Counter torque

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Tatum's TOW this month is B2aH with a Thrusting sweep kick simultaneous with the Heel Palm. He then discussed "Counter torque". I thought it was an interesting TOW but I was not aware of counter torque as a power principle. Any thoughts about Counter Torque?

Thanks,

Jeff

M

MisterMike

I dunno :idunno: I didn't think you could torque a thrusting sweep kick.

An example of counter torque is when your body rotates away from the direction of your weapon. Like a step-through in reverse while executing a vertical outward block off the front arm. (Short 1)

Although Kenpo-ists coined the term, it isn't a unique principle to only kenpo. They just feel the need to classify everything ;)

OP
K

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
I dunno :idunno: I didn't think you could torque a thrusting sweep kick.

An example of counter torque is when your body rotates away from the direction of your weapon. Like a step-through in reverse while executing a vertical outward block off the front arm. (Short 1)

Although Kenpo-ists coined the term, it isn't a unique principle to only kenpo. They just feel the need to classify everything ;)

I would call that Counter Rotation and not counter torque. Clyde explained on Kenponet that Countertorque occurs when the top half and bottom half of the body rotate in opposite directions. In the TOW it looked to me like the force of the Heelpalm was increased as a result of backup mass. I am curious what others think.

Jeff

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion of B2aH with a thrusting sweep kick is opposing forces. Again, that's just my opinion. I haven't seen Mr. Tatum's web site though but as I picture it in my mind I would classify it as opposing forces. :asian:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I would call that Counter Rotation and not counter torque. Clyde explained on Kenponet that Countertorque occurs when the top half and bottom half of the body rotate in opposite directions. In the TOW it looked to me like the force of the Heelpalm was increased as a result of backup mass. I am curious what others think.

Jeff

I guess I'll post... I was the one that he hit in the clip, and dood!!! Did that smart!!! (Ouch!!!)

Mr. Tatum's hips turned one way with the kick as his shoulders turned with the heel palm. Look for it and you'll see it.

As for the terms... Rotation is the action, Torque is the result.

Here's the link for the clip: April 1 Tip Of The Week

OP
K

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
I guess I'll post... I was the one that he hit in the clip, and dood!!! Did that smart!!! (Ouch!!!)

Mr. Tatum's hips turned one way with the kick as his shoulders turned with the heel palm. Look for it and you'll see it.

As for the terms... Rotation is the action, Torque is the result.

Here's the link for the clip: April 1 Tip Of The Week

Agreed, the top portion is counter clockwise torque, the bottom is clockwise torque. but why would opposing torques increase the force of the Heelpalm?

I think the force is increased because the whole body moves forward and adds backup mass to the strike along with the torque. 2 power principles used simultaneously. I liked the move and plan to play with it but I would say that the increased power was due to added backup mass not countertorque.

The counter rotation comment is in reponse to Mr. Mikes comment. A step through reverse with a vertical outward block would be counter rotation with the body rotating in the opposite way from the blocking arm. That rotation does not increase the power of the block.

Thanks for responding,

Jeff

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Agreed, the top portion is counter clockwise torque, the bottom is clockwise torque. but why would opposing torques increase the force of the Heelpalm?

I think the force is increased because the whole body moves forward and adds backup mass to the strike along with the torque. 2 power principles used simultaneously. I liked the move and plan to play with it but I would say that the increased power was due to added backup mass not countertorque.

The counter rotation comment is in reponse to Mr. Mikes comment. A step through reverse with a vertical outward block would be counter rotation with the body rotating in the opposite way from the blocking arm. That rotation does not increase the power of the block.

Thanks for responding,

Jeff
If you've already had the question answered and you still believe what you do, why are you asking it again? Is there something that will make you change your mind?

Dark Lord

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Man!
I could SHOW you, but every time I try to explain it out in writing (I've been trying on word to get it down right) I end up tripping over my own words.

Like Steve Martin said:
"Some people have a way with words and some people...
just not have way."

Strangely enough, I could show you how this principle works by demonstrating the motion of one of my sons toys... it's a stick with two marbles on strings on either side...when you shake it up and down with an even rythm the balls smack on the top and on the bottom with a good deal of force. These balls would be like ones arms and the stick like the torso, the clockwise rotation of one creates a synergistic effect with the counterclockwise rotation of the other.
Like I said, words....NO.
If you were here in my basement (and I could find my sons toy amongst the crap in his room.... :( ) I could SHOW you.

Your Brother
John

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:

Directional Harmony plays an integral part in increasing the power of the heel palm strike. The upper body and the heel palm strike are moving in the same direction, and in unison, thus increasing the power of the heel palm strike accordingly. The same goes with the kick, although it is moving in the opposite direction of the heel palm it is moving in the same direction and in unison with the lower body.

