Con-Artist Martial Artists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by jkdgenius, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member

The visiting instructor has the same "right" to offer a rank as anyone else. As I mentioned in an earlier post, any rank credential is just somebody offering their assurance that a person meets certain standards within a given art. The question is - what is that assurance worth?

I could issue someone a rank certificate in karate, but it would be meaningless since I have no significant background or expertise in any form of karate.

I could issue a rank in BJJ to someone that I just observed at a seminar. This would be "legitimate" in that I have significant BJJ experience and my expertise to make such judgments is recognized by the BJJ community. However my assurances on the matter would be much less informed than they would be if the practitioner was a personal student of mine.

Even if I knew a BJJ practitioner and their abilities well, I would not offer to promote someone who was an active student of another instructor. Not because the rank would be invalid, but because accepting it would cause friction between the student and their teacher. Best to have one person responsible for tracking the student's progress.

In some systems, it is common practice to have students tested for rank by a panel of senior instructors from outside their school. I can understand the arguments for such an approach, but I think it leads to a less informed judgment of a practitioner's capabilities than promotion based on an instructor's day-in and day-out observation of the student's performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Currently, I only have "adult" classes (every time I say that, I think it sounds like "adult" in "adult film"). I'd allow age 15+ in, though I've never had anyone under about 23 show up. If I opened classes to "youth" or "teens", that would be about ages 12-15. I have a hard time imagining myself teaching anyone under about age 8. When I was teaching kids classes, my instructor had only just started allowing kids under that age into the school. Every time I've watched classes for 4-7 year olds, it doesn't look like fun to teach.

I wonder about the rank issue. When I played soccer (11 years), obviously there were no ranks. And kids often played for several years. Of course, that included a game every week, and lots of running about and doing soccery stuff at practice, so that might be the difference. Perhaps, absent the play and constant games, ranks provide something to focus on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    A fair bit of that went on in the late 70's and early 80's. My second (and primary) Shotokan instructor (also my Judo instructor) left the Karate organization he was in because he'd seen people basically buying rank from high-ranking members of the organization.

4. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Yeah, I'd put a BJJ brown belt (or possibly even purple) as equivalent to time and technical prowess for a shodan in the NGAA. Mind you, that's coming from a very limited exposure to BJJ folks, but that includes one person who is currently a brown belt (I think) in BJJ and yudansha in NGA. It's possible his prior experience in NGA (as long as my own - we actually joined within a couple of months of each other IIRC) makes him a bit more technically competent than the average person at his rank, and his prior experience teaching almost certainly makes him above average for an instructor of his rank.

5. wingchun100

wingchun100 Senior Master

My favorite martial arts fraud has got to be Dillman.

6. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Dillman’s great, but I’m more of an Ashida Kim guy, personally. Different type of comedy IMO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wingchun100

Or what about the "Thank you, Paul" guy?

8. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

What’s that?

Never mind. How can I forget him. I genuinely think Master Ken is based heavily on Ashida Kim.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pgsmith

pgsmith Master of Arts

I agree, except that Ashida Kim is funnier because he's serious! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Exactly. You can’t make up stuff that funny.

11. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

... but what if I forget one of those steps.. will it still be a brutal killing and maiming combination??

(Oh wow.. this is actually my first exposure to this often spoken of Ashida Kim... that was truly something to behold... wow... did he really say rip the ear and the flesh off?? :O )

• Like Like x 1
  12. wingchun100

He is buddies with Frank Dux.

13. Kababayan

Kababayan Blue Belt

Wow. I haven't visited this thread for a couple of days and I am missing so many good responses. On the subject of "con-artist" martial artists (if we still are...my computer is so slow that I haven't read the last few pages) I always found it misleading when a dojo would advertise something that they didn't teach and try to sell it to potential students. Jiu Jitsu, for example, when all that is taught are wrist locks and such. Or "Yes we teach BJJ. It's incorporated into our main (insert whatever traditional stand-up MA program.)" I taught Kempo for years and just because it includes kicks, doesn't mean that I teach Tae Kwon Do. Paul Vunak (name drop) taught me the straightblast, so I think I am going to advertise that I teach Wing Chun now. There is a dojo nearby that has started advertising that they teach Krav Maga within their system. I personally know the creator of their system and they don't teach anything that's Krav Maga.

14. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I know some folks list the styles that influenced their style, because those are better known. It wasn't unusual back in the day (before "Aikido" was a recognizable art name in some areas) for NGA schools to have "Judo, Karate, and Jujutsu" (and sometimes kobudo, though that's a stretch) listed under the name of the style on their school window. I guess I'm adding "Boxing, BJJ, Kali, and miscellaneous crap I picked up" to my marketing. Or is that too much? :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. TheArtofDave

TheArtofDave Blue Belt

I heard about a mcsensi running a mcdojo. The times he claimed to learn the arts he taught didn't line up properly with when he learned them. He was teaching his students garbage. If you can't spot one of these from the instructors. Yeah crap mcdojo just doesn't work for me.

16. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Fred.jpeg
    My personal favorite.

17. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

The original McDojo

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Is that Jake “The Snake” Roberts? If so, he’s the real deal! :)

19. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Now that is some dedication to stripes. Doesn't he know horizontal stripes add weight?

20. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    That, sir, is disturbing.

• Funny Funny x 1