Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A colleague who lives in the suburbs urged me to go to Costco but warned me that lines were long and shelves were empty. I live in the city and there is a market every 10 blocks, so I haven't really thought about it. But, I think I decided to make a brisket because a) I like making brisket b) I'm good at it and c) I could feed my family for 2 weeks on it if I had to. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A colleague who lives in the suburbs urged me to go to Costco but warned me that lines were long and shelves were empty. I live in the city and there is a market every 10 blocks, so I haven't really thought about it. But, I think I decided to make a brisket because a) I like making brisket b) I'm good at it and c) I could feed my family for 2 weeks on it if I had to. :)

I have to ask what do you mean when you say brisket? In the UK brisket is a particular cut of beef. (A cut of beef taken from just below the shoulder along the length of the chest/breast.) Are you butchering a cow?

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to ask what do you mean when you say brisket? In the UK brisket is a particular cut of beef. (A cut of beef taken from just below the shoulder along the length of the chest/breast.) Are you butchering a cow?

I would not, myself be butchering the cow. But, I think we're talking about the same cut of beef. It's a cheap, tough pair of muscles in the chest. I smoke it over wood and charcoal for 15-18 hours or so and then wait out the zombie apocalypse and listen to music.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would not, myself be butchering the cow. But, I think we're talking about the same cut of beef. It's a cheap, tough pair of muscles in the chest. I smoke it over wood and charcoal for 15-18 hours or so and then wait out the zombie apocalypse and listen to music.
make sure you don't get some wayward zombie flesh falling in with the brisket...
it happens sometimes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

make sure you don't get some wayward zombie flesh falling in with the brisket...
it happens sometimes.

I hate when that happens.

Man, I love this place.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My dad fought in World War 1. Told me all about it. But he told me that the war was nothing compared to what came right after it. What people called “The Grip”...also known as the Spanish flu. Killed well over a half million Americans. Killed fifty million world wide.

Hard to even wrap my mind around those figures.But the human race survived. As it will now again, especially because we are all more aware of steps to take for safety than people were back then.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the pharmacy and I said to the assistant “What gets rid of coronavirus” ?

She said "Ammonia cleaner”

I said "Oh sorry, I thought you worked here...”

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How to wash your hands.
89071815_2550039485093244_6263181199498280960_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 39746

I didn't fully process this earlier. Are you not going to the bathroom in actual bathrooms, or are you talking about when you're out and get your hand dirty some other way. If the first, that might be a bigger issue. If the second, you can't be that far from a bathroom/sink in your everyday life, and if you are the traditional advice I've been given is: if your hands are dirty and you've got hand sanitizer handy-use that first, and then wash your hands when you can.

Wasnt strictly on a infectious disease point. But i was proposing some people and some sitautions can lead you to not having access to toilets, or being a pain to travel back and fourth to wash your hands if thats all you want to do. And then pending quality, they could be a hygine issue in themselves. The obvious situation would be first aid when you are out hiking or something, sourcing a point to wash your hands may be difficult so gel would be a viable alternative. (and is listed as such before gloving yourself)

The advice i have got is they are a viable alternative to washing your hands, obviously it would depend on brand and product specfics as i have discussed. (first aid advice as i stated above) The link in question also states it as being a viable alternative if it meets X criteria on a anti microbe perspective.

The one i have, has the alchol you cant drink in it ,chlorhexidine and triethanolamine in it. Given i recall chlorhexidine being in detol spray and other disinfectants (as it is a disinfectant) probability would dictate it is in most cleaners most people buy. If not that one, another dis infectant would be.

Back to the gel i have, it has a statement about killing 99.9% of bacteria which would drive it to be legal territory if the claim is unfounded.

Edit: The obvious presumption people make when they state "get hand sanitizer" is the ones that are anti microbal and actually work for the task.

Also, despite any tone issues, im more just intrested in the conversation at this point. I got dragged away mid writing so its probbly going to be so-so rushed/sloppy and i dont have enough time to edit it fully. So apologies for that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no reason to do anything different. The things you should have been doing all along are sufficient. You can shake hands after class. Wearing a mask will not in any way prevent you from getting sick.
The RN has spoken! Yep, I haven't changed anything. Just touching my face less!

And here in Aus it's almost been declared 'pandemic' (which I don't think that it is if I know what that word means..), apparently 42 cases so far with one death. But in all the talk it was said by SOMEone that people should stock up on everyday stuff, about two weeks worth just in case you'll have to stay in.

So guess what has happened? Stores nationwide have been sold out of toilet paper... seriously it's gone mental here with paranoia XD. For some strange reason there's been an obsession with toilet paper specifically!
f95298af7d19161058f17891bfbb517b.jpg
1504f1d9ce03786a5a2a161d7313a7ce.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh and also round one of the tournament I usually compete in has had to be cancelled. The trophies and medals we have made are made in China, and those factories have been shut down because of the virus. A suggestion was made to get them made here but apparently the material is still from factories which get stuff from China factories... or something like that!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My dad fought in World War 1. Told me all about it. But he told me that the war was nothing compared to what came right after it. What people called “The Grip”...also known as the Spanish flu. Killed well over a half million Americans. Killed fifty million world wide.

Hard to even wrap my mind around those figures.But the human race survived. As it will now again, especially because we are all more aware of steps to take for safety than people were back then.
i read an intresting article, that a significant % of the death toll was down to the over presciption of asprin, which was a relatively new '' wonder drug at the time, which they didnt apreciate could kill if iver used, so they just kept banging aprin down people, if they got worse they just increased the dose and people got worse again, so they gave them more asprin

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The other real problem is that it seems to be showing a 14 day incubation period, during which an infected person feels no symptoms and does not know yet that he/she is sick, but is already contagious. I cannot imagine anybody is able to accurately trace everybody that they have come into contact with and every location they have visited in the last 14 days, in order to map transmission and attempt to get it under control. People who they may have gotten close enough to in order to transmit the disease, or items they may have touched that could be contaminated by someone who passed by earlier. We do not yet know how long the virus remains viable, sitting on surfaces, where someone may touch them later and transfer them into their body. So this is a real issue, with real concerns and an admittedly difficult prognosis to combat it.

Good personal hygiene seems to be the advice of the day, and there is no reason for everyone to panic. However, it may be prudent to gather some supplies that can be put into storage, incase anyone needs to self-isolate if suspected contamination, and cannot get to the grocery store for more. Another possibility is that a local outbreak may cause the local authorities to close services down, stores may decide to close for the safety of employees and the public, once again making sense to have some food stashed away just in case. Small steps like that make sense to me, in addition to keeping sanitation supplies.

Sounds almost..... like.... a zombie virus..... situation....

Edit: AH I only just scrolled to the posts in which zombies were indeed mentioned..... great! Carry on.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Working the airport of a popular world tourist destination is challenging in times like this, that's for sure. You prepare, take as many precautions as you can and do what you always do - help people and do your job.

Unfortunately, I am the perfect target for this corona thing - old, with a suppressed immune system. I've always washed my hands at work dozens of times each day, but these days I wash them more than I can accurately count. I make it a habit not to touch my face. I have masks handy in case travellers want them, explaining that they might not be of any help, I have rubber gloves, alcohol wipes and bleach wipes that I give out if people ask. It's impossible to keep a distance from folks, the place is lousy with them, and people always need help with something. And some times people cause trouble causing you to get up close and personal.

But you do what you can for everyone's sake, try to help anyone who needs it, prepare and hope for the best. I'm actually more concerned for my fall trip to Boston - which we may cancel depending on how this develops - than I am working my airport. I have a better control over our environment here than I do other places.

Everybody please stay safe. Wash those hands, get enough sleep, eat well, try not to stress, keep your health as strong as you can.
Ah yeah the airport...

Please stay safe Buka.

D

Deleted member 39746

So guess what has happened? Stores nationwide have been sold out of toilet paper... seriously it's gone mental here with paranoia XD. For some strange reason there's been an obsession with toilet paper specifically!

Maybe they know of a symptom the rest of us dont know about? :p

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The advice i have got is they are a viable alternative to washing your hands, obviously it would depend on brand and product specfics as i have discussed. (first aid advice as i stated above) The link in question also states it as being a viable alternative if it meets X criteria on a anti microbe perspective.

It does not say that. It says:
  1. It cannot eliminate all types of germs
  2. It's not as effective when hands are dirty
  3. Might not remove harmful chemicals
  4. If soap and water are not available, it gives you the best concentrations of alcohol to have the best success.
By saying "if soap and water are not available", it is telling you that if soap and water are available, then soap and water is better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in the UK they say if you self isolate just get your food delivered by the supermarket ( many of us do anyway) and get them to leave it outside rather than coming out as we usually do, supermarkets are preparing for this.
The sick pay rules have been changed so if self isolating the statuary sick pay gets paid from first day not third.

Everything you need to know...
Coronavirus: A visual guide to the outbreak

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just saw this morning on the news, at this time the WHO is assessing the lethality of the virus at 3.4%. Don’t know how long it will remain assessed at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.