Constructing Bamboo Practice Weapons

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? I've got some questions...

1. What type of bamboo is best?
2. How should I cut it?
3. How do I treat it before use?
4. Any tips?

I'm heading down south next week and my friend has a bunch growing in his yard that he wouldn't mind parting with. I was hoping that I could use it...

upnorthkyosa

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to make something like shinai, or simply cutting the bamboo into poles for use as sticks/staffs? Are these going to be used in impact training or just forms training?

If you are cutting green bamboo, cut it just below a joint, and then seal the end with a lacquer. This will help retain moisture in the stalk for a bit longer. I don't find it necessary to lacquer the outside. I don't use bamboo for impact drills, it tends to fray and splinter lengthwise. But it makes really cheap staffs for a room full of kids. :)

Lamont

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Are you trying to make something like shinai, or simply cutting the bamboo into poles for use as sticks/staffs? Are these going to be used in impact training or just forms training?
I just want to cut it into poles sticks and staffs. I also want to use it for impact training. How could I prepare it to lessen the splintering?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use bamboo for impact, I would recommend rattan. If you do want to use if for impact I think you will have to wrap it with something, the first thing that comes to mind is duct tape. I don't think you can heat treat bamboo like you can rattan (for toughness), and it probably wouldn't be worth it anyway.

I have used thin bamboo for cores in light padded sparring weapons (staff length), it has a better rigidity than any (light) manmade material that I can find.

Lamont

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What kind of plant produces rattan? I've used both and noticed that both splinter after a lot of use. My experience is that it just wears out. I like using bamboo because of the flexibility and strength. Good comments thus far...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Rattan is a vine, compared to bamboo which is a big grass.

How much have you used bamboo for impact practice? I run through rattan sticks (1 inch diameter) in about 2 months if I am getting regular practice in. I have a hard time imagining a hollow stick of the same diameter putting up with the amount of abuse my rattan sticks go through.

Lamont

Latest Discussions