Columbus Ohio Martial Arts Instruction

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Al, Jim, and Will Tracy were early students of Ed Parker, starting back in the late 1950s. Later, Mr. Parker began to make changes to the art, taking it in a different direction. The Tracys didn't agree with many of these changes, so they eventually split from Mr. Parker, and established their own lineage of kenpo. They feel that they have kept their kenpo closer to how Mr. Parker first learned it from his own teacher in Hawaii.

Currently, Al Tracy heads the organization, his brothers are no longer formally involved.

The Tracys have also incorporated some elements from other arts, both Japanese and Chinese, into their method, so yes, there have been changes of their own made.

Jay T. Will was a student under the Tracys. I believe he may have also had some training under Mr. Parker, or some of Mr. Parker's other students, so I imagine there would be some of those influences in how his lineage practices their method.

Any of the kenpo methods can be a very good path to follow, if well taught and if the art speaks to you and is a good match for you.

Thanks for the information. I'll certainly give Mr. Lamprecht consideration, depending on how things work out with my immediate choices and how much time I have. It seems there are several good choices here, I'll just have to find the one that's right for me.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jay T. Will was a student under the Tracys. I believe he may have also had some training under Mr. Parker, or some of Mr. Parker's other students, so I imagine there would be some of those influences in how his lineage practices their method.
Jay originally studied under Mr. Parker. When he moved to San Jose, he began studies under the Tracys, at Mr. Parker's recommendation. He eventually earned his Shodan there, but went back to Mr. Parker to test again under his original teacher, which he claimed wasn't a problem since what Mr. Parker and the Tracys were teaching at the time was virtually the same. Again, all this according to Jay. He eventually earned his Seventh from Mr. Parker, and his Eighth under Mr. Tracy after Mr. Parker's death.

Jack, sorry I havn't addressed the EPAK/Tracy's question, but others on this forum have already done so far more eloquently than I could.

You might also want to check out the Krav Maga schools in the area, or Tony Brown's Hung Gar school.

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jay originally studied under Mr. Parker. When he moved to San Jose, he began studies under the Tracys, at Mr. Parker's recommendation. He eventually earned his Shodan there, but went back to Mr. Parker to test again under his original teacher, which he claimed wasn't a problem since what Mr. Parker and the Tracys were teaching at the time was virtually the same. Again, all this according to Jay. He eventually earned his Seventh from Mr. Parker, and his Eighth under Mr. Tracy after Mr. Parker's death.

Jack, sorry I havn't addressed the EPAK/Tracy's question, but others on this forum have already done so far more eloquently than I could.

You might also want to check out the Krav Maga schools in the area, or Tony Brown's Hung Gar school.

Thanks Randy,

The differences are a bit confusing. I've read some things about more techniques in Tracy's I think.

I've heard about Tony Brown's kung fu school, but I don't really know anything about him.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Randy,

The differences are a bit confusing. I've read some things about more techniques in Tracy's I think.

Tracy's does have a larger curriculum than most other related kenpo systems that I am aware of. I wouldn't get too hung up on that point one way or the other. The kenpo systems tend to be structured in a similar way, using Self Defense techniques that are designed to give you useful tactics for dealing with certain kinds of attacks. Some people like to have a longer list of these, others prefer a shorter list. Either way, the approach is similar, and you can get very good results from any of them, provided they are well taught and it's a good match for you.

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tracy's does have a larger curriculum than most other related kenpo systems that I am aware of. I wouldn't get too hung up on that point one way or the other. The kenpo systems tend to be structured in a similar way, using Self Defense techniques that are designed to give you useful tactics for dealing with certain kinds of attacks. Some people like to have a longer list of these, others prefer a shorter list. Either way, the approach is similar, and you can get very good results from any of them, provided they are well taught and it's a good match for you.

Thank you Mr. Crane.

It looks like I'm going to try something else, at least for the moment, but if I do decide to give Kenpo a try it seems as though Mr. Lamprecht comes highly recommended.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you found something you think you'll enjoy. Sorry I couldn't get some info together faster... but I'm having trouble getting answers from busy folks.

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad you found something you think you'll enjoy. Sorry I couldn't get some info together faster... but I'm having trouble getting answers from busy folks.

That's ok JKS. Thanks for trying.

I'd still be interested to know about Bando when they get back to you. I won't be able to start anything until next week at the earliest, and who knows how things will work out.

Thanks again!

yukimasahiko

White Belt
Reaction score
I have to recommend Central Ohio Martial Arts - I train in Haidong Gumdo there. Korean Sword Art. Master Clements teaches a wide range of Korean Martial Arts including Jido Kwan Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haidong Gumdo, Kuk Kung, as well as hosts a Tai Chi class. I love the school and would strongly recommend anyone there.

http://centralohiomartialarts.com/

Hey! Thats the school im learning about cause I wanna join in may or after may.I live in columbus and I am wanting to take up Haidong Gumdo as well.
Can u tell me a little bit about your experiance there cause I really like to know things befor joining. I talked to I think it was master clemets over the phone she sounds really nice. Just msg me when u have time ^^ ty