Colors

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does your school have colored uniforms, or restrictions on colors?

Where I train, white uniforms til brown belt, then you can wear black. Green uniform tops for tournaments. There are a few folks with other colors that have been grandfathered in, but for the most part, that's it.

Is there any meaning behind the colors your school uses?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Red Pants and Club T-Shirt is the uniform :) we use.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my school, white uniforms for those white belts through purple. The blue belts have the option of going to blue uniforms. When reaching brown belt, we can transition to black uniforms. Black belts may wear any color and mix colors (ie., one color top and another color pants).

In the summer when it is hot, we are allowed to wear club t-shirts (any color) with gi pants (according to rank mentioned in first paragraph).

Demo teams, however, have special uniforms. I'm not sure yet what color uniforms they have (my sons are on the teams).

- Ceicei

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gi's are white until brown belts. After brown you can get a black uniform. Some people on the demo. team have these black/red checked gi's.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mostly black gi's. No real restriction though. Some wear white. Some sweats and a t-shirt if so inclined.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
More traditional club where I consult; white uniform to green belt, then black optional. One group has set their own dress code stricter than mine; black pants, black or red T-shirts or black gi top. Private/semi private training; whatever. I normally wear sweats or shorts to teach.
The group where I train is pants/shorts according to taste/weather; organizational shirt preferred.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blue uniforms
black belts can wear black or a blue top and black bottoms

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I forgot to add to my previous comment that those children who attend our after-school program [our dojo bus picks up the students from their schools and they stay at the dojo until parents finish work and pick them up] wear blue gis with double striped white trim regardless of rank.

- Ceicei

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We only wear white uniforms because our art is sooo pure...;)

Q

Quick Sand

All students in my association wear white uniforms. When you become a black belt instructor you wear a black top with white pants. Master Instructors have a black strip down the side of the white pants and the top two people in the association, Founder and president, wear all black gi's. Students must wear a white t-shirt under the gi top, instructors wear a black t-shirt under the black gi top.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My current training doesn't require a uniform. However, my previous Okinawa-te training required a black gi. Once you earned your black belt, you could wear other colors, usually white, gray, or some combination. I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who wore something more colorful. You could also wear a hakama if you wanted. I never got one, and I just stuck with a plain black gi.

Cthulhu

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Black uniforms until Blackbelt, then any color you want.

We do a fair bit of groundwork, and traditionally work outside often... Black Gi don't show dirt and grass stains as well.

M

MisterMike

Black hakama, black or white gi tops. We should try and wear what our Sensei is wearing for a top when we come in. White means a -Do class, and black a -Jutsu or weapons class. We seem to wear black more than white ;)

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
most of us wear black tops trimmed in red along with the bottoms that have a red stripe...they were originally a tourney gi, but we've kinda migrated over to wearing them all the time..'cept for me...I still wear regular black pants...and jeans on some nights. ;)

L

LadyDragon

At my school its white gi till purple belt. Then you can wear a black gi. And if your in the black belt club, you can wear a red gi. Instructors and black belts can mix and match.

K

kenpo12

White gi until brown, then black gi is optional. After Black belt pretty much any color is ok except for Tie Die. (Unless you're Clyde)

B

Black Bear

No uniforms. Usually t-shirts and a short or athletic pant with a solid tyable string or elastic.

Mouthguard and wrestling shoes are a must. Cup recommended.

We wear bag gloves, open-finger gloves, 16-oz gloves, or none as per the drill. Headgear on certain drills. Eye protection on certain drills. BLAUER High Gear for certain drills.

Very few of us are interested in gi grappling, but those of us who do, obviously use the gi for that.

Latest Discussions