Competition and Teaching

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, so here's the rub...

I don't have any plans on giving up the martial arts anytime soon, and in my current situation, it means the longer I stick around the more I'll end up teaching. The problem comes from the fact that I've never been much of a competitor, and tae kwon do has a pretty major competition aspect to it for a lot people. I've competed in tournaments and I've done well when I have, but I've never made much of an in depth study of the competition, strategies, training methods, etc. It's just not an aspect of my art that interests me all that much. At the same time, if I were an instructor I wouldn't want to deny a student a chance to pursue high-level competition if they want to try. Has anybody else encountered a similar situation? Just looking for some ideas from people. Should I make it more of a point to study sparring, or just let them know where they can find an instructor that's better at teaching those principles than I would be?

No rush, it'll be a few years before I would face this situation, but no time like the present to start tackling a possible problem...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Competing is not for everyone. Some people are just not going to have an interest, and IMO, if they don't, then that is their choice and they should not be made to feel as if they have to. However, if they are interested in competing, then yes, I'd say that it would be important to have some way to guide them in the proper direction, such as giving them advice of your own, or helping them find someone at your school that would be able to give advice.

Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
Alright, so here's the rub...

I don't have any plans on giving up the martial arts anytime soon, and in my current situation, it means the longer I stick around the more I'll end up teaching. The problem comes from the fact that I've never been much of a competitor, and tae kwon do has a pretty major competition aspect to it for a lot people. I've competed in tournaments and I've done well when I have, but I've never made much of an in depth study of the competition, strategies, training methods, etc. It's just not an aspect of my art that interests me all that much. At the same time, if I were an instructor I wouldn't want to deny a student a chance to pursue high-level competition if they want to try. Has anybody else encountered a similar situation? Just looking for some ideas from people. Should I make it more of a point to study sparring, or just let them know where they can find an instructor that's better at teaching those principles than I would be?

No rush, it'll be a few years before I would face this situation, but no time like the present to start tackling a possible problem...
If you find that even after a few years that teaching sparring is still not your forte, there are other alternatives. It's not a bad idea to have another instructor with you. You could teach using your knowledge on the forms/one-steps/etc. The other instructor could capitalize on his/her knowledge of teaching the finer tips and strategies of competition.

I'd guess in a few years, you would probably be able to find someone who works well with you as a co-instructor.

- Ceicei

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now, it's not a problem because my friend, that tested and recieved his black belt at the same time as me is a great at teaching things like sparring. We make a pretty good tag team. But I know he's not always gonna be around and neither am I. This wouldn't even be an issue if I were planning on staying in the area. My instructor and his instructor are both great teachers and both have done extremely well in competition when they used to compete. So if I ever had a student that wanted to learn they'd be right there to help me. The problem comes from the fact that I'm at an uncertain period in my life. I'll graduate from college next year with a degree in computer science and I'll need to go where the jobs are and that may or may not be where I'm currently at. I'll also be probably be close to testing for 2nd dan by that time. And although I think that's still too soon to run your own school, if I move to an area that doesn't have any decent schools I'd probably try teaching, if nothing else, for the training opportunities it would provide me.

This brings up another problem I was going to discuss elsewhere, but I guess here is as good as anywhere else. I really have a problem when I think of myself teaching people. What if they get put in a situation where they are forced to use their training and it fails them? It's pretty scary to me that I would be teaching people and they may not be gaining anything from it. How do you deal with that as an instructor?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
This brings up another problem I was going to discuss elsewhere, but I guess here is as good as anywhere else. I really have a problem when I think of myself teaching people. What if they get put in a situation where they are forced to use their training and it fails them? It's pretty scary to me that I would be teaching people and they may not be gaining anything from it. How do you deal with that as an instructor?
All you can do is teach your students in the best way you know how and hope things go well for them. There are no guarantees in life. Even the most accomplished martial artist may not always come out a winner in a conflict. Make sure your students understand that. All they can do is train as well as they can and do everything to maximize the odds in their favor, even if it means as simply as avoiding the situation.

