Co-operation

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying Taekwondo is bad at punches. I'm saying that Taekwondo isn't as good as Karate, boxing, or Muay Thai at punches.

However, I am saying Taekwondo is bad at ground fighting.

I am of course over-generalizing. But we spend probably 5-7 minutes of class time on punches and 20-30 minutes of class time on kicks. We mostly practice defense against haymakers, and advanced tactics in a kicks-only sparring. So when we spend 4-5x as much time on kicks as we do punches, and go into more complicated drills with kicks than punches, and spar with kicks instead of punches...that's why I think I'd need to go into an art that focuses more on the punch if I want to elevate my punching techniques.

What style of TKD do you study as ITF based (or used to be had plenty on the punching

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being good at punches is different than being good at punching range. There are more tools to use. TKD has quite a few more tools to use in this range, other than just punching. Though, I have never thought that TKD was bad at punching. (I thought they were pretty good, to be honest) TKD also has quite a few tools to use close in. Learning to use all the tools, in all the ranges that your art does have, will be better and more effective, than trying to make your own collection of various techniques from different arts.

The way your school splits its time, is the way your school splits its time. Maybe figure out why? Maybe its more competition based. Maybe they want the students to explore the close in and punching range applications on their own. It could be any number of reasons. But TKD and Hapkido, certainly cover all the ranges.... maybe not in the same way as other arts...

So, maybe "on my own" is "in a school that focuses on that."

I didn't go into my psychology classes and complain that there was a woeful lack of particle physics. I don't go into Taekwondo complaining about what it's not.

Taekwondo has punches, yes. But boxers are better at punching, if for nothing else than that they spend more time training punching.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being good at punches is different than being good at punching range. There are more tools to use. TKD has quite a few more tools to use in this range, other than just punching. Though, I have never thought that TKD was bad at punching. (I thought they were pretty good, to be honest) TKD also has quite a few tools to use close in. Learning to use all the tools, in all the ranges that your art does have, will be better and more effective, than trying to make your own collection of various techniques from different arts.

The way your school splits its time, is the way your school splits its time. Maybe figure out why? Maybe its more competition based. Maybe they want the students to explore the close in and punching range applications on their own. It could be any number of reasons. But TKD and Hapkido, certainly cover all the ranges.... maybe not in the same way as other arts...

When he is in close then his Hapkido will serve

@Sribs ....I get what you are meaning bro I do

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, maybe "on my own" is "in a school that focuses on that."

I didn't go into my psychology classes and complain that there was a woeful lack of particle physics. I don't go into Taekwondo complaining about what it's not.

Taekwondo has punches, yes. But boxers are better at punching, if for nothing else than that they spend more time training punching.

That my friend you are totally correct on ....they are the best there is at that ..I would have a real hard time against a well trained boxer lol ...but don't get to wound up your a 3rd degree now and well on the path so hang tight and look to your Hapkido and maybe Bjj or ju jutsu to compliment

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That my friend you are totally correct on ....they are the best there is at that ..I would have a real hard time against a well trained boxer lol ...but don't get to wound up your a 3rd degree now and well on the path so hang tight and look to your Hapkido and maybe Bjj or ju jutsu to compliment

Oh I'm definitely looking way down the road. Right now my plan is to get 5th degree in TKD and either 2nd or 3rd in Hapkido. We'll see how far I am into my second in the next 7 years. (I am going considerably slower in HKD than I was in TKD).

It's at that point I may decide to branch out into something more punch-oriented or ground-oriented.

To answer your question, I am at a KKW/WT school that uses an older style of curriculum.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
fat people on diets where they never loose weight irritate me. Instead of ever doing a pushup or eating a salad they will go to great lengths to rationalise what doesn't work because it is easier.

And there are plenty of people who are willing to capitalize on those fat people. And sell them all sorts of unproven junk. Yes there are different ways to loose weight. But some of those ways dont work.

And I am quite simply not here to cooperate with them. Martial arts is very similar. A few people putting in the hard yards and getting consistent results from proven methods. And a lot of people buying and selling junk.

There is no reason martial arts will automatically work. Or is automatically effective. It isn't magic.

If soccer mum wants to get out each day and paffy paff on the pads. That is fine. But we can not responsibly tell her she is equipped to fight anybody.

I have metioned this idea before. I do MMA. Imagine I put people in the ring with the same lack of care instructors put people out on the street. It would be quickly evident that I was an imoral person.

