Combine MA training with your daily running

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have done my 3 - 4 miles running for the past 30 years. I want to keep doing it. I know if I stop doing it today, I may never be able to do it again.

I always feel guilty when I run. I feel that I should spend the same amount of time to train MA instead. I have tried to replace my running with my footwork training. But I find out it doesn't give me enough workout on my heart. I can have enough motivation to run 3 miles. I don't have enough motivation to repeat my form 20 times non-stop.

In my yesterday 3 miles running, when my legs were running, my upper body did:

- jab, cross,
- left hook, right hook,
- left uppercut, right uppercut,
- low hook, middle hook, high hook,
- hay-maker, back fist,
- downward parry, upward wrap,
- comb hair, hay-maker,

When I finished my running, I felt that I have done twice amount of my training (both my legs and my arms). If you also feel guilty about running as I do, may be you can consider this as well.

Your thought?

Here is one example of horizontal arm swing that I did when I run. I will do all my drills for 3 sets and 20 drills per set (60 reps).

Last edited:

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Boxers run like crazy. I’ve read many times that Shaolin students run miles in the mountains. My opinion I think running is critical for MA, and if you can’t run, then jump rope, elliptical, or bike.

D

Deleted member 39746

Its kind of a different skillet to run than to do MA. I think anyway, the types of exercises and what you can mix together semi eludes me still.

And yeah, if you can run its good, or do alternatives to it which give the same result. And as thats generally most of the time people will use their legs for long distances its pretty useful to keep doing.

I think people can get too caught up in some exercises and neglect other areas.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My running used to always involve different combinations. Not so much for the technique, but for timing with the combos, plus it helped me pace my run.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, I do that pigua arm swing when I do side steps. Didn't know it was an actual thing, just thought it helped me open up my body pre-workout.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with viewing any other exercise as part of MA training. I don't try to mix exercises, unless I see a flaw in one. Trying to do something specific with arms while running isn't focusing on the running. If I run, I run. If I do strength work, I do strength work. When I train MA, I try to stay focused on the MA training. They support each other.

Latest Discussions