- Ceicei

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
i love kickin butt and when i am high enough level i would love to teach other people how to do that better than me but until then its up to my instructor. but man i love to do it. and i think i'm good at it; i don't mean to brag but i was built for it.

cause kid said so

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
bignick said:
Right now, it's not a problem because my friend, that tested and recieved his black belt at the same time as me is a great at teaching things like sparring. We make a pretty good tag team. But I know he's not always gonna be around and neither am I. This wouldn't even be an issue if I were planning on staying in the area. My instructor and his instructor are both great teachers and both have done extremely well in competition when they used to compete. So if I ever had a student that wanted to learn they'd be right there to help me. The problem comes from the fact that I'm at an uncertain period in my life. I'll graduate from college next year with a degree in computer science and I'll need to go where the jobs are and that may or may not be where I'm currently at. I'll also be probably be close to testing for 2nd dan by that time. And although I think that's still too soon to run your own school, if I move to an area that doesn't have any decent schools I'd probably try teaching, if nothing else, for the training opportunities it would provide me.

One thing to make sure of, is that you put your priorities in order of how things will benefit you. Its obvious that you enjoy the arts, as well as teaching, but as you said, you'll be graduating soon, and most likely, will want to find a job that is in the field of your study. Its hard leaving something that you like, and I can certainly understand where you're coming from, as its happened to me when I started my current job.

One thing about training, is that while it does give you an advantage, it does not make one a Superman. You would think that if someone was a high rank and had devoted many years of study that they'd do well, but they might not. One thing that I feel is important, is to evaluate your own training. Compose a list of goals. For example:

1- How do you feel about your own training?

2- Is there anything that is lacking?

3- What are your strong points?

4- What are your weak points?

5- Is there anything that you can do to improve your current training?

If your goal is SD, then you need to make sure that is what you gear your training towards. Keeping your training as real as you can is a good way to start. You need to look at everything you're teaching and seriously ask yourself, "Will this work if I'm faced with someone that is trying to cause me serious harm?" If you come across something that you don't think will work, then you can A) find a way to make it work or B) don't include that material into the training.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Big Nick I have read all your post and you my friend are one intelligent fellow. Why on earth would you let this brother you, you teach what you have learned and if for some reason your not secure enough to teach this part of TKD, like sparring technique leave it alone. Let someone else due that part. Remember you have the tools to teach so do what you know and work on the rest of the game. Also a competition like sparring is a chest match, you have to have years of practice to be really good at it. The road has just begun for you, do not judge yourself let those that gave you your rank be your judge and I bet everything will be fine.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Big Nick I have read all your post and you my friend are one intelligent fellow. Why on earth would you let this brother you, you teach what you have learned and if for some reason your not secure enough to teach this part of TKD, like sparring technique leave it alone. Let someone else due that part. Remember you have the tools to teach so do what you know and work on the rest of the game. Also a competition like sparring is a chest match, you have to have years of practice to be really good at it. The road has just begun for you, do not judge yourself let those that gave you your rank be your judge and I bet everything will be fine.
Excellent advice Terryl1965! Bignick, if you are not up on the most modern training methods, it's okay to help your students work with someone who is. I was brought up through the ranks in the old style but I am trying to learn the modern methods-I want my students to have the knowledge if they choose to compete. So, we work out with those who do have that knowledge.

Good Luck!

Miles

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would emphasise first, the difference between comp and street, then just have fun, and yes, if you know another who is more comp minded, see if he wants to help!

J

Jim Tindell

I feel the same way. I love competing as well as teaching, but I was trained in a more traditional sense of Taekwondo than what is popular today. Most of our techniques focus on punching and hard, solid strikes... which is not the norm for most competition-based schools. I will be leaving my area soon, as well. I'm comfortable teaching class on my own, but I did not recruit any of the students that I teach currently... they were all around when my instructor was still teaching in the area. So, if I ever do branch off and start my own school, I am afraid I will have a hard time finding students who are willing to train hard and learn traditional WTF Taekwondo, rather than that Olympic, guards-down type of sparring. So I may have to adjust to teaching both, and mixing them together. Looks like I have a lot of self-teaching to do before I get to that position.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nick, I believe two things:

1) As you continue to train, grow, and develop your skills, this stuff will sort itself out.

2) You should teach what you have. You are a product, and there is a market for it. Let the market decide if they want what you have when the time comes. Then refer back to #1.

