Critique vs Criticism

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by jks9199, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    Well they are...but we all know why...you BJJ guys are so enamored with us old School American Jiu-Jitsu guys that you adopted our spelling...because you want to be like us.... and who could blame you...based on our awesomeness, and attractiveness :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Factual assertion (easily verified): Jujutsu is the blanket term for a family of martial arts originating in Japan.

Factual assertion (verifiable with some work, but subject to the uncertainties of the historical record): Miura Ryu was founded by Miura Yojuiemon.

Opinion: Danzan Ryu (is/is not) a (legitimate/traditional) form of jujutsu. To reduce this to a verifiable question of fact, you must first precisely define what you mean by "legitimate" or "traditional." Since there is no consensus among the martial arts community (or even among those who self-identify as traditional martial artists) as to the meanings of these terms, you can't defer to authority. You have to explain what you mean by the terms in the current discussion. Even once you nail down your definitions, you will still have uncertainties regarding the underlying facts. (i.e. what exactly did Okizaki actually study besides Kodokan Judo?)

Opinion: The most important principles of judo are Maximum efficiency with minimum effort and Mutual Welfare and benefit. Judo is practiced by millions of people with different goals and priorities and has evolved considerably over the 130+ years. What you consider to be the most important principles depends very much on who you are as a practitioner.

Factual assertion (easily verifiable): Jigaro Kano, the founder of judo, identified Maximum efficiency with minimum effort and Mutual Welfare and benefit as the highest goals of judo.

Opinion: The most effective way to execute a rear naked choke is xyz.

Factual assertion: In my 20+ years of grappling with non-compliant opponents, I have had a much higher rate of success executing the rear naked choke like xyz, as opposed to methods abc or 123.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Ha! That must be it! :D

Found the language discussion. Pretty fun stuff. I enjoyed reading through it again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

When 孟子(Meng Zi) said, "予岂好辩哉?予不得已也 (I don't like to argue, but sometime I just don't have any choice)." When he said that, he was arguing. Even ancient Chinese sage loved to argue, we normal human being should not expect us not to argue in our daily life.

But since this thread is trying to discuss "how to avoid argument", at least that what I think the subject is, I'm not going to respond to your post and start to "argue".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. Transk53

Transk53 The Dark Often Prevails

• Supporting Member
    Hell why not, the reverse often counts.

6. Jake104

Jake104 Black Belt

We all get along. It's just an act. We pretend to disagree and argue to keep the rest of Martial talk entertained. I think we do a stellar job by the way. See, we had you fooled? ;)

7. Transk53

Transk53 The Dark Often Prevails

• Supporting Member
    Looking at that should have been "is it" Yeah I see what you are saying and probably most would be a little combative in a friendly way ;) Thing is though, I kind of sit there in front of a screen and taking bets with myself as to whom will pull the trigger first :D I wouldn't say anything is wrong though, just maybe somethings should be a little more measured. Like one post is outstanding with the conveyed content and ideas, only for another to be just as stellar, but bloody well confusing because it alludes to the opposite. Sometimes seems like there are a million types and a million ways to do Wing Chun kind of thing.

8. dvcochran

dvcochran Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Very well said. Verbal gesture's and expressions cannot be understated. Something impossible to replace or equal with written and certainly not with emoji's. I cannot feel the passion a person has about a topic reading it off the screen. Remembering how important the visual queue's are in conversation should help all of us be more thoughtful in what we write for all to see.

• Like Like x 1