Cold Steels views on reverse grip.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pretty much agree. If it is a "duel" style fight, I would always pick the regular grip. My main motivation is range and stabbing ability. The only time I would use reverse is in very short range, very tight spaces or if it was the first way I grabbed it and didn't have time to adjust.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am mostly a forward grip blade person. This includes deuling or self-defense due to the tactics I advocate. Yet, I don't ignore what reverse grip is for, as it has its time and place. There are advantages to the reverse grip that have been expressed by many tactical knife geniuses in the blade world. If I am not mistaken, I believe that Master at Arms James Keating, a very talented knife instructor, is an advocate of the reverse grip in his draw-point series, particularly for civilian use.

I see major advantages in terms of quick deployment for the fixed blade, concealability, and assasination tactics that a military person in rare cases might need. I prefer a reverse grip particularly if I am caught in a grappling circumstance with the knife. I could see advantages of reverse grip if I were to be using it to back up my firearm hand as well.

You see, not everything is going to go down in real life like it will on the mats. If I am sparring with my trainer, it will be a duel that will require a forward grip to win. However, there is a good chance that in self-defense I won't have time to square off, it may start in the standing grappling range from the get-go, I will be unevenly matched, and it won't be knife on knife. Quick deployment of reverse grip becomes a viable tactic for real life scenario's outside of the training floor.

Now, although I respect Mr. Thompson for some of his wonderful and affordable Cold Steel products, I think he speaks a bit too "matter-of-factly" for my tastes when he writes on blade tactics. Not all these issues are as black and white as this article would want you to believe. I wouldn't expect to get the "truth" about reverse grip from any article, as in a blade encounter this issue is very subjective to the situation, need, and individual.

Just my opinions,

Paul Janulis

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally like the reverse grip.

I train with the Pick tactical Knife. the handle is made to fit the same reverse or forward.

in the reverse you can emply traps and it give you a much stronger grip when using the blade to block someone that is trying to slash you.

I am not doubting what you guys are saying this is just what I have been shown and practice. It is what is comfortable for me.

V/R
Rick English

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Advantages
Power
trapping

Disadvantages
Lack of reach
Lack of versatility
Lack of flexibility
Lack of accuracy
Lack of defense

What do you think? Agree, disagree? I think they forgot about weapon aquisition/deployment advantage (speed draw).

http://www.supervirtual.com.br/acervo/Truth%20About%20Reverse%20Grip.htm
They forgot one advantage...concealability (Element of surprise)...reverse grip conceals the knife for surprise attack. Even if your opponent has a knife, not knowing you have one can give you an advantage. Again, though, i'm of mixed feelings on the issue.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To find out where one stands on the issue, it is best to test this stuff for oneself. The best way to lab test this stuff is to spar to first blood with flexable trainers. In sparring knife vs. knife you'll find that the forward grip wins almost every time. However, if you do scenario training, you'll find plenty of scenarios where the reverse grip is the way to go.

Paul

A

AnimEdge

i would only use it in a more threating way, ya know?

Like your in a fight or whatever and you want to threaten them but yet if it becomes physical you dont want to kill them, that was it leaves it open to most basic punches and such but you can also do some damage with it as well ya know?

thats what i think :p

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, I believe that Master at Arms James Keating, a very talented knife instructor, is an advocate of the reverse grip in his draw-point series, particularly for civilian use.

Yup, but he (JAK) will chew you up and spit you out using a forward grip with his bowie work. :)

I don't buy "lack of accuracy," I don't feel any less accurate in reverse than forward. The "lack of defense" is also flawed, reverse grip can be used as a guard/armor for the weapon hand, and you can use the point to pick of incoming attacks without the dedication of required from a slash. Mr. Thompson also advocates carrying a ginormous knife, something that isn't really practical (or legal) for most of us.

Personally I prefer the saber grip for long range but use reverse when things get tight.

Lamont

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
i would only use it in a more threating way, ya know?

Like your in a fight or whatever and you want to threaten them but yet if it becomes physical you dont want to kill them, that was it leaves it open to most basic punches and such but you can also do some damage with it as well ya know?

thats what i think :p

A knife should only be deployed if lethal force is justified; even if one only intends to use the knife in a less lethal fashion, the force continum is immediately raised when a knife is introduced into the fray.

