cool site

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris from CT
I've read the site and this person who is claiming rank in Kuhapdo is a fraud. Let me say for a fact, that as of this moment, there is only one American who has received dan rank in Kuhapdo. That person is Todd Miller of New Hampshire. The source of my information is directly from the creator of Kuhapdo, Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo.
I hope this was all a big misunderstanding.

The following is taken directly from Mr. Young's website

ERIC SCOTT YOUNG
ASIAN AMERICAN MARTIAL ARTS COMBAT UNION ASSOCIATION
INSTRUCTOR
International Combat American and Asian Martial Arts Founders Union ICMAUA Lifetime Member.
Shichidan, 7th Dan Tao Hapki-Bujutsu , Shihan, Soke , Founder , Head Instructor,
International Combat Hapkido
1st Dan Hapkido
1st Dan Kuhapdo
International Combat Kenpo Union .
1st Dan IKCA Kenpo.
International Combat Escrima Union
1st Dan Escrima.
International Combat Jujitsu Union
4th Dan Myu-Ryu-Do Jitsu
American Last Resort Offensive Twelve Training
A. L O. T. T.
Certified
A. L. O. T. T.
Certified Instructor

Oh Eric, your Dungeons and Dragons buddies called, they want their troll back. :2xbird:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its been mentioned repeatedly here and elswhere that its use as a title if wrong, unless you are a-Japanese and b-involved in a Japanese art, amongst other things

Almost. There's one man that doesn't fit that bill....he's the only non-Japanese legit Soke...Don Angier of the Yanagi ryu Aiki Bugei

Hapki,

It's amazing that anytime a group of people find interest in one art, it becomes the flavor of the week. Ninpo, BJJ and now RMA?

Pay attention here....many people with very legitmate pasts walked away from what they trained years in to study and focus on RMA. Not because it was trendy...or the "in" thing to do...but we found things in RMA that gave us a feeling and a way of life that other arts did not.

Until you've had first hand experiance with RMA, it'd be best to keep your mouth closed on it. You've already dug yourself into a hole. Wouldn't be wise to hand someone a shovel to pitch dirt on your head.

(Like others, I'm patiently waiting for the "I just want to understand RMA" thread....)

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
You've already dug yourself into a hole. Wouldn't be wise to hand someone a shovel to pitch dirt on your head.
(Like others, I'm patiently waiting for the "I just want to understand RMA" thread....)

Please. please, please, please let it be a Spets shovel....

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hehehe:
"Please. please, please, please let it be a Spets shovel...."
Made me laugh.

hapki -
Early on in your posting history, I told you that you were in over your head. Many of us have seen your kind before -- on this and other forums, in our martial arts studies and in our lives, in general. The faces and names -- the stories and claims -- may change, but many of us have met 'you' before.
Dont be mad at us for recognizing you. As frustrating as it might seem to you -- you have only fooled yourself..wait, i think i mentioned that to you already.
Give it up, look at it as a lesson learned.

Let it go.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, guys.... Preemptive mod strike:

MOD NOTE:

Please keep the discussion polite and professional.

Nightingale
MT MODERATOR

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Nightingale, but I did not start this, and I felt I was keeping well within the parameters of acceptable posting. There was nothing polite or professional in hapki's referencing to RMA (and its practitioners) as 'the flavor of the month' or his indirect 'shot' at me -- and the posts that followed seem to back me up on this, I believe. I will play fair as possible with this one.

hapki - you can use my e-mail for future personal attacks.
Other, public; posts are fair game.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NYCRonin

if it is posted in a thread and addressed to nobody in particular, it isn't directed at you, but at the thread in general. You just happened to be the last reply before I got over here. Complete coincidence.

It is martialtalk policy to post general warnings to threads, and individual warnings via private message to that user only. If the issue is you in particular, you'd get something in your message box, ok?

Nightingale
MT MODERATOR

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nightingale,

A number of us have been somewhat acidulous in our posts to Hapkibujutsu. I have been guilty of this, certainly. I have never apologized for it, nor will I...but I have promised to try and be more civil.

This is somewhat difficult.

I ask the moderators and administrators to consider the inflammatory nature of this man's comments. These, combined with his posted curriculum vitae at the AAMACUA web site (and provided BY HIM) make it exceedingly difficult for many of the members here to be tactful.

It does not stretch the bounds of professionalism nor does it violate forum rules to state with honesty that Eric Young (aka Hapkibujutsu) posts blanket statements regarding martial arts of which he knows little.

He backs his statements up with anecdotal information he has acquired from friends and past instructors.

He has, on one occasion, defended his opinions based upon an assumed entitlement given by his alleged rank and experience. Yet, he will not stand by those statements, rather deferring to his instructor's opinion. This "my master told me so" tactic betrays a lack of confidence and independence of thought. It is not reflective of the sort of professionalism one would expect of such a high rank. Note that I am not calling into question his rank here, but rather the conduct I think needs to accompany it.

I have debated Tess, White Birch, Seig, Dan Anderson and others on this forum. At times I have done badly and apologized for it when I thought necessary. While I have called into question their semantics or their advocacy for certain techniques or methodologies, I have never (hopefully) called into question their professionalism. I respect them. They know their stuff.

Not so with young Eric.

I submit that asking us to keep company with Eric on this forum is like asking us to sit next to a person at Thanksgiving dinner who is smitten with chronic flatulance and possessed of egregiously bad manners...and then expecting us not to react. Politeness can be strained. Please consider this.

With that I end my jeremiad and return to my breakfast of coffee and Celebrex, ample sustenance for old martial artists.

Regards,

Steve Scott

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am another guilty party. I do not regret my actions, I regret their necessity.

I have no problem with someone questioning the arts I practice. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me, and when I'm wrong (such as one thread in RMA where I had to rethink my view because I was wrong) I admit that as well. Debate is healthy, it's one method that can allow you to learn quite a lot. What is required in any debate is respect.

There have been many threads here where debates have been healthy and fun. This was not one of them. The commentary by Mr. Young regarding other arts, was uneducated and spiteful. In the majority of cases where he has posted, Mr Young seems to only take part in threads that he starts and can thereby control. Mr. Young has shown no respect to anyone, unless they accept him, his statements, and his claims at face value. When questioned, he turned to ad hominem attacks on arts, and insulted the practicioners of those arts. In so doing he attacked people who I have great respect for and who I am proud to call friends. This is dishonorable and yes I have a problem with that so I repsonded.

The real tragedy lays in the fact that if Mr. Young really does have students, they could have their minds warped by this individual whose limited knowledge of other arts and aversion to learning more about them could distort and hinder the ability of his students to truly learn.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa,

andy

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with asking questions about credentials, provided the activity doesn't cross the line into harassment or otherwise violate our rules (link at top on menu) or posted 'anti-fraud' policy (reposted below for reference). We have had cases in the past where individuals took a 'liking' for another member and followed them across the site, as well as engaging in email and PM campaigns. Hense, the policy. This way, we can as a comunity 'police' ourselves.

This thread will be moved to the "Horror Storys" forum, which is more appropriate for concerns on credentials than the General Forum.

:asian:

=========
Official Policy on “Fraud” Busting and Credential Verification.

Fraud Busting
Due to its nature, this forum encourages the asking and answering of questions. Many times one member will have questions and concerns about the history, skills, lineage, or paperwork of another member. In other cases, things may be stated on a webpage, flyer or article relating to a member that raises some questions. Sometimes, comments will have been made elsewhere and those issues carried over to MartialTalk.

MartialTalk and its staff encourages the polite and professional search for knowledge. Questions and concerns may be brought up, with the understanding that the other party is under no requirement to answer.

Most questions may be raised within the forums dedicated to a particular art or area of interest. (Example: Kenpo Lineage questions in the Kenpo forum). Others of a more serious note, are to be limited to the “Bad Budo” forum.

Excessive “Inquisitor” style questioning is not allowed and will be subject to administrative action. If you have had to ask a question more than 3 times, you are most likely running the risk of “excessive’.

In addition, “Hot Pursuit” actions will not be tolerated. The “Hot Pursuit” is defined as asking the same or similar questions in multiple threads and/or forums.

Members who become ‘obsessed”, ‘inquisitors’ or ‘interrogators’ will be subject to administrative action. Members who are involved in excessive arguments that disrupt the forum, may be subject to administrative action due to the disruption of the normal operation of this forum

Credential Verification
The staff of this forum is certainly concerned with the rising problem of falsified and otherwise questionable credentials. Due to the costs in time and money, as well as possible language barriers, we are unable to perform verifications. Because of the number of different organizations, splits and other divergences, absolute certainty of authenticity can only be achieved in a few select areas.

