CrossTraining

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading your post, I’d suggest seminary. No one knows the cross like clergy. Theoretically, anyway.

Should that not read "theologically" rather than "theoretically"?

DUO ART

White Belt
Reaction score
I cross train at my school. Though I have the same Sensi for both my arts. Taking Krav Maga has improved my Kenpo a lot. Now I will be honest, Sometimes I will break out of a Kenpo choke hold using Krav and vice versa, however, I like the options both arts give me.

Its fun during sparing either my Krav or Kenpo folks, cause I can use both arts in sparing. Now I'm not gonna lie, my poor legs hat me some days, because they are usually very tired after doing intense workouts 5 days a week.

There is a lot of crossover moves from Kenpo and Krav as well. So I see the benefits quicker. When it comes to roundhouse kicks, punches, cross jabs , and basic front kicks. I have been told by another student ,that takes both arts as well, that there will be some groundwork similar as well .

Again, all is not perfect in Krav land for me as I do confuse breakouts form grabs and chocks from each art sometimes, But I love having the extra options.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cross train at my school. Though I have the same Sensi for both my arts. Taking Krav Maga has improved my Kenpo a lot. Now I will be honest, Sometimes I will break out of a Kenpo choke hold using Krav and vice versa, however, I like the options both arts give me.

Its fun during sparing either my Krav or Kenpo folks, cause I can use both arts in sparing. Now I'm not gonna lie, my poor legs hat me some days, because they are usually very tired after doing intense workouts 5 days a week.

There is a lot of crossover moves from Kenpo and Krav as well. So I see the benefits quicker. When it comes to roundhouse kicks, punches, cross jabs , and basic front kicks. I have been told by another student ,that takes both arts as well, that there will be some groundwork similar as well .

Again, all is not perfect in Krav land for me as I do confuse breakouts form grabs and chocks from each art sometimes, But I love having the extra options.
That's the problem with learning 2 styles at once for martial art purposes. Nothing wrong with it for self defence but in a grading situation if you use a kenpo technique in a Krav Maga grading it won't look good for you

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the problem with learning 2 styles at once for martial art purposes. Nothing wrong with it for self defence but in a grading situation if you use a kenpo technique in a Krav Maga grading it won't look good for you
I think that depends what the grading is looking for. I have "defense" testing, where the student just has to show competent defense against a given scenario or attack (for instance, very early on, they have to show competent defense against a basic set of punches). I don't care if they break out something they knew before, because the whole point of that test is to be sure they have competency in defending that specific thing. Now, if I'm testing a chop, and they give me something that's not similar to the chop I teach, that won't pass. For grappling techniques, it again depends on what I'm testing. If I want to see the Classical form of a Front Wrist Throw, and they show me kote gaeshi from some other art, that won't pass, because the Classical form is a specific thing. But if I ask for an application and they show me a version of kote gaeshi I'm not familiar with, I'm fine with that so long as it follows and demonstrates the principles I test for.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You might like Shotokan or Kyokushin karate. The Japanese-ness (is that a word?) might appeal to your JJJ roots over TKD.

Outside of Japanese systems, Boxing or BJJ never hurt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You just use the techniques you are supposed to use.

I think I have about 10 different rule sets I am messing about with at the moment.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's something that's always frustrated me. One (and only one) of my instructors was of the mindset "You need to be able to defend yourself against X. Here's our way, as long as you know it, you don't have to do it again." On the testing, as long as my technique was clean, and I was successful, he didn't care how I defended myself. I liked that, but I think it only worked because the class sizes were really small, so he knew that I learned his way too.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pick one style and stick with it, that is the only way you will become proficient. Never mind, that within that style you will have people give you conflicting opinions. All fun stuff.

For me, I never set out to learn my style; it is what my Sifu teaches.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's something that's always frustrated me. One (and only one) of my instructors was of the mindset "You need to be able to defend yourself against X. Here's our way, as long as you know it, you don't have to do it again." On the testing, as long as my technique was clean, and I was successful, he didn't care how I defended myself. I liked that, but I think it only worked because the class sizes were really small, so he knew that I learned his way too.
I actually have some material where I don't even require they learn my version. I have a "foundation" test that's intended for about 10-20 classes in, to make sure they've got a few basics they can execute. If someone with experience joins a class, I'll check for their ability to do these things before I teach each one. If they can already do them, I won't go over most of them unless they really want me to, since the point is that this is just a foundation to build on before we get into the NGA curriculum. They'll likely run into my answers to these somewhere along the way if they train for a while, but it's not required.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick one style and stick with it, that is the only way you will become proficient. Never mind, that within that style you will have people give you conflicting opinions. All fun stuff.

For me, I never set out to learn my style; it is what my Sifu teaches.
Almost every proficient martial artist I know has significant training in more than one style. Many hold rank in multiple styles.

I agree with the "stick with it", but it's entirely possible to pick more than one style.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stick with what you are learning...Yes, if possible.
Pick and stay with only 1...Only if you what such. I firmly believe I’ve learned more about my art through the training of other systems than having just trained in single system.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You might like Shotokan or Kyokushin karate. ..

From a personal standpoint I agree with this, doing an style like Shotokan, Kyokushin, Tang Soo Do, etc - that do forms (or kata), having some training in Jujutsu actually bridges the gaps that are apparent in a lot of schools between kihon, kata and kumite... Well that's what I found... It does really open up the art(s)...

However, which one is best for you, is really done to you and the instructor - try out the schools in your area, try out a lesson or three from each of them to see which one is for you - after all, it's not just about the art, it's about the learning process (how it's taught) as well as the medium (how well the teaching styles suits you) :)