Come in, or go away.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is one famous martial artist who complains he never gets asked to do seminars. Then complains his students get great reviews for theirs.

Nobody ever told him why.

And again for him, so what? I don't really like the guy so he can figure that out for himself.
That's nice. Of course it has nothing to do with my assertion.

On the other hand. I have no issue with Bill.

So letting him walk out in front of a bus so I can say.

"So what?" Would make me the duchebag. Which to my own standards I try not to be.
No offense, but did you have a point here?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's nice. Of course it has nothing to do with my assertion.

No offense, but did you have a point here?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

You supported your assertion with an anecdote about a martial artist. So I countered it with one.

And your assertion was So what? which is basically an assertion of everything.

I killed a puppy today.
So what?

I dont like the color yellow.
So what?

I feel creation is as valid as darwins evolution.
So what?

Not exactly high debate here is it?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You supported your assertion with an anecdote about a martial artist. So I countered it with one.

I killed a puppy today.
So what?

So what?

So what?

Say it with me, "context." Your above examples have no context related to the OP. In contrast, your statement to which I replied was contextually related to the OP but still wasn't relevant to the discussion. Your claim was that the OP was guilty of the same crime of which he was complaining. Your second assertion is that his choice of how to select students is bad bouncing technique. If there ever was an irrelevant equivalency, that is an example and heartily earns a "so what?" The goals of selecting students are not equivalent to those of bouncing at all with the exception that both typically including humans and may sometimes lead to fighting.

So, again, to recap:
  • You think that the OP is guilty of being irritating on the phone (or something). So what? He can run his school however he wants.
  • You think that the OP is using bad bouncing technique. So what? He's running a martial arts school, not bouncing.
I kinda enjoy a lot of your posts, but the line of reasoning your following is, frankly, illogical.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say it with me, "context." Your above examples have no context related to the OP. In contrast, your statement to which I replied was contextually related to the OP but still wasn't relevant to the discussion. Your claim was that the OP was guilty of the same crime of which he was complaining. Your second assertion is that his choice of how to select students is bad bouncing technique. If there ever was an irrelevant equivalency, that is an example and heartily earns a "so what?" The goals of selecting students are not equivalent to those of bouncing at all with the exception that both typically including humans and may sometimes lead to fighting.

So, again, to recap:
  • You think that the OP is guilty of being irritating on the phone (or something). So what? He can run his school however he wants.
  • You think that the OP is using bad bouncing technique. So what? He's running a martial arts school, not bouncing.
I kinda enjoy a lot of your posts, but the line of reasoning your following is, frankly, illogical.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

The context is humans. That is the line of reasoning. On the phone where the customer does the wrong thing. In the pub where the patron does the wrong thing. And in sales in general were the only reason you have a salesperson is basically because everyone does the wrong thing.

And the way to get a large portion of them to do the right thing is to communicate that to the human in a way that they understand and can actually reasonably comply.

So what? Is the the break in logic. Nobody exept you has put forward the idea that if there was a way of getting the guy on the phone to come in. It would not be worth trying.

And hey at the end of the day If you don't like my logic.

So what?

It is my post and I can do what I like.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I killed a puppy today.
So what?

So what?

So what?

Reminds me of Metallica's cover of "So What?!" by Anti-Nowhere League

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not a instructor, but this makes me angry when this happens. Either get your a** over here or quit calling me.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The context is humans. That is the line of reasoning.

[...]

And the way to get a large portion of them to do the right thing is to communicate that to the human in a way that they understand and can actually reasonably comply.
So your whole thesis is so generic and generalized that it is about anything having to do with "humans" just as much as with the OP?

And hey at the end of the day If you don't like my logic.

So what?

It is my post and I can do what I like.
Sure. If you want to post irrelevant stuff.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are still a person. You either have the time to help them out or you don't.

The other side of that argument would be, "Yes, the caller is a person...but so are the students in the dojo who paid you to train them. They didn't pay so they can watch you talk on the phone."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So your whole thesis is so generic and generalized that it is about anything having to do with "humans" just as much as with the OP?

Sure. If you want to post irrelevant stuff.

Yes. You seem to think that is a bad thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The other side of that argument would be, "Yes, the caller is a person...but so are the students in the dojo who paid you to train them. They didn't pay so they can watch you talk on the phone."

The better you can communicate the less time you will spend communicating.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my 2cents;
i worked in car sales for 7 years and owned my own construction company for many years where i had to do all the sales work. the one thing i learned is ...people suck. not everyone, but many. there is a big difference between sales and customer service. customer service should ALWAY be polite and friendly. sales on the other hand has the responsibilty to weed out the people and jobs you dont want. if you take a client or a job that is a royal PIA, it will cost you big time both in time and money not to mention your sanity.
in the martial art world taking on a student who has an attitude problem can cost you your dojo. i have seen students you want to sue because they accidently got poked in the eye, it wasnt a big deal, no damage to the eye just hurt a little. i have seen people who want to hurt other students, flirt and date every female in the building, liars and theft. there is also a community aspect to the school and if someone doesnt fit and doesnt get along with others the good students will quit.
dont ever let bad people in the dojo.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my 2cents;
i worked in car sales for 7 years and owned my own construction company for many years where i had to do all the sales work. the one thing i learned is ...people suck. not everyone, but many. there is a big difference between sales and customer service. customer service should ALWAY be polite and friendly. sales on the other hand has the responsibilty to weed out the people and jobs you dont want. if you take a client or a job that is a royal PIA, it will cost you big time both in time and money not to mention your sanity.
in the martial art world taking on a student who has an attitude problem can cost you your dojo. i have seen students you want to sue because they accidently got poked in the eye, it wasnt a big deal, no damage to the eye just hurt a little. i have seen people who want to hurt other students, flirt and date every female in the building, liars and theft. there is also a community aspect to the school and if someone doesnt fit and doesnt get along with others the good students will quit.
dont ever let bad people in the dojo.

just proof reading my post ...there are students who want to sue the dojo,, not students that YOU want to sue.

the bottom line is one bad apple ruins the lot. it has been my experience that if you have issues with a person on day one, things only get worse from there. they almost never get better.

Latest Discussions