Counters?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For th triangle, try looking up to the sky--directly over head--and straighten up as you do so.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Sounds too easy for the fighters not to have figured that out. I'm talking escapes when the holds are sinched in tight.

I can't tell how many fights I've seen where the recipient just lasy there waiting to tap. They're clueless. They just focus on application, and ignore escape. That theory doesn't make sense if that's your career, you're serious about it, and you Know you'll face them-many times.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yup, lots ;)

Oh, you wanted specifics? :D

How are you getting caught?

For a triangle from guard the first thing is to posture up as soon as you feel there legs go up, if they can't pull your head down they can't lock it.

Failing that turn into it, keeping your shoulder off thier neck, if their hips are on the wrong side, no choke and you can break it.

Or stack them up hard, driver their knees to the ground, most people will loose the choke if you can get it tight enough.

Pull their knee to the ground and turn in.

Knee in the belly and force yourself out.

Grab their head and pull it in, sprawl driving your hips to the ground and head up.

Step over them with your leg and hook.

and step 2, youtube provides a couple:

[yt]HkDeNT0dCtk[/yt]

[yt]-7ZesgnYsos[/yt]

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds too easy for the fighters not to have figured that out. I'm talking escapes when the holds are sinched in tight.

I can't tell how many fights I've seen where the recipient just lasy there waiting to tap. They're clueless. They just focus on application, and ignore escape. That theory doesn't make sense if that's your career, you're serious about it, and you Know you'll face them-many times.
Properly applied -- there's not much you can do once a rear-naked choke is on. That's why the struggle is to keep it from being locked in...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In some cases a lock has a point of no return. Where the escape is to break something. :(

But if you can get the person to react and move i.e. loosen up the lock then you can get a counter.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

To many of them really are absolutely clueless and they have limited skills. They just have not spent the time and training (talking years) to understand many of the counters. Yet those special ones that are competing and know the counters are very hard to submit.

There is also the effect of having taken a few shots during a competition that sometimes rattles a guy and he is unable to put a counter into play. Still many of these guy's are just clueless.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once any submission is really cinched in there is not much you can do apart from tap (or let something break or go to sleep) Escapes have to come before its locked tight.

slideyfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
None around for the rear naked choke? How about the Guillotine?

Not that I've had a whole lot of success with it yet (although thats more down to my lack of skill than the techniqe, I assume), but the escape I've been shown is to first turn your head towards the elbow that’s choking you, then defend your neck. Most important is that you prevent the other arm getting behind your head (as otherwise the choke is locked in) - ideally, you overhook it and trap the arm against your side. Bridge up and drop your shoulders into your opponents chest, which should hopefully loosen up their hooks enough that you can remove a leg on the same side as the choking elbow, move round then turn over into side control. Rather easier said than done. ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
None around for the rear naked choke?

I agree with the others. Prior to though, you could try tucking your chin and shrugging your shoulders. You want to try something to secure an airway.

How about the Guillotine?

Placing an arm over their shoulder should take some of the pressure off.

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rear Naked choke - Don't let those arms lock up or its lights out.

If you can get one of his arms to the other side of your head that is good. If you can unhook a leg and turn over that is good. If you can wiggle your shoulders to the ground that is good.

Guillotine - Put your nose to the floor, butt in the air and pull his arm down until you got space to yank your head out.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does all this mean so much for the "every hold has a counter argument" ?

Once a hold is on--that's it? Sleep or tap? BJJ doesn't teach counters to all of their holds?

Once things hit a certain point yes, that's it, game over.

You got to escape before its locked, or they got to apply it poorly. Once something is sunk and locked its lights out.

Like a punch, there are many ways to avoid getting KOed until it's blasting through your jaw, at that point its over and your out.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be argumentative with all of you, truly. I respect the art of BJJ tremendously. So, This is for conversation and learning. Could it be that the Brazilians made sure to teach this way in order to keep the "check" so that if used against them they would have the upper hands. Kind of like the way Karate styles "hid" stuff from Americans, but, taught correctly to their own. I say this because I only hear about counters to sinched in holds from non BJJ people. More like from those that have disected the art and it's holds.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nope, its a sport based art with new counters and attacks being developed constantly. The brazillians started the movement, but its not entirely under there control anymore.

Every attack has a counter, but every counter also has a counter. Taps come at the point that not tapping means falling asleep or having something seriously injured.

SUbmission is about control and isolation, using good leveredge against poor leveredge. Once things are in tight you screwed up, you lost, checkmate.

And thats what it is, checkmate. Like in chess, everything CAN be prevented, until a certain point, and then it doesn't matter what you do, the other guy wins. The goal is to put the other person in a position that they are checkmated, and they have to stop you before it gets to that point.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
O.k. How about stalemate positions? Where you could be locked in, but the recipient can move to, so that no matter how much you squeeze, they feel the pressure but don't go out or have to tap.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stalemates happen in chess too, no one wins unless the person forcing it does something else. See Shamrock vs Gracie II :D

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know, but I meant it about the holds discussed.
icon7.gif
Are there any to those?