considering Kung Fu....cool video attached

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If I could go anywhere it would be the Houston Budokan. It's obviously Japanese MA but he's a fantastic teacher and very knowledgeable. The problem is he's on the opposite side of town from me. I did very much enjoy going there though.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is a Wushu place close to me, but I had heard that the modern Wushu held very little real combat application so I never considered it an option. I guess athletic ability, flexibility and stamina are good but it didn't sound like what I was looking for.

Depends on the goal of the student and the ability of the teacher. I am of the personal opinion that any art if applied correctly can add to your fighting ability. However some people, I believe, get into the martial arts, for the art aspect. Never having a desire to fight and focus on demos. This is fine, everyone does it for there own reason. However, it's a MARTIAL art and if done correctly and with proper training, and even then proper focus of the student and the killer instinct to apply it...well then it can be very effective.

So I think most of it will be about weather the teacher understand the techniques and can train them properly with there use and the if the student can grasp what they are teaching.

I think a lot of the bad rep for wushu comes from alot of demo teams focusing on the athleticism and showmanship. From what I understand of China (and I'm by no means an expert), the government snuff out alot of potential rebels and possible threats to power. So any large group training in military like arts, I doubt would last long. That just based upon what I've read, watched and heard from others.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I could go anywhere it would be the Houston Budokan. It's obviously Japanese MA but he's a fantastic teacher and very knowledgeable. The problem is he's on the opposite side of town from me. I did very much enjoy going there though.

How far is it to get there?
How badly do you want to learn from him?
Is moving an option?

There are always ways to work with things like this if you find a really really good instructor. It comes down to choice and availability. best of luck

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How far is it to get there?
How badly do you want to learn from him?
Is moving an option?

There are always ways to work with things like this if you find a really really good instructor. It comes down to choice and availability. best of luck

Moving is in no way an option....we recently looked into it. But we have been here for 6 months and would lose $$ if we moved right now.

That said I found a good Aikido school and am considering it now.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Moving is in no way an option....we recently looked into it. But we have been here for 6 months and would lose $$ if we moved right now.

That said I found a good Aikido school and am considering it now.

Understandable. Moving is not an option for me either. Aikido seems like a nice system from the little I've seen of it. I hope you find what your looking for :)

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Understandable. Moving is not an option for me either. Aikido seems like a nice system from the little I've seen of it. I hope you find what your looking for :)

This is my only reservation....is it too nice and not aggressive enough to be used.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score

All of those are on the West side of Houston near China town....I'm on the south east side of Houston...well I'm in Galveston really which is about an hour and a half from Houston but I work in the clear lake area which is about 45 minutes from Houston....either way Chin Town is unfortunately too far from home.

Thank you for the tips though it's appreciated.

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The first art I ever trained in was Aikido. How passive it is has more to do with the individual dojo, than the art as a whole. Some sensei are more realistic in their approach, while others emphasize the ritualistic/spiritual aspect. Check out a few dojos and see what you think. Most Aikido people are very friendly and willing to answer questions.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The first art I ever trained in was Aikido. How passive it is has more to do with the individual dojo, than the art as a whole. Some sensei are more realistic in their approach, while others emphasize the ritualistic/spiritual aspect. Check out a few dojos and see what you think. Most Aikido people are very friendly and willing to answer questions.

Yeah I visited the dojo here in Galveston and loved just watching it. The instructor seemed very knowledgeable and did lean more to the combat side of things....even mentioning that "you might need to throw in a kick in a real world situation". He then showed several ways of doing the same technique depending on how badly you were wanting to end combat or hurt your opponent. I was happy to hear him say that...I'm all about the spiritual side but combat is combat.

This is the only Aikido dojo on the island I live on....though there is one close to work. But I'm very much considering this place as where I will train.

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Even if you don't stick with it and move on to another art, ukemi is a great skill to have.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is my only reservation....is it too nice and not aggressive enough to be used.

I wouldn't say that...my sifu use to take aikido and he was showing me these drills he calls "entering" were you move inside your opponent's defense and snap them to the ground. One method was against a sword and the other if they attack. Seemed pretty brutally effective of course this was only one or two moves since it was just a comparison to some of the Pakua stuff we were doing.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even if you don't stick with it and move on to another art, ukemi is a great skill to have.

I have to agree with this, I have a friend of mine who use to do Budo Taijutsu and he was teaching me taihenjutsu. Ukemi and kaiten movements have proved very useful when we spar. Any time I uproot him, if he does fall he's back on his feet.

cloud dancing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Xue,most of practise is boring unless you'reable to be in love with your breath.then time stops and it's all about the breathIn I Ching KUNG FU tanslates as INNER TRUTH" POWER of inner truth effects even pigs and fishes."Transforms all it touches.the moves in tai chi will all cause death when level of inner force reaches max.groin strike in short yang.Also elbow break.playing the guitar.Seems repetition is necessary for effective useagge of moves.trying to reach 2 hrs for double palm/infinite circle /double 12.Chen ssu chen /used to do hour per day.Started to have fire in right leg.with help it'll return to 4 hrs daily.then chi reaches throughout body.changes happen.Quickly.When first saw Master Li teaching tai-chi/thought it was a dance class.Now it's all dance for me.When chi moves me and I ahve no control /that's when practise is strange and really divine.Looking to forum for inspiration to keep up my practise.lighthouse in mtns needs fuel to shine.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hello Xue,most of practise is boring unless you'reable to be in love with your breath.then time stops and it's all about the breathIn I Ching KUNG FU tanslates as INNER TRUTH" POWER of inner truth effects even pigs and fishes."Transforms all it touches.the moves in tai chi will all cause death when level of inner force reaches max.groin strike in short yang.Also elbow break.playing the guitar.Seems repetition is necessary for effective useagge of moves.trying to reach 2 hrs for double palm/infinite circle /double 12.Chen ssu chen /used to do hour per day.Started to have fire in right leg.with help it'll return to 4 hrs daily.then chi reaches throughout body.changes happen.Quickly.When first saw Master Li teaching tai-chi/thought it was a dance class.Now it's all dance for me.When chi moves me and I ahve no control /that's when practise is strange and really divine.Looking to forum for inspiration to keep up my practise.lighthouse in mtns needs fuel to shine.

I mean no offense but that was hard to follow.

First, all the moves in taiji will not cause death, know a lot of moves that break things and cause pain when applied though

And if you have no control of your Qi you are not doing taijiquan…yi, qi, li.

And taiji done properly is not a dance

Latest Discussions