Collapsible Canes?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have an international trip coming up where I'll be places I don't know. I'll need to take a cane with me (it's likely I'll be hobbling after a long flight). I always prefer to double up on functionality, and carry a cane that is useful as a weapon (usually just a solid oak cane with a larger crook). For convenience, I'd love to find a usable folding/collapsible cane that's strong enough to hold up to defensive use, if needed.

Anyone have any recommendations where to look?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No recommendations, but going anywhere nice?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe go the opposite direction... Get a collapsible cane that is very loose, and think "Nunchaku." ;) (make sure that the four little feet at the bottom, are always on the end you are hitting the other guy with...)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would suggest that an aluminum cane would be preferable to carbon fiber for defensive purposes. Besides, they're much cheaper. :) I like the t-handle versions myself.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that an aluminum cane would be preferable to carbon fiber for defensive purposes. Besides, they're much cheaper. :) I like the t-handle versions myself.
What's your reason for preferring aluminum to carbon fiber?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aluminium doesn't shatter...

(Yeah, you didn't ask me, but hey)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I've had a think...

zimmer-frame-500x500.jpg

Shield, restraint tool, blunt force weapon and excellent for some epic assisted kicks.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually use a stick every day and I have tried the collaspsible ones and they honestly were not great lol.

I know you may not rate them but I have two CS sticks the hammer head city stick and the Irish Black thorn one and they are pretty strong lol

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to train with someone who focused on a functional cane approach for those with physical limits. He actually preferred the inexpensive, 2 part adjustable canes. They hold up surprisingly well in self defense uses, and, unlike the "tactical pens" and the like, they don't look like anything other than what they are...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have found that collapsible anything will break over someone if you really whack them.
And dat ain't good.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Collapsible should be good for 1 fight though. Buy cheap and replace.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually use a stick every day and I have tried the collaspsible ones and they honestly were not great lol.

I know you may not rate them but I have two CS sticks the hammer head city stick and the Irish Black thorn one and they are pretty strong lol
CS sticks?

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found that collapsible anything will break over someone if you really whack them.
And dat ain't good.
Given the comments so far, I'm thinking maybe the collapsible/extendable aluminum ones would be best. Collapsed, they'd be pretty stout. Extended, they'd be weaker, but still better than not having something. My preference is my oak cane, but I tend to leave it home more because I hate to mess with it when I don't need it.

Latest Discussions