Paul

A

AnimEdge

Tulisan said:
A knife should only be deployed if lethal force is justified; even if one only intends to use the knife in a less lethal fashion, the force continum is immediately raised when a knife is introduced into the fray.

Paul
True True but i was using it as a example per se :p

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like and use both (I also use forward edge-in, and reverse edge-in)depending on the situation. They both have their place, it doesn't have to be either/or. Even in sparring/dueling I find the reverse grip usefull, primarily if my training partner is being aggressive since you can trap/hook and then move in. If you have a double edged knife it's just icing on the cake since your traps will do damage as well.

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have no preference as to grip, but there are many myths about the Reverse grip that be re-examined:

1) Lack of reach - The distance will be determined by the tactic you employ in the combat situation. Lack of reach usually is because the options taught to the student have only included short range fighting tactics. (trapping, short range reverse slashes and stabs etc) As an example in Floro Fighting System the primary grip is in the reverse position, yet I can stand at 4 - 6 feet from you and easily strike you in less than 1/2 a sec. (usually less.)

2) Lack of Versatility - Again I truely believe that being "versatile" is in the training set forth to the practitioner. If you are never exposed to many methods or manner of using a tool or weapon than you are limiting the use of the weapon.

3) Lack of Flexibility -In a reverse grip position, my hand and wrist are still offer me a good range of motion and flexibility. A method to help improve your flexibilty here could be taken from Silat, where practitioners learn to write their name in script form with the tip of the blade.

4) Lack of accuracy - Again this is a training issue. I practice in either grip to work for accuracy. I hit 8 or 9 out of 10 times a less than 2 inch target all the time. It can be done on the move, or froma stationary position, but practice is the key!

5) Lack of defense -Lack of defense against what? A particular type of attack? While holding in reverse grip you have the ability to pick off an opponent's hand with the blade, jam it, hook it, filet it on the back stroke and a host of other "defensive methods".

When carrying a fixed blade you will notice that you are ina natural position to grab for the blade in a reverse grip position. It is fast and requires no change of the wrist position in order to draw from the same side as the drawing hand. Cross draw enables a person to easily draw in the forward grip again without the change of the wrist position.

I hope this helps keep the thread moving! Great posts by all!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I generally lean toward reverse grip with a smaller blade. It feels more comfortable, and I feel like I have more control over the blade. With a larger blade (over 13" or so), I'd choose foward grip, as blades that size aren't generally made for an icepick grip, and start feeling clumsy.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
To find out where one stands on the issue, it is best to test this stuff for oneself. The best way to lab test this stuff is to spar to first blood with flexable trainers. In sparring knife vs. knife you'll find that the forward grip wins almost every time. However, if you do scenario training, you'll find plenty of scenarios where the reverse grip is the way to go.

Paul

Right on. If I'm in a sparring (dueling) situation against a trained knife person I'm more comfortable playing the largo game than trying to close using reverse grip. The only way to determine for yourself is to try it and try to close on a trained fighter. Its much easier to close on untrained people because they aren't considering the physical and tactical advantages/disadvantages of the ranges and grips.

Also as you mention, in scenario training when some jumps you "Cato style" it depends more on how you get to your knife and then you fight with it whichever way your holding it.

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I once long ago thought the reverse grip was cool. Then I took up Kali/Arnis/sword training and sparred reverse and forward grip. I no longer think it's cool, or effective for 99% of real world fights. The best way to avoid being cut is de-fanging the snake which can only be effectively done forward style.

Brother Grimm

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the most important knife you own is the one you have in your hand when you need it. That being said reverse grip gives you the quickest draw to put your knife into play when you absolutely need it. In doing senario training I have also found that not only is it quicker but it is less likely to be seen by your opponent. Just my 2 cents

T

TonyM.

I use forward grip for a knife or dagger and reverse grip for an ulu.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You could always carry 2 (or more) knives. One that is specific for standard grip and another like a Hobbit or Kerambit for reverse.

Latest Discussions