Collapsible Canes?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am never at a point where I can't walk without a cane, though I'm sometimes (especially after a lot of sitting - like an intercontinental flight) only able to walk pain-free if I have one. So if it is useless after seeing defensive deployment, I'm okay with that.

I think I'll end up picking up two or three promising ones to play with. Maybe the one that survives until the trip is the one I take. :D

The one I mangled on that tree was an extendable metal one that has the little holes and knobs.

Everything held until the metal bent.

The elastic fold ones come apart if jabbed , held and pulled back and if they are swung baton style.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Prior to having my knee replacement surgeries I used a cane for a couple of years.
Used several; One similar to what drop bear suggested but when swinging it against a partner using a rattan stick it folded on the 2nd strike. And I was using the last 3 inches to strike with. Have used the Cold Steel Walking Stick but what became my favorite was a Cattleman Cane from a hardware store. $15.00 made of hickory, takes power strikes, and have never had a concern with TSA or and security anywhere. A plain walking stick can be a pain in where to place it when not walking. Lean against something or against yourself, it falls and then the insecure position of bending over to retrieve it whereas the hook on a cane can be draped over an arm or a chair back. Your mileage may vary.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to having my knee replacement surgeries I used a cane for a couple of years.
Used several; One similar to what drop bear suggested but when swinging it against a partner using a rattan stick it folded on the 2nd strike. And I was using the last 3 inches to strike with. Have used the Cold Steel Walking Stick but what became my favorite was a Cattleman Cane from a hardware store. $15.00 made of hickory, takes power strikes, and have never had a concern with TSA or and security anywhere. A plain walking stick can be a pain in where to place it when not walking. Lean against something or against yourself, it falls and then the insecure position of bending over to retrieve it whereas the hook on a cane can be draped over an arm or a chair back. Your mileage may vary.
I might end up back there - I was hoping for an answer that is more packable. I have a couple of nice oak canes Ed Martin made for me many years ago. One is my go-to when I'm around home and what I'd normally take for travel. The other is still sitting, waiting to be cut to length and finished. Maybe I'll end up staining that one and taking it on the trip.

Latest Discussions