cool site

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The A. A. M. A. C. U. A. was founded in 2002 to recognize exceptional Martial Arts instructors and their students with out the politics and fees usually associated with joining an organization.

If you would like to have the A. A. M. A. C. U. A. recognize you as an instructor as well as your students please E-mail for qualification requirements. There is no fee.

The A. A. M. A. C. U. A. will recognize any other organizations you may be affiliated with as well.

Hmmmmm...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's time to start checking those certificates hanging on the wall of a potential new instructor for this one too.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool site?
Perhaps for charlatans and those with credentials that are questionable, at best.
(Take it from where it comes, I guess.)
Real practitoners with a verifiable background would have little use or interest in it.
Unless they needed a laugh.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

you know what they say...the first person to judge is hiding from the same judgement.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hapki
Actually, what 'they say' is 'Methinks (thou) doth protest too much'.
Let it go.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by hapki-bujutsu
you know what they say...the first person to judge is hiding from the same judgement.

Judge away! I have no cleaims to greatness, though I'm sure I could have founded a system of my own and had it "legitimised" by now if I'd wanted to. The only grades I claims are kyu grades in Judo, Jujutsu and Iaido, all of which can be easily verified through my associations. I have no illusions of grandeur, unlike some who obviously feel that normal systems aren't good enough and that they need to form something better. Which generally doesn't actually seem to be the case in the end.

Recognition sites are usually a haven for people who lack the ability or dedication to get the grades they want via the normal routes through the legitimate governing bodies. They want a great deal of respect, but haven't yet earned it.

I realise that I have generalised quite a bit here, but it remains a fact that recognition sites such as this are simply a means of rank inflation.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said, Aegis.
"Recognition sites are usually a haven for people who lack the ability or dedication to get the grades they want via the normal routes through the legitimate governing bodies. They want a great deal of respect, but haven't yet earned it."

Sites like these, and web-forums; seem to attract, at times; these ilk you describe so well in the quote above, Aegis.
It is amazing that some individuals seem incapable of realizing that in their desperate efforts, the ONLY ones they fool is themselves. Real proponents see through them so easily. All one has to do is look through 'Horror Stories' to see examples.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

aegis i was talking to you. I beleive you are saying what you truly beleive. You don't say evberyone on the saite is that way just that this is what it can be. I just don't like the guys who teach the flavor of the month then attack people like that1 you know what i mean. Like right now everyone claims to teach a russian system I see hem in all the adds of black belt. People don't know much about them so thea are easily misslead. I am sure the people you speak of are everywhere. I just feel as I think most do in the ma that it is better to make oneself look good by being good not pointing going i think this one may be bad.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
aegis i was talking to you.

I thought you might have been.

I beleive you are saying what you truly beleive.

Yes, I generally say what I believe rather than what I don't. It tends to save confusion.

You don't say evberyone on the saite is that way just that this is what it can be.

No, I never accused anyone of anything specific, merely implied that most people who use such sites are simply seeking to legitimise what is otherwise an unrecognised rank of system.

I just don't like the guys who teach the flavor of the month then attack people like that1 you know what i mean. Like right now everyone claims to teach a russian system I see hem in all the adds of black belt. People don't know much about them so thea are easily misslead.

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this one. We're talking about trying to legitimise systems with generally quite suspect histories, and you start talking about russian systems. I think the russian arts have a tracable history, but I'm not quallified to say anything more about them. Perhaps a RMA student could help me out here?

I am sure the people you speak of are everywhere.

I agree. They're everywhere. Towns, Cities, Malls, Internet Forums, Sports Centers, etc....

I just feel as I think most do in the ma that it is better to make oneself look good by being good not pointing going i think this one may be bad.

Being good should be everyone's goal. Comparitive greatness is not something anyone needs to attain. However, since the martial arts world is for the most part unregulated, it is the duty of every true martial artist to offer their opinion about a system or orginisation when asked. You brought this site to my attention, and I gave you my opinion on it. I think it is far from cool, and would not go near it for any reason.

The A. A. M. A. C. U. A. would also be proud to recognize any new created styles after testing and passing the main criteria for martial art styles. Please E-mail with any questions on testing for Soke and Founder certification.

This sums up my entire gripe with that site. They seem to think they have the right to decide which styles pass or fail (I imagine most pass) and that they can give someone the "title" of Soke, which is not possible in the true sense of the word. There are many explanations for why elsewhere, I can supply some links if required, but don't want to go into more detail.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 'definition' of and the right to award 'Sokeships' has been discussed in depth both here and on other forums.

A search on this site will turn up a huge number of results.

Here are a few:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=10425&highlight=soke

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=10087&highlight=soke

As I stated previously, "The title of "Soke" is a big red flag. Its been mentioned repeatedly here and elswhere that its use as a title if wrong, unless you are a-Japanese and b-involved in a Japanese art, amongst other things."

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, 'Soke' has somewhat caught on here in the U.S. for anyone who founds an art, but I agree that it's a definite red flag--it shows at a minimum that the person doesn't understand the terms he or she is using.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

aeigis i ment to say i wan't talking about you. sorry about the mistake. The reason i agree with what you say is because i know where you are comming from. wasnt not was sorry. I just meant people who teach combat systems especialy the russian ones wich is the flavor of teh week try to make themselves feel better by attacking other arts trying to say without saying that there art is the one true combat art. I feel there is no one true art.

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just meant people who teach combat systems especialy the russian ones wich is the flavor of teh week try to make themselves feel better by attacking other arts trying to say without saying that there art is the one true combat art. I feel there is no one true art.

Then why attack RMA? What do you know of it? I've read your posts all over this board and am amazed at your constant repetition of the same tactics.

Recently you did this on a TKD forum. You attack, then, retreat behind a veil of "I want to learn, I didn't understand.." I see nothing more than passive aggressive behavior that I would expect from my 4 year old nephew not from someone of your alleged experience and rank.

I know full well who your barbs were aimed at regarding RMA. Your attacks are against a man who, in addition to his RMA instructor status, is a practicioner of many arts. He is a man with a wealth of MA, tactical, and life experience. He is one of the most honorable men I have had the privilege to know. You simply chafe at the fact that your ingratiating and locquacious attempts to befriend him were rebuffed.

You reek of dishonor.

Quod Scripsi, Scripsi,

Andy

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just meant people who teach combat systems especialy the russian ones wich is the flavor of teh week try to make themselves feel better by attacking other arts trying to say without saying that there art is the one true combat art. I feel there is no one true art.
The RMAs haven't cornered the market on believing they are the one true art. At some point I'm certain that someone (or several someones) in most every art out there has felt that theirs was the one true art and been very vocal about it. I do agree that there is no one true art but you must believe in the art that you are studying enough to at least foster the idea from time to time that your personal art is the best out there. Your profile lists only Hapki-bujutsu as your area of study. Do you have any first hand knowledge of the RMAs? Have you had problems in the past with RMA students giving you problems or is this simply what we aikidoka practitioners would call a redirection of energy?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
H-B,

In the thread "can we all just get along" the RMA's were some of those that riposted your attack on Tae Kwon Do as a fighting art (which I appreciated greatly).

I find it difficult to believe that your criticism of RMA isn't spurred by the great difficulties you experienced on that thread. You were somewhat nasty in your ad hominem attacks against at least one RMA there.

But I digress!

As to the site you thought was cool...I thought that was rather self serving, given your listing there in the philsophy section. The title of the thread should have been, perhaps, "Cool site-Go me!"

I mean...you have every right to post that site I suppose. SOKE with me.

Regards,

Steve Scott

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
haki
First, no one I have read here has claimed RMA is the 'one true art' -- certainly not me. Since I am the one you launched you poorly aimed diatribe at -- I will do something I rarely do and pick up the gauntlet you threw down.
RMA has its roots set back into a history that dates to the 11th century. Whereas it may be the 'flavor of the month' to your limited understanding of the history of the worlds martial methods, it predates all of the 11 martial methods you have claimed to have trained in -- particulary the one you 'created' 'Tao Hapki Do' -- and I am using the information on the site listed on an earlier thread:

http://www.aamacua.fcpages.com/journal.htm
(Which can be found in its entirety on the forum "Horror Stories" in the "Liars in the Martial Arts" thread) AND the e-mail you sent to me.

RMA is a featured forum on MartialTalk - its history is valid and unquestionable as are all the other arts highlighted by their own forum. If you would grace the area with your presence - you would not find anyone there stating that theirs is 'the one true art'. Once again -- you are speaking from a position of ignorance, not authority, not even the 'borrowed authority' that you seek by flooding the 'General' forum with posts.

No, hapki; your 'problem' is (presently) with me individually. Not RMA and the enlightened reader will clearly see this effort of yours to attempt to denegrate me, and the art I teach; for what it really is.

I have been in the arts longer than you have been alive:
I earned my B.B. in Shoto-Kan frm Ed LaPorte.
I earned my Jiu-Jitsu B.B. from Arthur Perazzo.
I earned my Moo Duk Kwan B.B from Shane Cilione/Ed Gross.
My training in Wing Chun came from Jason Lau.
My training in Nin-Po came from Steve Hayes, Dan Johnson and Dr. Massaki Hatsumi.
My training in J.K.D. came from Neil Cauliffe and included training in Thai Boxong from Arjan Surisitte, Savate from Prof. Salem Assali, with work in American Karate from some small time spent with Mike Stone and even less with visits for JKD from Rick Tucci and Dan Inosanto to Mr. Cauliffe's school.
I have been a certified instructor in the RMA of Systema from Vladimir Vasiliev of Toronto and Col. Mikhail Ryabco of Moscow for years.
This does not include the pieces picked up from cross-training in other methods with the fine MArtists I have crossed paths with along the way.

I do know that your attempt to denegrate me stems from your posts in the thread mentioned above and from the thread 'can we all just get along' that can be (now) found on pg. 2 of " MartialTalk.Com > Arts > General Martial Arts Talk".

Any reader who goes to those areas will see why you have decided to attack me through attempting to denegrate RMA. An attempt that, I might add; was poorly concieved.

Mtalk is a public forum. As such, anything I post is open to public scrutiny and comment -- and the same remains true for all of us, including you, hapki. People will look into the backgounds and claims of those who post, this is good and keeps the board healthy. Comments in reply to posts should be based on truth though, not on supposition. Attempting to tarnish any reputation I may have on the board, or in the martial community; by denigrating RMA is a wasted effort on your part. If it has any effect at all -- it speaks volumes about you.

Now, I have wasted enough of my time and MTalks bandwidth
with you...at least for now.

As is often said in Kamma-Kura Zen:

"Let it go".

Believe me, you will be much happier if you take the advice.

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by NYCRonin
particulary the one you 'created' 'Tao Hapki Do' -- and I am using the information on the site listed on an earlier thread:

http://www.aamacua.fcpages.com/journal.htm

Did Eric (Hapki-Bujutsu) create that art? :( I hope not. I would like to give him the benfit of the doubt.

Generally, I don't really care who claims what, but when it comes to an art that I study, I would like to read the truth.

I've read the site and this person who is claiming rank in Kuhapdo is a fraud. Let me say for a fact, that as of this moment, there is only one American who has received dan rank in Kuhapdo. That person is Todd Miller of New Hampshire. The source of my information is directly from the creator of Kuhapdo, Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo.

I hope this was all a big misunderstanding.

Latest Discussions