Cooperation only goes so far.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
fat people on diets where they never loose weight irritate me. Instead of ever doing a pushup or eating a salad they will go to great lengths to rationalise what doesn't work because it is easier.

And there are plenty of people who are willing to capitalize on those fat people. And sell them all sorts of unproven junk. Yes there are different ways to loose weight. But some of those ways dont work.

And I am quite simply not here to cooperate with them. Martial arts is very similar. A few people putting in the hard yards and getting consistent results from proven methods. And a lot of people buying and selling junk.

There is no reason martial arts will automatically work. Or is automatically effective. It isn't magic.

If soccer mum wants to get out each day and paffy paff on the pads. That is fine. But we can not responsibly tell her she is equipped to fight anybody.

I have metioned this idea before. I do MMA. Imagine I put people in the ring with the same lack of care instructors put people out on the street. It would be quickly evident that I was an imoral person.

That reminds me of the simpsons when Marge was in the cage lol

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh I'm definitely looking way down the road. Right now my plan is to get 5th degree in TKD and either 2nd or 3rd in Hapkido. We'll see how far I am into my second in the next 7 years. (I am going considerably slower in HKD than I was in TKD).

It's at that point I may decide to branch out into something more punch-oriented or ground-oriented.

To answer your question, I am at a KKW/WT school that uses an older style of curriculum.

Oh lol ummm well you will match me then if you get to 5th and a 3rd degree lol ..........I will stop being your friend once you go one higher lol ....you keep at it bro and you will succeed you have the will power to get there

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you're wrong. :p

Seriously, yes. I think if folks started with the understanding that the motivation for training isn't the same for everyone. In fact, it often changes over a person's life. So, what's "good training" (or even "good technique") for one purpose might not be as good for another purpose. And also we have to allow that most of us have some wrong ideas in our heads - meaning, we should accept that we come into these discussions with some concepts that are overstated, misunderstood, etc., and not attack others who don't agree. On more than one occasion, I've had a discussion of concepts turn into an attack on me and my training approach - often without an actual understanding of my training approach. Most of it was just lack of understanding of each other - me and the other folks not communicating well. There was probably also (on both sides, I expect) some irrationality from cognitive defenses.

I try not to push my ideas on others. Where they are relevant, i share them. If others don't agree, it's really not a problem for me. I'm much more interested in trying to understand where their points come from, and perhaps help them understand what the point is I'm making (whether they agree with it or not).
@Steve, what part of this did you disagree with?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You need a bigger screen/keyboard.

As do I...
I mostly post on a phone on the train, and I don’t always have reading glasses. I do my best to write in complete, coherent English, but typos get through far more often than when I’m on a keyboard.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

I almost want to give that a funny rating...but it's really not funny. I mean what the heck was that? I could tell just from the way she was standing there how it was going to end. what promoter thought that this was a good idea? But I understand fight promoters can't judge a first time fighter. The blame goes on the women for sure but someone had to convince or at least agree with her..." yeah honey , you can do this...your taebo will kick butt"

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I almost want to give that a funny rating...but it's really not funny. I mean what the heck was that? I could tell just from the way she was standing there how it was going to end. what promoter thought that this was a good idea? But I understand fight promoters can't judge a first time fighter. The blame goes on the women for sure but someone had to convince or at least agree with her..." yeah honey , you can do this...your taebo will kick butt"

One that was trying to make money I'd assume or he'd watched marge out the simpsons and thought hey good idea lol

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
One that was trying to make money I'd assume or he'd watched marge out the simpsons and thought hey good idea lol
in the first few seconds of the clip the referee was asking her a question and she shook her head no. i have a good suspicion he was asking her if she wanted to forfeit and not fight.

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in the first few seconds of the clip the referee was asking her a question and she shook her head no. i have a good suspicion he was asking her if she wanted to forfeit and not fight.

by the look on her face I think you may be right

However I do suspect that "mom" has been promised a fair amount of cash and that I would suggest might have been her motivation

That said who ever caused that to happen needs a word in the ear as ummm that mom could have well ended up in ER or worse but just my opinion

OP
N

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do my best but when I'm reading on a phone without my glasses, things get a little dicey. ;)

Solution ................put cord on glasses hang cord on neck then never without glasses .................................see full co-operation between different systems lol

Latest Discussions