Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Telfer has it right.

Historically, martial refers to war.

martialis (Lat.) relating to Mars (Roman god of war)

while combat can refer to something fought by a group or an individual.

com (Lat.) with another person
battuere (Lat.) batter, hit, strike

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Telfer has it right.

Yay!! Carol did my work for me!

Carol, my dog rolled in a dead rat today. Can you come over and give her a bath? ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yay!! Carol did my work for me!

Carol, my dog rolled in a dead rat today. Can you come over and give her a bath? ;)

Uh, gee...I feel kind of stupid all of a sudden. Raincheck? :lol:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry, Xue. I have tremendous respect for your knowledge and opinion, but in this case I stand firm. Martial quite definitely refers to the military, but combat is a more generic term. However, that is only my opinion, I'm not going to bother with trying to document it. :)

Telfer has it right.

Never said martial wasn't military I did say that martial and combat can mean the same thing

By "dictionary" definition and you might want to look at #3 under martial. Could people who train "fighting styles" be considered warriors?
And ironically #3 under combat

martial
–adjective
1. inclined or disposed to war; warlike: The ancient Romans were a martial people.
2. of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music.
3. characteristic of or befitting a warrior: a martial stride.

combat
–verb (used with object)
1. to fight or contend against; oppose vigorously: to combat crime.
–verb (used without object)
2. to battle; contend: to combat with disease.
–noun
3. Military. active, armed fighting with enemy forces.
4. a fight, struggle, or controversy, as between two persons, teams, or ideas

And frankly, and I mean no offense, I don't care if you me or anyone else defines it as marital or combat.

I am bordering a rant here but "Combat" added to the title of the majority of martial arts schools is plain outright unadulterated sales. They are not saying Martial arts Karate or martial arts taiji or martial arts sanshou they are labeling thing "Combat" Karate, "Combat" taiji, "Combat" sanshou (and that title is so FAR from showing any understanding of Sanshou it is rather funny and Combat Kung Fu is just plain wrong). And they are using the title "Combat" to give the impression it is more effective than the "fighting style" without combat in the title. Or that they are such great masters of the style that they have brought the "Real" fighting and usefulness of it back in, or they discovered it and that, IMO, is a load of bull and sales.

I am not debating whether or not something should be called Martial or Combat I am however getting sick and tires of seeing the "Combat" label on "fighting styles" from various cultures (some designed for military use and war by the way). To me it is either pure sales or showing a complete lack of understanding of the arts that they teach.

Are there exceptions? Yes there are but the majority labels it "Combat" for sales purposes.

Let me see, martial or combat :hmm: .

If it is a "Do" what is it? If it is a "Jutsu" what is it? If it is Bajiquan what is it? if it is Xingyiquan what is it? if it is Baguazhang, Taijiquan or Wing Chun what is it? and would sports sanda be a Combat style or a martial style? Oh but what about Sanda for the Chinese Military is that combat of martial? Systema, Krav Maga what are they?

Martial is a classification nothing more as can be the term Combat but most are not using it as a classification they are using it as sales to bring in students.

Combat Macramé anyone?

Last edited:

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am bordering a rant here but "Combat" added to the title of the majority of martial arts schools is plain outright unadulterated sales.

Martial is a classification nothing more as can be the term Combat but most are not using it as a classification they are using it as sales to bring in students.

I agree with you. It is a way of convincing people that the system is more effective as a means of self defense, which may or may not be the case.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
While calling a system Combat whatever can be a scham to make more $$$ and adds a GRRRRR factor to a name, it can also differentiate the fact that the style in question puts hand to hand combat training first and foremost.

In this country, where they majority of martial arts schools put self defense after many other priorities and where many systmes are fantasy fighting and whatnot, it can be good to state the difference in the name.

I refer to what I do as Traditional and Combat Jujutsu because people now a days think of BJJ when you say Jujutsu.

To me Combat Jujutsu means SD is job 1 and the art is addapted to today's World, not a few hundred years ago.

masurai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While calling a system Combat whatever can be a scham to make more $$$ and adds a GRRRRR factor to a name, it can also differentiate the fact that the style in question puts hand to hand combat training first and foremost.

In this country, where they majority of martial arts schools put self defense after many other priorities and where many systmes are fantasy fighting and whatnot, it can be good to state the difference in the name.

I refer to what I do as Traditional and Combat Jujutsu because people now a days think of BJJ when you say Jujutsu.

To me Combat Jujutsu means SD is job 1 and the art is addapted to today's World, not a few hundred years ago.

My thoughts exactly.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
You mean

COMBAT WHATEVAH

we'll do anything...you can't stop us. We'll do what we want.

All hail soke Jerry Springer. :D