Creating Kata for Competition

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I had to make up a form for my black sash. I chose the battle ax. We could make up either a weapon form or a empty hand form.

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just an update: I've finally managed to make a start on an original kata. I have to have it ready to perform at my rank testing in mid-July; I think I can make it.

For any of you who are also doing this, here's the bit of advice one of my instructors gave me that finally clicked: start with the pattern of a kata you already know, but use different techniques. Just moving in a familiar direction allowed me to make a start.

The other instructor advice that I've taken to heart (but that didn't help me get started) is "play to your strengths." I'm a good kicker; I can kick high with good form, and I can do good spinning and turning kicks, so there will be a LOT of kicks in this kata. I'm NOT a good jumper, so at most there might be a flying side kick in there; or, if I can improve enough, a turning jump crescent kick or jump spinning reverse crescent kick (but those are unlikely, and my ankle is very sore from stubbornly over-practicing them on Monday.)

Thanks for all the advice, and let me know if you have other ideas.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want it to be a little more unique, play around with how you perform your kiai/kihap. Have some fun with what you do.

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so I got the basics of my kata done and showed them to my instructor on Tuesday. He liked it, and had very few change suggestions, but I then decided *I* didn't like some parts of it and pretty much gutted it. It flows much better now.

There are a lot of kicks in it (I'm a kicker), but I only get airborne (barely) twice--one jump front kick and one flying side kick.

I was originally planning to keep it under wraps until my next official brown belt test in mid-July (I'll be taking a stripe off at that one if I pass; I'm also going to one this month, but only as practice), but my instructor said I was far enough along with it that I should do it at our invitational tournament on May 9th. :uhoh:

Eek! I think I'd better practice 8 hours a day for the next week. At least no one will know if I do the wrong technique!

Latest Discussions