You have no worries, brother. :asian:

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, thanks to all for your help and encouragement. As of right now, I'm so busy that the all I can worry about is the stuff that's just a half-step ahead of me. So these long term problems really aren't a big deal at the moment. That being said, I think I like Flatlander's idea, teach what you know and things should work themselves out.

Plus, hey, won't the worse I am the better I'll be at teaching....:wink:
Those who cannot do teach

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or those who can't teach teach teachers...

And what Flatlander said...it's all in there. You'll do great Nick because you care!

R

rmcrobertson

Oddly enough, the best martial artist I know also happens to be one of the few best teachers I've ever met.

Personally, I'd argue that any art putting tournaments above teaching is to be avoided.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, hey...here we are again.

More questions for those of you with more teaching experience than I. A couple of more things to ask about this time around. Not competition related but it's my thread and I'll cry if I want to...As I said before I don't really consider myself an instructor, though over the last 6 months I have spent a lot of time helping and teaching, and I've realized that just because I don't think I'm an instructor doesn't stop the lower ranks from looking at me and thinking of me as such...and as I predicted, it's not going away anytime soon. Things were so much simpler as just a plain, simple student, but anways....on to business...

Number One - How do you deal with a student that develops an attraction to you? It happened recently, nothing too serious just someone that asked me out. At that point I was so ridiculously busy that I had no time for any relationship of any kind. I politely told her as such. I thought about cracking a joke at this point about how totally understandable it is that they would be attracted me....but decided otherwise :ultracool. Seriously though, I know their are numerous threads about instructors dating students. I've seen it work great, and no so great. That's not the issue because after the time became available for me spend some time away from a computer I had decided that I would not feel comfortable dating a student, whether it be a fellow student or one of mine if I ever have any. Mostly for the fact that if it doesn't work, like after any failed relationship, being in close proximity can cause awkwardness. I'm not going to stop training so I don't want to feel directly/indirectly responsible for causing someone else to stop training. And I feel like a jerk when I turn someone down out of principle instead of lack of interest. We all know how much courage it can take to approach someone you like and to get turned down because that person has a "policy" can't feel too good. Any suggestions on the way to handle this or is honesty the best option (unfortuneately it usually is...)

Secondly, how do you deal with the student that comes to you looking for guidance in their life or help with a certain problem. Or in a related matter, you see someone who definitely needs help. It's happened a couple times now and once it was very serious. I'm lucky enough to consider just about everyone I train with a friend. And so far I've just offered them the support as a friend and encouraged them to seek other help/guidance. I am in no position to be handing out advice or guidance in life to anybody. I barely know what the hell I'm doing.

In the serious situation I referred to, I was not asked for help but over the course of time I became aware that the student participated in some serious self destructive behavior, through their own admission. Like I said, I just offered them support, told them I was available and to call me at any time whether it be the middle of the night or whenever and encouraged them to seek help. Eventually they did and it eased my mind.

In both situations, I feel I did the right thing, I don't think I could do much else, and am definitely not qualified to do anything else. But I was just looking for other people opinions/ideas on these situations and maybe, just maybe, a nice little pat on the back, saying, "That'll do, Nick...that'll do..."

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Any suggestions on the way to handle this or is honesty the best option (unfortuneately it usually is...)
Honesty is always the best option. Especially for the reasons you mentioned.

bignick said:
Secondly, how do you deal with the student that comes to you looking for guidance in their life or help with a certain problem. Or in a related matter, you see someone who definitely needs help.....
.....And so far I've just offered them the support as a friend and encouraged them to seek other help/guidance.
Ummm. [taps the big guy on shoulder] Did you not just answer your own question?

bignick said:
I just offered them support, told them I was available and to call me at any time whether it be the middle of the night or whenever and encouraged them to seek help. Eventually they did and it eased my mind.
bignick said:
In both situations, I feel I did the right thing,
This sounds like a case of you just needing to see your own thoughts. You seem to have an above average level of self awareness and maturity, imo. You did what you could within your capabilities and didn't try to put on a red cape. I really wish I could say something more constructive, but it seems to me, you've got it covered. If you ever move to NY, I got a TKD school for ya.

Regards,