Conditioning

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is more important when conditioning cardiovascular endurance: duration (long walks) or intensity (short runs)

What would provide more conditioning ?
3 miles walked or 3 mile run

What would provide more conditioning?
6 miles walked or 3 miles run

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on what you are looking to gain.
For example, a 3 mile run works your heart harder than a 3 mile walk, but the walk will work your heart for a longer period of time.
Are you training for sparring rounds, for cardio-vascular health, to lose weight?
The answer to your question depends entirely on what you want to gain.

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Depends what you are training. You have aerobic and anaerobic energy systems and each one require conditioning. Lets say if you want to affect both do 800m run at high intensity. Is running your only conditioning exercise?

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on what you are looking to gain.
For example, a 3 mile run works your heart harder than a 3 mile walk, but the walk will work your heart for a longer period of time.
Are you training for sparring rounds, for cardio-vascular health, to lose weight?
The answer to your question depends entirely on what you want to gain.

I am training for sparring but not for sparring in a competition where the rounds only last 2 minutes. I am training for sparring at my studio which last longer. I want to be able to spar for long periods of time without having to worry about conserving energy.

I would like to run 6 miles instead of walking 6 miles. I want to work hard and long. It just after a long run I feel very tired and when I get to class that day I have very little energy. I want running to feel more like walking. After I go for a walk for an hour I still have plenty of energy.

It wouldn't bother me to walk everyday but running really wears me out. I get burnt out. Is it possible to build up from walking to jogging to running?
Eventually building up to a 6 mile run everyday day or two with plenty of energy left over?

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Depends what you are training. You have aerobic and anaerobic energy systems and each one require conditioning. Lets say if you want to affect both do 800m run at high intensity. Is running your only conditioning exercise?

I also lift weights, do deep breathing exercises, go to class, and condition my hands and elbows for board breaks.

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you with feeling tired after a run. I've always been told to eat healthy while doing all that too. Never tried myself since I'm only 23 at 6'1 150lbs (I'm a fat kid at heart) so I anything and everything. I do know if I run everyday or atleast 3x's a week, it helps me. I usually do a 1.5 mile run one day. 2-3 mile run the 2nd day and around a 5 mile run the 3 day. Something that will help you too is if you have some land markers to go off of for this training here. At my last base, the back side of our running trail had a loooong line of telephone poles. Start off jogging to get warmed and once you get to your first telephone pole, take off in a hard sprint and the second, go back to jog, third sprint hard, and 4th jog and so on. It helped me a lot. Also, focus on breathing during the run too. For me personnally, long deep breaths on my really long runs.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something has worked good for us in the school is training tired. A small group of us is training after the regular classes not too hard to "die" but maintaining a strong rythm.

If you can work beyond your limits, you'll definetely improve in sparring, where you must be able to not only be moving for a couple of minutes per round but to have energy to kick good too. Maybe it sounds easy, but it's really devastating for unprepared people. (For example, today in our tournament we saw a couple of low levels who were really intense at the beginning but after 30 seconds they barely could move and breath well and their fights were just beginning...)

We are just doing it for almost 14 days, but we can already see the 1st results. I hope this info can help you a little ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are doing three one minute rounds, you would need about 40 hrs. of cardio per fight if that helps.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, a six mike run before a work out is quiet a lot. maybe alternate the running and the work out?

You may also need to examine your eating habits. sounds weird, but if you don't eat enough and often enough you run out of steam. it's a general problem I am having, works fine for squeezing into tight jeans, but not for effective sparring.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were you I would jump rope instead of running. You need something that most closely resembles what you want to do. So if you want to be able to fight for 2 or 3 min with a 30 sec to 1 min rest in between and still feel good, then something like running for a long distance won't give you results super quick (although it will of course give you gains in areas). I would jump rope for about 3-5 minutes (whatever you can do now and then working up to more and more) with 30 sec off (or whatever is less of a rest then you get between rounds in class) and do several sets of those, again working up as you go. In my opinion that will give you the most bang for your buck.
As to your other question, if you walk for awhile now you could work up to jogging and running. I would do it were I would walk for a mile and then jog for a mile and then walk for a mile, and slowly work your way up to more and more running.
Sounds like you have good aspirations and are ready to work hard! Best of Luck!