Club Defense: Kenpo And Non Kenpo

Discussion in 'Kenpo / Kempo - Technical Discussion' started by MJS, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka Senior Master

Yes. The permitted intensity of the training model. Lotta kenpo out there trained at gentlemens distances, on gentlemens terms. Not one is busting out a bunch of hairy testosterone, and bull-rushing the other guy -- either the attacker, or the defender. Turn the the intensity about 80%, maintain control in spite of increased intensity, and a lot of the issues become either transparent, or self-correcting.

Miss my "whumpa-thump"... thick wooden dowel of heavy oak, dimensions of a ball bat, with several layers of towels and foam padding duct-taped to it. Then go balls to the wall. God help the guy who doesn't move well enough and fast enough, whether footwork, hands, positioning, or any combination of all of it. That think would break and arm if it caught you just right.

After lotsa kenpo, lotsa Arnis, etc., it ultimately boils down to one of the FEW things that makes me glad I point sparred a lot. Dance in; dance out; press his guard into his body and take your shot. The in-and-out lunging in point sparring, combined with the developed skills in competitive applications of pinning checks and sniping shot, methinks it's one of the best approaches to dealing with bludgeons and bats to be had. Cross between a champ point fighter, the Krav videos approach, and a mad bull elephant rushing a competitor in the bush, and were getting close to some viable approaches.

2. Doc

Doc Senior Master

You covered it pretty well. I've found in Kenpo Karate many have "techniques" they think they know, and reverse engineer the attack to fit what they want to do, instead of solve the real problem of the attack itself. That is a staple of the "Two-Guys doing Kenpo" franchise videos we see all the time. Lots of chatter, and virtually no substance.

3. Doc

Doc Senior Master

Some are confusing the light whipping rattan "sticks" for the "bludgeons" the techniques are supposed to work against.

4. Doc

Doc Senior Master

You're not Doc? Wait! Uh, never mind I need some rest.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  5. Bigdavid5.0

Bigdavid5.0 White Belt

I got hit in the back of the head by the end of a pool cue.I got mad.I always like to kick to the bladder on the first kick.It helps with this technic