Coordinate your punch with back foot landing, or with leading foot landing?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is probably, the only time we agree, its a training video, but adaptation is key, never knocked mma for that, but have stated many a time, adapting to whats in front of you, is supirior to speed, strength etc, if you cannot adapt to whats incoming, then you are relying on luck, not skill

Too general a concept.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really. You disguise a strike by having multiple attack options with the same footwork. And being generally sneaky with the timing.

So provided you are not only ever doing that strike with that footwork. You should be ok.

It is basically the same reason head kicks work, pretty much.
Oh I agree, but sneaky is great fun, especially when they give you that look

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Linking foot stamping to a strikr, IMO, makes you readable
As I have said, the foot stamping is for beginner level training. In application, both feet are sliding.

- Step in back foot with leading hand parry (in striking art, parry can be considered as strike).
- Step in front foot with body strike.

Lin-shoulder-strike.gif

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Herein lies the problem, you argue tma is a problem, too restrictive, not adaptable, mma is better, because the training is results driven, so supirior, but your facts are generated by your own sports derived training, you are doing what the supermarkets do, in supplying the facts that support your industry, the political arm of the fighting arts, the data you provide, is bias, as much as judo, karate, kung fu,, ninjutsu and tkd, bjj,, you can tell someone until you are blue in the face, a simple technique, andnthey never get it, they can go somewhere else, that tells it in another way, and it sinks in.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I have said, the foot stamping is for beginner level training. In application, both feet are sliding.

- Step in back foot with leading hand parry (in striking art, parry can be considered as strike).
- Step in front foot with body strike.

Lin-shoulder-strike.gif
Teaching a punch that is linked to a foot stamp, makes you predictable

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Herein lies the problem, you argue tma is a problem, too restrictive, not adaptable, mma is better, because ...
What do you mean that TMA is too restrictive, not adaptable?

When you make a move, you either

1. coordinate your hand with your foot, or
2. you don't.

Do you prefer 1, or 2?

In the following clip, the

- Left foot side step coordinate with right hand arm pull.
- Right foot forward step coordinate with left hand leg pull and right hand neck push.

What will you do any different?

my-kou.gif

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you teach beginners, it's very difficult to explain how to coordinate hand strike with body. Coordinate with which part of the body, and how?

I try to use just 1 simple concept to explain power generation. IMO, to coordinate hand with foot is the easiest way. After that, I can then add detail such as:

- back leg bending,
- weight shifting.
- hip rotation,
- body twisting.

I may exaggerate the foot stepping so the stomping sound can match with the hand striking (for training purpose). In fighting, both feet should be just "sliding".

The training can be as simple as:

- Step in leading foot.
- Step in back foot and punch at the same time.

In the following clip, the hand striking is coordinate with the leading foot landing.

Adam-punch.gif
That (in my opinion) is how a lot of traditional drills work. They isolate and emphasize one or two parts of a movement to make them easier to learn. I learned a traditional static punching drill that teaches focus on coordination with the hip, without a step. Done right, that drill and you’re likely teach much the same principe from opposite sides. I still use that drill with beginners who can’t quickly “get it” from a stepping drill and pads.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone said, "Taiji system is not about chasing an opponent so no long distance attacking found in the form or partner exercises."

Of course we may replace "Taiji system" with "xyz system" for the same argument.

Does his argument make any sense? Your thought?

A: Dear master! If I want to chase my opponent from a long distance, what should I do?
B: Our system doesn't chase opponent from a long distance.
A: But if I want to do it, what should I ... ?
B: ...

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Someone said, "Taiji system is not about chasing an opponent so no long distance attacking found in the form or partner exercises."

Of course we may replace "Taiji system" with "xyz system" for the same argument.

A: Dear master! If I want to chase my opponent from a long distance, what should I do?

Ben ten hits those cross steps as well. And also shows you can do that and still defend.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you never learn to remove the stamp, that would be true. I suspect that’s part of the progression.

Whilst I agree with your comment, we see this kind of foot stamp used by higher ranks in competition regularly ( I have to lliteral or be picked up on it, not under present cv 19 conditions), and whilst this may be a club, style or individual thing, some of these techniques become habitual.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you step forward and punch, do you like to coordinate your punch with your back foot landing, or with your leading foot landing?

What's the difference in your opinion? Please share your thoughts.

It is very situational but in broad terms we slightly load the rear leg on a reverse punch and slightly load the front leg on a lead punch. Neither loading last very long.
Some of it is physics and some of it is learned mechanics.
Since there is No step on the jab most of the energy is created from the waist up. So there is a slight 'lean' to direct the power.
When stepping, the power is generated through the whole body and you want that power to 'flow through'. There is much more inertia so the rear foot is rooted more to anchor the punch.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When stepping, the power is generated through the whole body and you want that power to 'flow through'.

There is much more inertia so the rear foot is rooted more to anchor the punch.
Instead of saying that the power is generated through the whole body, I prefer to say that the power is generated from the back foot that borrow the counter force from the ground. The power then go through back leg, hip, upper body, shoulder, and then reach to your hand.

After you have generated power from your back leg by borrowing the counter force from the ground, you no longer need your back foot to connect to the ground any more, your body momentum will take over.

In the following clip, he coordinates punch with his leading foot landing. After he has generated power from his back leg, his back foot is off the ground (back foot ground connection no longer needed).

MMA-punch.gif

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Teaching a punch that is linked to a foot stamp, makes you predictable
Have you ever done the following before?

- You stamp your foot on the ground and make a big sound.
- Your opponent looks down at your foot.
- You punch his face.

In Chinese wrestling, you use foot stamp to hide your stealing step body spinning.

- You stamp on your right foot.
- You use left foot stealing step to spin your body to your left.

You want your opponent to look at your right foot. Your left foot is your true footwork that you intend to hide.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever done the following before?

- You stamp your foot on the ground and make a big sound.
- Your opponent looks down at your foot.
- You punch his face.

I understand your argument for the weight on the front foot, but no, I have never stamped the floor, to try to make an opponent look down, the people I have sparred with, or fought, very few were that stupid, and if they were, you dont need tatics like that to beat them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some systems don’t have an answer for some situations. Probably true of most systems, even when talking about situations for which there can be a reasonable solution.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Leading foot landing include

- heel landing, and
- toes landing.

He coordinate his punch with his toes landing. When he lands his heel, his punch hasn't finished yet. When he lands his toes, his punch has full extension.

Please notice his

- right foot toes from up to down.
- left heel from down to off the ground.

This guy has good body coordination do you think?

MMA-punch-2.gif

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have never stamped the floor, to try to make an opponent look down, the people I have sparred with, or fought, very few were that stupid, ...
- One time I made a pee.
- Someone passed by.
- I pointed my finger to the sky.
- When he looked up.
- I zipped my pants.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, since people are getting picky... I'll say this:

You don't "make a pee."
You "take a pee" ...or better yet, "take a piss".

And, if the passer-by was foolish enough to look at your finger pointing up, I guess he "missed all that heavenly glory"! :oops:

--apologies to Bruce Lee.

Latest Discussions