Kenpodoc said:

I don't doubt that the force of the heel palm is increased by Mr. Tatum's forward momentum and back-up mass. It definately was, but it was also augmented by the rotation of Mr. Tatum's upper body. Likewise, his kick was augmented by the rotation of his lower body.

Counter-Torque might not be the most prominent power principle in the technique for you, but it is definately there.

:asian:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Directional Harmony plays an integral part in increasing the power of the heel palm strike. The upper body and the heel palm strike are moving in the same direction, and in unison, thus increasing the power of the heel palm strike accordingly. The same goes with the kick, although it is moving in the opposite direction of the heel palm it is moving in the same direction and in unison with the lower body.

I don't doubt that the force of the heel palm is increased by Mr. Tatum's forward momentum and back-up mass. It definately was, but it was also augmented by the rotation of Mr. Tatum's upper body. Likewise, his kick was augmented by the rotation of his lower body.

Counter-Torque might not be the most prominent power principle in the technique for you, but it is definately there.

I love all the definitions in kenpo. Too bad I can't keep up with them without a cheat sheet. It was fun to see Billy get popped a couple times; liked the "thwack" sounds the best.

Love watching Mr. Tatum move; very Parker-esque in biomechanical signature. But what's with the guitar chick as centerpiece on a martial arts website? I wasn't sure at first if I even reached the right place.

All the best,

D.

OP
K

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
If you've already had the question answered and you still believe what you do, why are you asking it again? Is there something that will make you change your mind?

Dark Lord
Simply put, the question wasn't answered to my satisfaction. I found no reason to argue, but I wanted other opinions.

For example I disagree with Bill Lear that the kick and Heelpalm are going in different directions. They are going in the same direction but with the body rotating differently top and bottom (thus the term counter torque). I don't disagree that there is increased force in the heelpalm I just believe it is secondary to backup mass (because of directional harmony) and not directly from the countertorque. The Countertorque is an intersting way to add backup mass to what was previously a torque based power technique.

I also disagree with Brother John's example of the toy . With the toy the counter rotation feeds the repetitive nature of the movement but does not inclease the force. In fact the pull of the opposite balls decreases the force of each strike.

I would like to hear from others. I respect Clyde's, Billy's, Brother John's opinions but I disagree in this case and have yet to be convinced. Watch the video and you'll be impressed by Mr. Tatum but watch the power principles and tell me what you think.

Can my mind be changed, sure, but not by what I've heard so far. Mr. Wedlake laughed at me when I told him that I'm a cynic and don't believe things just because someone with more prestige, or more stripes tells me something. He also knows I like to have someone demonstrate something and change my mind.

In my opinion we should all listen, learn, play and have the right to ask questions and disagree. My instructor, Mr Hatfield, allows me to question him, disagree and play with the principles. Usually he changes my mind occassionally I've changed his.
I believe that true respect is shown (and earned) not through blind obedience (those people are just groupies) but through thoughtful consideration by both student and teacher.
Respectfully,

Jeff

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Just as it is hard to see any sort of one static stance in SD techniques because they all blend together in constant motion, it is also very hard to see one definitive method of generating power in SD techniques. After you have internalized the techniques your body will incorporate a myriad of ways of generating that required power. There may be one method that is the main driving force but there will be other ways of generating power present to a greater or lesser degree depending on how you have been taught or how you have tailored the techniques.

Rob

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I'll take a stab at it.

I've always thought of counter torque as used in gyroscopic devices. Picture two equal sized/weighted flywheels spinning at equal speeds in opposite directions mounted one atop the other. Their respective momentum should maintain balance.

It's really hard to describe concisely how this could apply to the technique as shown; I just drew myself a couple diagrams on my whiteboard to convince myself after trying the technique a few times. These are my conclusions:

1) The kick adds balance to the entire maneuver by providing angular momentum in the opposite direction of the upper body.

2) The movement of the center of mass closer to the opponent in the middle of the strike reduces the resistance to the motion (helping to accelerate it) while increasing leverage on the strike. To illustrate the improved leverage, picture a socket wrench on a bolt in front of you. Get in a right N. Bow stance and reach out to the wrench (you and the wrench seen from above would form almost a straight line) and push. Not much juice, eh? Now shuffle forward and side cover. Pull at the wrench, which is now closer and perpendicular to you. The maximum torque able to be exerted on the bolt should be much higher due to the improved angle of force.

There's a lot of forces at work here, biomechanical as well as simple physics, so I'm sure I'm not completely on target and certainly oversimplifying, but it's fun to think about. Great tip.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Simply put, the question wasn't answered to my satisfaction. I found no reason to argue, but I wanted other opinions.

For example I disagree with Bill Lear that the kick and Heelpalm are going in different directions. They are going in the same direction but with the body rotating differently top and bottom (thus the term counter torque). I don't disagree that there is increased force in the heelpalm I just believe it is secondary to backup mass (because of directional harmony) and not directly from the countertorque. The Countertorque is an intersting way to add backup mass to what was previously a torque based power technique.

I also disagree with Brother John's example of the toy . With the toy the counter rotation feeds the repetitive nature of the movement but does not inclease the force. In fact the pull of the opposite balls decreases the force of each strike.

I would like to hear from others. I respect Clyde's, Billy's, Brother John's opinions but I disagree in this case and have yet to be convinced. Watch the video and you'll be impressed by Mr. Tatum but watch the power principles and tell me what you think.

Can my mind be changed, sure, but not by what I've heard so far. Mr. Wedlake laughed at me when I told him that I'm a cynic and don't believe things just because someone with more prestige, or more stripes tells me something. He also knows I like to have someone demonstrate something and change my mind.

In my opinion we should all listen, learn, play and have the right to ask questions and disagree. My instructor, Mr Hatfield, allows me to question him, disagree and play with the principles. Usually he changes my mind occassionally I've changed his.
I believe that true respect is shown (and earned) not through blind obedience (those people are just groupies) but through thoughtful consideration by both student and teacher.
Respectfully,

Jeff

Jeff,

The path of action for both the kick and the heel palm are different, and probably not easy to see on the video. The principle highlighted in the clip is counter torque, although directional harmony (augmented by Mr. Tatum's back-up mass) did play a part in generating power in the move. Please re-read my last post.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:

Respectfully,

Jeff
Are you just seeking someone to substanstiate your position or what? I don't see the point in asking a question endless times only to receive the same answer and ask it again and again because you didn't like the answers you got.

Dark Lord

sumdumguy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:

Respectfully,

Jeff
Jeff, if you look at the paths traveled by the foot vs. the heel of palm you will notice that they travel on two different planes. The foot on a #1-3 and the heel of palm is traveling on a #9 in reverse. These two weapons are not moving in the same direction. It is this diversity of angels that assists in the "counter torque" process and adds increased power and acceloration to the two strikes. Try this yourself without the thrusting kick and see what has to happen to get the type of power you can generate with countering the torque. Try not to think about the torque, just think about the "counter" portion of that term, and realize that allthough each strike is powerfull when executed simultaneously, singularly they are a weaker weapon.

OP
K

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Are you just seeking someone to substanstiate your position or what? I don't see the point in asking a question endless times only to receive the same answer and ask it again and again because you didn't like the answers you got.

Dark Lord

Acutually I've gotten some very useful answers. I find it useful to hear more than one opinion. I'm curious to know why you think it useful to criticize the act of asking a question. Mister Mike, Mr. Lear, John, Sumdumguy, have all been helpful, Thanks.

You have merely been critical. Each to his own.

Jeff

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
My opinion of B2aH with a thrusting sweep kick is opposing forces. Again, that's just my opinion. I haven't seen Mr. Tatum's web site though but as I picture it in my mind I would classify it as opposing forces. :asian:
Its actualy a counter balance. Watch it and see if you can spot Coordination Set #1.(the counter balance set)
Sean

O

ob2c

Well, I'm no expert, nor nearly as experienced as most of you. But I can see where the counter torque adds power, and is in fact the major power principle at work in this move. In trying it, this feels very similar to many moves in Taiji.

Try moving slowly through this, and try to feel what your body is doing. Concentrate primarily on the muscles in your lower back, just behind the tantien. From the forward bow- punch and trap with anchored elbow, your weight shifts onto the right (lead) foot. In order to strike with a simultaneouse right heel palm and left instep kick, your right foot is naturally firmly rooted and your body core contracts on a diagonal from right shoulder to left leg. To do this effectively, movement has to be centered in the back, just behind the tantien. That core contraction, or counter torque, from a solidly rooted stance, is where the majority of the power comes from.

Any how, that is how I read this one. Another excellent TOW, and my thanks to Mr. Tatum.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ob2c said:
Well, I'm no expert, nor nearly as experienced as most of you. But I can see where the counter torque adds power, and is in fact the major power principle at work in this move. In trying it, this feels very similar to many moves in Taiji.

Try moving slowly through this, and try to feel what your body is doing. Concentrate primarily on the muscles in your lower back, just behind the tantien. From the forward bow- punch and trap with anchored elbow, your weight shifts onto the right (lead) foot. In order to strike with a simultaneouse right heel palm and left instep kick, your right foot is naturally firmly rooted and your body core contracts on a diagonal from right shoulder to left leg. To do this effectively, movement has to be centered in the back, just behind the tantien. That core contraction, or counter torque, from a solidly rooted stance, is where the majority of the power comes from.

Any how, that is how I read this one. Another excellent TOW, and my thanks to Mr. Tatum.
Actualy counter torque is one principle of counter balance.(your true source of power) This is just the same old Ed Parker lesson with a fancy new name.
Sean :asian:

Latest Discussions