While each member of our unpaid, volunteer staff has their own area of knowledge, we do not feel we are qualified to evaluate the skills of those who have not trained in our own arts. The “Karateka” is simply not qualified to decide if the “Kenpoists” ‘karate’ is any good. Each art has its own requirements and guidelines. It is humanly impossible to understand them all.

The simple truth is that there are thousands of opinions on what is right, and wrong in the arts. We encourage our members to share their ideas in a polite manner.

MartialTalk staff will not be involved in ‘credential’ verification or ‘skills evaluations’.

MartialTalk is not a forum dedicated to credential checks or outing frauds. Our goal is to provide a friendly, and an open area to exchange ideas, share thoughts, relax and network. Activities that disrupt our primary focus are not encouraged.

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My issue is with whoever the website is refering to. As I mentioned before, I am giving Eric the benefit of the doubt that either...

The person in question is not him

or

For some reason the information that was on the site about Kuhapdo was an error.

Although I do have my issues with certain "recognition groups" I will continue to refrain from giving my opinion. Now what I can do is give facts upon what I know and practice.

Kuhapdo is a Korean Sword style created by Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo. There are only seven instructors of Jung Ki Hapkido who train in Kuhapdo here in the states. Of those seven, there is only one that has been promoted to dan rank by GM Lim. That person is Master Todd Miller of New Hampshire. I have seen and trained with the others. In my opinion, they are very talented which shows the years they put into studying this art. Yet none of them have attained dan rank. The others are...

Master Marc Brackett - Connecticut
Master Bill May - Massachusetts
Master Mike D'Aloia - New Jersey
Master Sheryl Glidden- Maine
Stu Emery - New Hampshire
Chris LaCava (me) - Connecticut

No one in the states is honestly awarding dan rank in Kuhapdo. It only comes from GM Lim and he has only promoted one American to dan ranking, Master Todd Miller.

I cannot verify or refute some of the other arts and styles, but I am well aware of the happenings of Jung Ki Hapkido and Kuhapdo. To be fair, I'm waiting to hear what Eric has to say.

Take care

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I am giving Eric the benefit of the doubt that either...

The person in question is not him

or

For some reason the information that was on the site about Kuhapdo was an error."

Understandable, and fair. Please note:

That Eric's handle is the same as the system Tao Hapki Bujutsu.

The last name of "Master Young" on the AAMACUMA web site is the same as Eric's last name...Young.

Eric posted this site under the title "cool site".

The "bio" on the AAMACUMA web site, written by a student of "Master Young" is written with the same painful spelling and grammatical errors that Eric Young displays throughout this forum.

The AAMACUMA web site has Master Young as being a 1st dan in Kuhapdo.

ABN listed the information below, and it contains his full name. This is taken from his web site, apparently.

Eric, aka Hapkibujutsu, stated he was a seventh dan and an instructor.

It all links together.

Regards,

Steve Scott

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The e-mail sent to me, from the MTalk service, was sent from the 'hapki-bujitsu' account. After his properly spelled (thank you, 'spell check') communication that re-stated the history available on the previously mentioned site; he signed his name.

Eric.

'Resonable doubt' is out of the question.
You are correct, HHJH.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eventually he'll run out of systems to malign. At the rate he's going, he's been trashing about one a week. He took out the arts from an entire country with his attack on RMA's. This certainly saves him time. Perhaps he'll go after Indonesia next.

He's been somewhat quiet. At least on this thread. Perhaps he's had a "Come to Jesus" moment, and will avoid such indiscretions in the future.

D'ya think?

Steve

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah, I doubt it.
He will do one of 3 things. Leave the board, stay and stumble or attempt to come back with a different screen name.

