Crashing Wings, Giant Slayer Kenpo and Maybe Kenpo 4.5

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I know those guys! :ultracool

Very nice. Good find, James. I haven't seen these before. I like that Mr Jim put a "what if?" example in there.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a good technique but I think the "what if" scenario should of addressed the large attacker stepping backward with intent. My instink with my arms checked wouldn't of been going forward.

He may have addressed that on the original tape. I do like the addittion of "what ifs" because that is what puts it togeter and makes it real.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That technique is Circling Elbows in the Tracy system. I like the way he does it, very realistic in my opinion. Notice that he does not lift his hands above his head in order to crash down on his attacker's arms, which would assist his attacker in lifting him.

I usually teach the followups of "Spreading the Leaves", or the beginning of "Rolling Evasion" if the hold turns into some generated forward momentum.

Jim

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That technique is Circling Elbows in the Tracy system. I like the way he does it, very realistic in my opinion. Notice that he does not lift his hands above his head in order to crash down on his attacker's arms, which would assist his attacker in lifting him.

I usually teach the followups of "Spreading the Leaves", or the beginning of "Rolling Evasion" if the hold turns into some generated forward momentum.

Jim

Jim, would you be at all interested in breaking out these techs and starting a technical discussion to explore this a little more?

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Spreading the Leaves is for a full nelson with forward momentum but also works well for a rear bear hug (arms free) with forward momentum. Simply step forward with the push and drive a series of elbows back into the attackers head.

If the attacker pushes you away and down, releasing you, perform a front break fall, rear kick from the ground, leg scissors take down, and a series of descending kicks to the downed attacker (rolling evasion).

Jim

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spreading the Leaves is for a full nelson with forward momentum but also works well for a rear bear hug (arms free) with forward momentum. Simply step forward with the push and drive a series of elbows back into the attackers head.

If the attacker pushes you away and down, releasing you, perform a front break fall, rear kick from the ground, leg scissors take down, and a series of descending kicks to the downed attacker (rolling evasion).

Jim

Just what this place needed, so more Tracy influence.
icon14.gif
Keep the posts coming. Good to hear your thoughts. :asian:

Latest Discussions