Comparing Tracy and Parker techniques

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by cdhall
Arnisador,

It is like Math. The equation formula is a Kenpo Principle/Rule.

If you were given a mathematical equation to solve during a test or competition at the blackboard or whatever there are several ways that you might go about using Mathematical Principles/Rules to solve the equation. But you would be working it out on the fly to come up with an answer.

Same thing. The Equation Formula merely tells us that we can rearrange stuff (like legos) to come up with a design especially when we are under pressure. It is a reminder that it is more important for you to move well than to move in a certain prescribed manner (and as you might know, we have a LOT of "prescribed manners/techniques" in EPAK).

I hope I didn't just make that worse. Tell me if it doesn't make sense, I was onto something with the math contest analogy....

You don't use the equation formula when under pressure- you are in a proactive/reactive state and what you have practiced/trained with is what you do. The equation formula is a concept not a rule or principle. Look at the offensive/freestyle techniques. There is your mathmatical equations complete with numbers and letters.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman
You don't use the equation formula when under pressure- you are in a proactive/reactive state and what you have practiced/trained with is what you do....

I don't think we are saying different stuff. I mean that the Equation Formula is a reminder to you that you can pick and choose what you need when you are called upon to need something.

Just like working math problems at the board. Or picking and choosing targets in a fight. Etc. Right? I may not be making sense, but I think we're on the same page. Merry Christmas everyone.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by cdhall
I don't think we are saying different stuff. I mean that the Equation Formula is a reminder to you that you can pick and choose what you need when you are called upon to need something.

Just like working math problems at the board. Or picking and choosing targets in a fight. Etc. Right? I may not be making sense, but I think we're on the same page. Merry Christmas everyone.

I know what you are saying and I disagree. Maybe;) . Targets are created. For example: Your initial strike opens another target. It is how the body reacts to the strike (here is your zone cancellation) that tells you what your next best choice of target is. These are the SD techniques. Personally I believe the Equation F to be specific. So if you prefix a technique you could quite possibley be adjusting for range. To plug and play without reason, and reasons are usually pretty specific, makes no sense. You did say when you need something, so you could be saying something similar just less detailed.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

OP
K

Kenpomachine

The use of the equation with spontaneity is all what it is all about. Think about throwing stuff. There's an equation there, but you adjust the parameters to hit withouth thinking conciously in them (angle, force, speed and such).:teleport:

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
The use of the equation with spontaneity is all what it is all about. Think about throwing stuff. There's an equation there, but you adjust the parameters to hit withouth thinking conciously in them (angle, force, speed and such).:teleport:

Depends on the situation- The equation formula is loose. It says what not how or why. Spontaneity is cummulative of all things learned not just the equation formula. So no I would disagree with your statement that the equation formula with spontaneity are what "its" all about.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Sorry, I was terrible at math, but, I get it!

I teach math. and I also get it! OK, that makes sense. It's more about the rules of manipulating things--the algebra--than the equations themselves, I guess.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by arnisador
I teach math. and I also get it! OK, that makes sense. It's more about the rules of manipulating things--the algebra--than the equations themselves, I guess.

Sure- it is loose in the aspect it only says what. It is specific when what is defined. The equation is not finite so a comparitive analysis with algebra may not be the best. It is really just a basic teaching tool and one of many teaching aids. It is not a rule of manipulation because it does not say how it just says that you can.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Rainman
Depends on the situation- The equation formula is loose. It says what not how or why. Spontaneity is cummulative of all things learned not just the equation formula. So no I would disagree with your statement that the equation formula with spontaneity are what "its" all about.

You may not be aware of the formula you're using, but whether you like it or not, you're "living" physics formulas everyday.

But yes, common-sense is not in the equation formula and we use it too ;)

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
You may not be aware of the formula you're using, but whether you like it or not, you're "living" physics formulas everyday.

But yes, common-sense is not in the equation formula and we use it too ;)

the equation formula isn't a formula or a principle or a rule- it's permission.

peace to all.

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

Praise God arnisador! I am very pleased that this worked like I'd hoped. At least once anyway. I'm not going to further "tailor" another answer, I know there are discussions of the Equation Formula on this website and in Mr. Parker's books. Like The Encyclopedia of Kenpo p48.
:)

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by jazkiljok
the equation formula isn't a formula or a principle or a rule- it's permission.

peace to all.

:asian:

Must have messed it up with something else. My fault.:rolleyes: