Coming Back to Martial Arts Training After Serious Injury

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I came across this article on Dragons List

And speaking as someone who has his share of injuries that took him out of training more than once over the last few decades, most recently the last 5 years, I think it is something we as martial artists should think about.

I can tell you I have run smack into and/or afoul of numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 7.

Full Article (Coming Back to Martial Arts Training After Serious Injury)

1. You won't be the same.
2. You won't be able to train as often or as intensely. At first.
3. Don't stop therapy
4. Pay close attention to pain
5. Be prepared to receive some jibs, and ignore them
6. Don't assume everyone knows what's wrong
7. Be prepared to feel frustrated and sad

1. I was not the same after every injury and sometimes I fully recovered and sometimes (this time) I didn't.
2. I was not able to train like I did before, but I tried to and always paid for that
3. I did stop therapy, in my youth, and paid for that to
4. I did not pay close attention to the pain, and even ignored it, and paid for that to, even did that one in the last 5 years, but I do now and it makes a big difference in getting better
5. Never had this problem.
6. I actually never assumed this.
7. Oh yeah, this one, bigtime

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll add my name to the list of people that have found the majority of the problems to be present after an injury and had to fight both physically and mentally to get past most of them

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this article on Dragons List

And speaking as someone who has his share of injuries that took him out of training more than once over the last few decades, most recently the last 5 years, I think it is something we as martial artists should think about.

I can tell you I have run smack into and/or afoul of numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 7.

Full Article (Coming Back to Martial Arts Training After Serious Injury)

1. I was not the same after every injury and sometimes I fully recovered and sometimes (this time) I didn't.
2. I was not able to train like I did before, but I tried to and always paid for that
3. I did stop therapy, in my youth, and paid for that to
4. I did not pay close attention to the pain, and even ignored it, and paid for that to, even did that one in the last 5 years, but I do now and it makes a big difference in getting better
5. Never had this problem.
6. I actually never assumed this.
7. Oh yeah, this one, bigtime
Great article, I would only add that this advice applies equally to serious illness, and the older you get, the longer any recovery seems to take. So be kind to yourself and don't rush it. When recovery is not going to be complete, remember that every art has an individual component and seize the opportunity to adapt the art to your capabilities and needs rather than viewing it as loss of capacity.

Latest Discussions