Counters To The Disarms

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Rich,

Sorry for the delayed reply...I just saw this. Anyways...I never said, and I apologize in advance if I gave that impression, that I was actually suggesting that learning the basics, wasn't important.

Mike,

I understood your point or do so now. I was mostly using you who are open and asking questions to get replies and to have people express opinions as the person I addressed. I did not mean anything personal. :)
We have met in person, it is all good.

But where does it go from there? My point was simply...instead of just filling the students with stuff, giving them static drills, never having them test this stuff, why not move past that, and see what they can really pull off. That was my point when I was talking about Larry in my last post. Instead of giving someone a drill, disarm, technique, etc, and let them assume that it'll work as taught, turn the heat up a bit, isolate that drill, and see if it'll really work, when someone is really swinging at you.

To many people, it is all filler. To many a student it is a filler, or the minimum requirements for their next belt. In my club I have "previous Requirements" as a requirement. So I can ask anything from the past. It helps to keep them on their toes and understanding it is all tied together and not just bits and pieces.

I agree, some people have complained that I swing too hard, yet I do not do it to hurt people, but to show them that their block is solid. Then they know it is a good basic and to trust it. Once that is in place people have the chance to step it up and to move around a little. And there is nothing wrong with turning up the heat as you say. I recommend you have someone near by to call halt or break if things get a little to hot. For if you are in the pan with the other person you are not paying attention to the safety factor as someone from the outside can.

I dont know, maybe its just me, but I think alot of the time, people are happy with just doing what they're doing, and tend to frown upon people who feel its necessary to kick things up a bit.

People like to feel good. They like to think they are learning something cool and new. So if you have Technique X and can call it Y with a slight variation you have somethign new to teach for for people to learn. I see it for marketing and I see it for general habits of people on how it has come about and how it does come about.

Yet, this goes back to your instructor thread, you need to have someone check you out even if it is just a peer.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

I understood your point or do so now. I was mostly using you who are open and asking questions to get replies and to have people express opinions as the person I addressed. I did not mean anything personal. :)
We have met in person, it is all good.

No problem. It was good meeting you as well, and I hope that opportunity presents itself again in the future. :)

To many people, it is all filler. To many a student it is a filler, or the minimum requirements for their next belt. In my club I have "previous Requirements" as a requirement. So I can ask anything from the past. It helps to keep them on their toes and understanding it is all tied together and not just bits and pieces.

I agree, some people have complained that I swing too hard, yet I do not do it to hurt people, but to show them that their block is solid. Then they know it is a good basic and to trust it. Once that is in place people have the chance to step it up and to move around a little. And there is nothing wrong with turning up the heat as you say. I recommend you have someone near by to call halt or break if things get a little to hot. For if you are in the pan with the other person you are not paying attention to the safety factor as someone from the outside can.

Agreed. Things can get out of hand without someone keeping an eye on whats happening. As for the 'filler' comment I made...thats the way it is in our org. We have our set required list of things that need to be done. However, IMHO, I feel that as instructors, they should build upon that. I think that mixing things up a bit, is good. Instead of following the same old pattern, class after class, which I think sooner or later, will get pretty boring, why not take one of those drills, isolate it, and build from there? I'm sure theres more to the art than what we have listed as requirement material....lol. Thing is...I wonder how many actually do this?

People like to feel good. They like to think they are learning something cool and new. So if you have Technique X and can call it Y with a slight variation you have somethign new to teach for for people to learn. I see it for marketing and I see it for general habits of people on how it has come about and how it does come about.

True, and I suppose everyone trains for different reasons. IMO though, I want to know that something is going to stand a good chance of working. Nothing is more humbling, IMO, than to have something you thought worked, get shattered in front of your eyes, when the flame is turned up a bit...lol.

Yet, this goes back to your instructor thread, you need to have someone check you out even if it is just a peer.

Very true Rich. This is why I personally feel that its important to have someone. Sadly, not everyone feels that way, but thats their loss.

Rocky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I use to require a new disarms and counter to said disarm for every belt, with a minimum of 12 disarms and counters to each strike with the left and right hand making for 288 per side, but over the years I realized that the more complex you make the plumbing the easier it is to stuff up, and since disarms are used only when you are late, I spend more time teaching not to be late. But if you are going to teach it always looks cool when you can dazzle them with cool disarms and , who, doesn't want to look cool?

Rocky

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I worked on counters to disarms today, actually. I'll have to make a video and post it here. It's a fun subject.

Just to add something to the thread. I know approximately 3-7 counters to most disarms. What the most interesting part is, is when after I'm done showing my students everything I know say for one type of disarm, I tell them to see if they can 'make up' any others. Or have them 'make up' more disarms also. The techniques they come up with are great.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I worked on counters to disarms today, actually. I'll have to make a video and post it here. It's a fun subject.

Just to add something to the thread. I know approximately 3-7 counters to most disarms. What the most interesting part is, is when after I'm done showing my students everything I know say for one type of disarm, I tell them to see if they can 'make up' any others. Or have them 'make up' more disarms also. The techniques they come up with are great.

So, how did this work out for them? What did they come up with? :)

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score

My student does about 3 or 4 counters to the 'snake' disarm that everyone knows. If you notice that all of the counters are usually a slight movement of my student's stick hand
[yt]tKg9BLXBIto[/yt]

@Mike I don't remember exactly what they came up with. It would be a pain to even explain one technique with text though too.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked the Abecedario with the little girl.

Latest Discussions