Criminal shootings

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the shooting classes I've taken I've been told that criminals are usually bad shots. There are exceptions to that but from what I've been told criminals that use guns are not that different in most people that own or use guns in that they get a gun and shoot maybe a box of ammo and think that they can then solve any problem, or in the criminal's case, cause any problem with a gun. That being said, somebody with good training and a good gun that they're skilled with should be able to take on most criminals who are usually going to be lousy shots. Like I said, there are exceptions but most criminals I've been told fall into the category of being bad shots.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the shooting classes I've taken I've been told that criminals are usually bad shots. There are exceptions to that but from what I've been told criminals that use guns are not that different in most people that own or use guns in that they get a gun and shoot maybe a box of ammo and think that they can then solve any problem, or in the criminal's case, cause any problem with a gun. That being said, somebody with good training and a good gun that they're skilled with should be able to take on most criminals who are usually going to be lousy shots. Like I said, there are exceptions but most criminals I've been told fall into the category of being bad shots.

Would that not imply the bad shot criminal would go for a weapon that could negate that. IE a shotgun or MP.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Criminals are people. That means they're going to run the gamut from World Class Sniper to Complete Bonehead (like the one I treated in the wee hours of the morning today, who shot himself in the leg while trying to break into a business).
And in a gunfight, pretty much everybody becomes a rotten shot anyway.

If you're taking classes that make ridiculous unsupportable assumptions like "all criminals are bad shots", I'd look for a different class.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Would that not imply the bad shot criminal would go for a weapon that could negate that. IE a shotgun or MP.

The vast majority (something like 98% IIRC) of firearm crimes in the US involve a handgun.

Edit:
On quick factchecking of this statement it is something like 88% of firearm murders are commited by a handgun. I'll keep looking as a percentage of all crime, but 98% does seem high.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was never taught that all criminals are bad shots. As I said in my first post there are exceptions. A good example of an exception would be the case of Platt and Matix back in the mid 80s who were both highly trained and both had served in the Army. In 1986 they had a big shootout with the FBI and although they were both killed, so were two FBI agents and a whole bunch of others were medically retired. So yes sometimes you will come up against a criminal or criminals who are highly skilled shooters such as Platt and Matix but that is rare. Platt and Matix were an extreme exception.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is to say criminals don't take classes or use gun ranges either?
The idea that shotguns do not need to be aimed is a myth.

Just as well it's a myth, we'd be in trouble up here when the grouse and pheasant shooting season started otherwise :D

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because lots of people who own or use guns think that just having a gun and ammo is enough and that you only need a minimal of training. You will even find police officers and soldiers with this mindset. So with people thinking that a gun and ammo is enough and they think that they only need a minimal amount of knowledge and skill that would be most people in the gun community including criminals.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will even find police officers and soldiers with this mindset

Now why would they think that when they are obviously trained? :facepalm: And of course you have proof that people think this way?

Just a little thing to please me?...Please don't start a sentence with 'because', it sort of hurts. :rolleyes:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no statistics on what percent of criminals are bad shots but I am not about to believe their shot will not hit me if they point a firearm at me. Heck I'm not about to think it is unloaded or that they are not going to pull the trigger.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just as well it's a myth, we'd be in trouble up here when the grouse and pheasant shooting season started otherwise :D

Er are raisins not the most effective method laced with poison lol :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no statistics on what percent of criminals are bad shots but I am not about to believe their shot will not hit me if they point a firearm at me. Heck I'm not about to think it is unloaded or that they are not going to pull the trigger.

Yeah makes sense. Must be a difficult presumption.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transk53 said:
Er are raisins not the most effective method laced with poison lol :)

No they mistake the raisins for rabbit poo! And there is a moral for the thread there......

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In general, the "average street thug" with a cheap Bersa .380 or Hi-Tech 9mm IS a "bad shot". Or more accurately an "untrained shooter". But they will still have a better chance of shooting you than you think. The reason they seem so good is (IMO) twofold.

First they typically have the advantage of initiative. Usually the badguy is the one making the decision to shoot. They have the OODA Loop advantage. It's a LOT easier to be a better shot than your opponent when you get to decide when to pull the gun, and shoot when YOU want, while the other guy has to react.

Second. These guys don't give a $%^& who or what they hit. They get to point the gun in any direction, and at any person or group of people they want, and unload in the general direction. This is usually from close range, with you having to react/catch-up with their actions.

Yeah, yeah, I've read the reports in the police trade rags talking about how the average gang-banger spends more time "on the range" shooting his crap gun at a wall in some project "warzone". But I believe the reasons above are more likely than "Ice Cube OG" having anything approaching effective and legitimate training.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now why would they think that when they are obviously trained? :facepalm: And of course you have proof that people think this way?
At least in this country, police officers don't receive that much mandatory training with firearms. At a standard police academy you only get a week and a half of training with guns and then once a year they have a mandatory qualification test that involves shooting at paper targets. There is so much more you've got to know to be a police officer that very little time is spent with mandatory firearms training. I know and have spoken with police officers and with people who work in gun shops who know lots of police officers.

Just a little thing to please me?...Please don't start a sentence with 'because', it sort of hurts. :rolleyes:

And why does it hurt? You shouldn't be so sensitive, especially with stuff people say over the internet.

Latest Discussions