I do know we wont be getting any invites to his 'school' anytime soon though! ;)
Breaks my lil heart -- I am such a sensitive guy. :D

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that there are some people that also should include a black sash into there gigantic almost imposible list of styles they know. This should be abreviated BS and cover most all styles. Man it would take me like so many years to learn all of those styles man how did you do it so fast? Ok I should take my own advice and play nice. My bet is he's not going to be back
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11577

OP
D

Disco

Master Young is now over the age of 30. The arts he has studied and received rack in over the years are

Goju Ryu on and off again for 2 years

Shoalin kenpo for 2 years

Jeet Kune Do six days a week for 1 year

Iaido six days a week for one year

Che-Lu on again off again for 3 years

Ninjitsu Studied with a neighbor as a child

Wing Chun 1 year

Aikido of and on for 2 years

American Escrima 1st Dan

Combat Hapkido 1st Dan

Kuhapdo 1st Dan

Combat Kenpo 1st Dan

Mu-Ryu Do jitsu 4th Dan

Master Young has taught Kids, Adults, Teenagers, Seniors, Cops, and Newly appointed F.B.I Agents.

Master Young has taken the last year and a half and devoted all of his free time to the study of combat. Threw training reading courses and self-study as well as input from the officers he has trained.

This has led Master Young to the revolutionary combat style of TAO HAPKI-BUJUTSU. Meaning…the way of Harmony threw the skills of a warrior.

Master Young tested for the rank of 9th Dan in his system. He was awarded the rank of 7th.

He Is able to test for 8th in 2005. His system is sanctioned and accepted by The International Combat Martial Arts Union Association. The Asian American Martial Arts Combat Union Association. As well as the International Combat American and Asian Martial Arts Founders Union. Master Young does not believe in 10th Dan And there is not such a rank in his system. He says 10th means you have mastered to the point you don’t need to learn anymore. There is no such thing he says.

This was taken from the web site he advised us about (cool site).
Several questions just flat lunge out at you. (1). How in the world would anybody have enough time to participate in those many styles, much less gain some ranking in them? (2). He specifies that Tao Hapki-Bujutsu is his system (para right above). If it's his system, with who and why did he have to test for a 9th Dan and was only awarded a 7th, but can test for 8th in 2005? Everytime I read this, my head starts to hurt and my eye's cross.
:rolleyes:

OP
S

SETSANG

As one of the founders of the A.A.M.A.C.U.A. I was alerted to this post as was as others by a fellow member. I have signed on to give some true insight into our organization. However I will be signing off immediately after this post. I do not wish to be a part of a board that claims it promotes unity then has posts that attacks fellow martial artist's and organizations. First let me say that we accept no monies for any of our services. We are a reputable place for martial artists to come to when experiencing a loss of brotherhood and belonging in the martial arts. We give away nothing. To be accepted at your current rank by us you must provide the following requirements. A hand signed certificate in the style you rank in. If testing for the next rank in your current style you must provide proof of last rank with the same as I have just mentioned. Along with this we need a letter of recommendation from a current or past instructor along with a contact number. We then will need a video of all techniques in your style along with proof of ID and five personal references. Then 20 instructors of high rank will review the tape and make a decision. If you are testing for recognition of a new style we need proof of dan rank in three arts as well as the info I have mentioned above. Also on video we need the entire system plus the previous systems you know. We also need a written out line of the system along with what you hope to accomplish with the new style and reasons for creating it. Then last but not least a video of one student you have brought to black belt in your style or system.
As you can see we are no rank machine or pay for rank organization. We are here because we love the arts and wish to help others.

On another issue, I wish to add in my thoughts on the attacks of Mr. Young. First let me say I did receive a very angry, threatening, and unprofessional letter from Bd Parsons. I found his crass and humorous letter to be nothing more then a man who knows nothing about what he speaks of. Mr. Young from the very start never claimed IKCA stood for the karate connection, but another group all together. This is not uncommon as there are martial groups out there like the IKKO, and the IKKA as well as others. Further more the certificate Bd Parsons claims to have received from Mr. Young is not even close to the certificate we have here on file at the A.A.M.A.C.U.A. All of his references checked out as well.

Having been one of the 20 who has reviewed Mr. Young's tapes and help verify his references, let me say that Mr. Young has all the skill, knowledge, and ability, of a seasoned martial artist twice his age. The system he invented is both street worthy and effective. I found his student video to also show Mr. Young's competence as a skilled teacher.

while what I see here in this post may be bothersome to me it is not something I have not seen before in my 40+ years in the martial arts. Especially if one invents his own style. I have seen it with Ed Parker, Bruce Lee, And most recently with John Pellegrini. If you look at what these men encountered you find it eerily similar to what Mr. Young Is now dealing with.

