Copy and Paste... don't work

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
For those of you using Firefox, there are two potential problems.

1 - Firefox will randomly stop copying, and restarting the program will help. This occurs with all operating systems and Mozilla products.

2 - The other problem is not a bug, but is caused by malware on your machine. This only occurs on Windows PCs and results in a complete inability to copy and past in Firefox.

To solve the first problem, go to http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/upgrade-2.html and upgrade to Firefox 1.5.0.4

The second problem is a bit trickier.

1 - IMPORTANT! Close all Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer windows.
2 - Click on start
3 - Click on 'run'
4 - Type regedit.exe and hit OK.
5 - Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows
6 - On the right hand side you should see a string called AppInit_DLLs with a value of pushow*.dll (*will be a random number)
7 - Right click and delete this string, then exit regedit.
8 - Open windows explorer
9 - Browse to C:\windows\system32\
10 - In that folder there will be a file called pushow*.dll where the * is the same number you saw above. Delete all pushow*.dll files.

And you're done!

Great tip!!!

For the trickier path...I would strongly recommend this step to backup the registry:

4(a) - Right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click Export. Name your exported file "Backup of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
*** Whew!! *** That's a relief.

Hey, I'm not gonna be killed today!!

Hey....waitaminnit??? PAUL??? Is this some kind of marketing ploy??? You're jes' trying to get me to buy TULISAN. I'm getting wise to you, boy!

:roflmao:

I wish. :lol: No, I really couldn't copy and paste except out of Netscape for the day. I tried turning the machine off, clearing caches, all that stuff. Then I posted all pissed earlier. I was really fustrated because I had just written a camp review in word, and there was NO WAY that I spent all that time writing and that it would be useless. Then out of no where, the next day the darned thing started working again! That is what I hate about these things (and it seems to be a prevelant thing lately with my machine). It seems that for no apparent rhyme or reason, something just stops working. At least this one started working again! :)

Paul

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Great tip!!!

For the trickier path...I would strongly recommend this step to backup the registry:

4(a) - Right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click Export. Name your exported file "Backup of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
I find it much more interesting to name any registry backups RUNME and leave them on the desktop. :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions