Crocodile's Curse A New Illegal Drug

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just when you think that illicit drugs couldn't get any worse beyond angel dust, crack/cocaine, heroin, now comes the next step, Krokodil. Cheaper and easier to make. It not just kills it disfigures the survivors and causes permanent brain damage.

By SIMON SHUSTER / CHICHEVO, RUSSIA – Tue Jun 21, 12:55 am ET
The new arrivals at the drug rehab center in Chichevo, a tiny village two hours' drive east of Moscow, are usually given two weeks without chores to recover from the nausea, pain and sleeplessness of withdrawal. After that, between Bible study and prayer (the center is run by Pentecostals) they have to start chopping firewood, hauling water from the village well or otherwise helping around the old wooden house. But a lot more leeway was allowed in the case of Irina Pavlova, the only resident at the center who is addicted to krokodil, or crocodile, Russia's deadliest new designer drug.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/201106...lYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDdGhlY3Vyc2VvZnRo
Shouldn't be too long before it starts entering the states.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...Gives new meaning to the term crocodile tears. I don't think it will really catch on in the US. Its not like I can step out my door and buy Heroine where I live; but, it is available to those in the know. I just don't see it being used by the general public.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes meth look like smoking a bong....
Not really. A guy made some meth with some of my stainless steel black oxide mix from work. The first guy to try it ended up in a coma, and the guy that stole my mix ended up floating face down in the Spokane river. I can see safer versions being made of the crock, but don't go thinking meth is safe.:)
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. A guy made some meth with some of my stainless steel black oxide mix from work. The first guy to try it ended up in a coma, and the guy that stole my mix ended up floating face down in the Spokane river. I can see safer versions being made of the crock, but don't go thinking meth is safe.:)
Sean

Hell no, that ***** ain't safe...but that kroc....yiekes...and all for a one hour high?!

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Americans invented it (desomorphine) in the 30's, it seems. They used to sell it as an operative analgesic in a few European countries, didn't use it here because of the addiction potential. Also, I wonder how much of the health problem is the bottom grade industrial chemicals being used - a proper distillation includes things like palladium based catalysts, and is a pretty ugly procedure.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that the "rotting" effect, assuming it's even real as described, is due to the methods of cooking and production and not the drug itself. The drug itself, desomorphine, is synthesized and prescribed for medical use, and needless to say it doesn't rot anyone. From the article, the codeine is mixed with "gasoline, paint thinner, hydrochloric acid, iodine and red phosphorous, which they scrape from the striking pads on matchboxes." I would bet you anything that the effects seen are from those substances, and not the drug itself.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Gives new meaning to the term crocodile tears. I don't think it will really catch on in the US. Its not like I can step out my door and buy Heroine where I live; but, it is available to those in the know. I just don't see it being used by the general public.
Sean
That's what they said about marijuana, acid, cocaine and crack...

Never underestimate the lure of a better high's power... nor underestimate the people willing to sell that lure for a profit.

It'll be here. Give it time.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's what they said about marijuana, acid, cocaine and crack...

Never underestimate the lure of a better high's power... nor underestimate the people willing to sell that lure for a profit.

It'll be here. Give it time.
I just don't see a lot of opium making it over here. I may be naive but its pretty tight at the border for businesses and military service men. I, again, could be wrong.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just don't see a lot of opium making it over here. I may be naive but its pretty tight at the border for businesses and military service men. I, again, could be wrong.
The opium trade in this country have been going on for a long time. Only until 1907 did it start being illegal.
There were no legal restrictions on the importation or use of opium in the United States until the San Francisco, California, Opium Den Ordinance, which banned dens for public smoking of opium in 1875, a measure fueled by anti-Chinese sentiment and the perception that whites were starting to frequent the dens. This was followed by an 1891 California law requiring that narcotics carry warning labels and that their sales be recorded in a registry, amendments to the California Pharmacy and Poison Act in 1907 making it a crime to sell opiates without a prescription, and bans on possession of opium or opium pipes in 1909.[56]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium#Prohibition_outside_China
I don't think you're naive at all alright. A lot of people don't understand or see the drug trade as it's happening. Remember how a big drug bust used to be headlining news? Now it's somewhere around page 3 or 5?

Opium production in Afghanistan has been on the rise since U.S. occupation started in 2001. Based on UNODC data, there has been more opium poppy cultivation in each of the past four growing seasons (2004–2007) than in any one year during Taliban rule. Also, more land is now used for opium in Afghanistan than for coca cultivation in Latin America. In 2007, 92% of the opiates on the world market originated in Afghanistan.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_production_in_Afghanistan#cite_note-0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_production_in_Afghanistan

So if it's no problem for heroin to get into our country then it shouldn't be a concern for those wanting to bring krokodil in.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the article -- it's nothing they need to bring in. And I suspect that the "rot" and several of the other side effects are as much a result of infection and other problems that accompany any IV drug as the effects of anything the drug is made with. Don't get me wrong -- cook up a drug using crappy stuff and you're not doing your body any favors, but I bet infection, damage to the veins and skin, and the like. For example, I arrested a long-time heroin user some years back that needed to be medically cleared. They almost did a cut-down, his skin and veins were so bad... his skin literally "popped" when they put the needle in.

Latest Discussions