As martial artist's in today's society we seem to spend a lot of time making ourselves feel better by disproving the skills of others. In my mind our time is better spent on just improving our own.

S.E. TSang

OP
M

Mickey

SETSANG said:
As one of the founders of the A.A.M.A.C.U.A. I was alerted to this post as was as others by a fellow member. I have signed on to give some true insight into our organization. However I will be signing off immediately after this post. I do not wish to be a part of a board that claims it promotes unity then has posts that attacks fellow martial artist's and organizations. First let me say that we accept no monies for any of our services. We are a reputable place for martial artists to come to when experiencing a loss of brotherhood and belonging in the martial arts. We give away nothing. To be accepted at your current rank by us you must provide the following requirements. A hand signed certificate in the style you rank in. If testing for the next rank in your current style you must provide proof of last rank with the same as I have just mentioned. Along with this we need a letter of recommendation from a current or past instructor along with a contact number. We then will need a video of all techniques in your style along with proof of ID and five personal references. Then 20 instructors of high rank will review the tape and make a decision. If you are testing for recognition of a new style we need proof of dan rank in three arts as well as the info I have mentioned above. Also on video we need the entire system plus the previous systems you know. We also need a written out line of the system along with what you hope to accomplish with the new style and reasons for creating it. Then last but not least a video of one student you have brought to black belt in your style or system.
As you can see we are no rank machine or pay for rank organization. We are here because we love the arts and wish to help others.

On another issue, I wish to add in my thoughts on the attacks of Mr. Young. First let me say I did receive a very angry, threatening, and unprofessional letter from Bd Parsons. I found his crass and humorous letter to be nothing more then a man who knows nothing about what he speaks of. Mr. Young from the very start never claimed IKCA stood for the karate connection, but another group all together. This is not uncommon as there are martial groups out there like the IKKO, and the IKKA as well as others. Further more the certificate Bd Parsons claims to have received from Mr. Young is not even close to the certificate we have here on file at the A.A.M.A.C.U.A. All of his references checked out as well.

Having been one of the 20 who has reviewed Mr. Young's tapes and help verify his references, let me say that Mr. Young has all the skill, knowledge, and ability, of a seasoned martial artist twice his age. The system he invented is both street worthy and effective. I found his student video to also show Mr. Young's competence as a skilled teacher.

while what I see here in this post may be bothersome to me it is not something I have not seen before in my 40+ years in the martial arts. Especially if one invents his own style. I have seen it with Ed Parker, Bruce Lee, And most recently with John Pellegrini. If you look at what these men encountered you find it eerily similar to what Mr. Young Is now dealing with.

As martial artist's in today's society we seem to spend a lot of time making ourselves feel better by disproving the skills of others. In my mind our time is better spent on just improving our own.

S.E. TSang

Dear S.E. Tsang,

Hi. How are you? It is good to have another point of view. Yet I would like to ask you a few questions?

1) Why sign up and then run away? It makes you look like you cannot defend your point point of view.

2) Some quotes were taken from Mr. Youngs web-site that said the opposite of what you have said. Including claims in arts that others refute, including two members here. Yet, you say all of his references check out.

Is it possibile that all of the references you received checked out, and yet this person is claiming more then he can defend?

3)Thereby putting you into a bad spot, by you saying you have checked all of his references, yet we do not know the list of references you validated.

Is it possible for you to provide a list of references provided to you? It should nto be an issue if you have checked them out and validated them already. It should be a matter of public knowledge then.

4) Of the twenty who review, could you list their arts?
I would like to know if any of them have any experience in KMA or CMA or JMA or FMA or, ..., . This would allow others to know what you can review from theri experience. Note: I did not ask for names of people on names of the arts they trained in.

5) Do you only do video review? Or is it live review?
I ask because I know people who can edit and make a really nice video, where all mistakes are taken out. Also the self defense can be acted out per script versus live interaction.

6) What drove you to creat such an organization?
I saw you comment about loss of brotherhood, and people looking for it. Yet if you only review through video, then where is the brotherhood?

7) During a testing is there application fees to cover the mailing of the video around to all 20 high ranked personages? Is there a charge for registration?
Just curious, as you made it sound like you did all of this for absolutly nothing. To take all of your time and money out fo your pocket to help others is admirable, yet, not very much expected in today's society.

More Questions Later if you reply. I do hope you do.

Thank You
:asian:

Latest Discussions