Common Core Assignment Makes Students SCRAP Amendments in the Bill of Rights

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just when you thought government schooling couldn't get much worse, here is a picture of what the power elite who control education in this country have in store for your children...and your freedom.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/08/c...ixth-graders-scrap-bill-of-rights-amendments/

Unknown federal officials “have determined” that the Bill of Rights “is outdated and may not remain in its current form any longer,” the instructions say.Consequently, the sixth-graders were asked to “participate on the National Revised Bill of Rights Task Force.” They were required to “omit two and add two amendments to the Bill of Rights.”
At least one local parent is livid about the rights-scrapping assignment, reports Digital Journal.
“When I asked my child what the assignment was to teach her she had no idea,” claimed the parent, Lela Spears, in a written exchange. “She didn’t even understand what the Amendments meant. How can she make an informed decision when she doesn’t understand what she is ‘throwing out’? That was new to me. I also did not like the fact her teacher used, ‘you have been selected to help a special committee’ ********.”

Imagine a generation of children being taught that a special committee is all it takes to scrap amendments in the Bill of Rights. Imagine an entire generation of kids not really understanding what the Bill of Rights is, but understanding that it's outdated and aught to be changed? Unless something changes dramatically in the world of education, this will become the future for America.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is a stupid assignment, for sure.

But it's more likely that this was poor judgement on the part of a misguided educator than a grand conspiracy to intentionally mislead the youth of the entire nation. How much influence do you think this teacher has? If it eases your mind, my kids never had an assignment like this.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But it's more likely that this was poor judgement on the part of a misguided educator than a grand conspiracy to intentionally mislead the youth of the entire nation. How much influence do you think this teacher has?

I suppose this could be an interesting intellectual exercise, though students primarily should focus on what the Constitution actually is. But yeah, I'm not concerned it'll spread because "Unknown federal officials “have determined” that the Bill of Rights" is outdated. That's pretty vague stuff.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

But it's more likely that this was poor judgement on the part of a misguided educator than a grand conspiracy to intentionally mislead the youth of the entire nation. How much influence do you think this teacher has? If it eases your mind, my kids never had an assignment like this.

Common Core material is pretty standardized. Resources for it are published and disseminated en masse. Teachers don't have much freedom to deviate from it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I hear that often when something like this comes up. Like it makes it ok.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common Core material is pretty standardized. Resources for it are published and disseminated en masse. Teachers don't have much freedom to deviate from it.

I recognize that it's a tough fight, and that parents have to be willing to be actively involved, but don't educators have some responsibility to put "wacko" assignments like this into perspective for the students? Why simply present this material without explaining that the premise and methodology are fictional and explaining the actual process required to amend the constitution?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recognize that it's a tough fight, and that parents have to be willing to be actively involved, but don't educators have some responsibility to put "wacko" assignments like this into perspective for the students? Why simply present this material without explaining that the premise and methodology are fictional and explaining the actual process required to amend the constitution?

I suspect the whole thing is coming out of one of the Common Core workbooks. In those, the teacher is actually handed scripts about what to say, when to say it, and what kinds of questions to expect. The lessons are designed so the teacher can basically read a script, like they were proctoring a test, and deliver the basics of the material. Of course, many teachers add material into the lesson in order to provide a broader contexts, but many do not for whatever reason. The bottom line is that the regimented pedagogy is intended to directly teach to the standardized tests that will measure the application of content.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect the whole thing is coming out of one of the Common Core workbooks. In those, the teacher is actually handed scripts about what to say, when to say it, and what kinds of questions to expect. The lessons are designed so the teacher can basically read a script, like they were proctoring a test, and deliver the basics of the material. Of course, many teachers add material into the lesson in order to provide a broader contexts, but many do not for whatever reason. The bottom line is that the regimented pedagogy is intended to directly teach to the standardized tests that will measure the application of content.

There's an offensive word for that that's synonymous with bovine scat!

Latest Discussions