Closing the doors....

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a rough day. It will be our last day of operation.

This school opened in 1987. I've been the owner since 1994. We've had a good, long run, but it's time to pull the plug. SWMBO and I plan to stay semi-active in the organization, but the day-to-day school operations end tonight. It will be very strange to turn out the lights and lock the door without turning on the alarm, and to give the key back to the landlord this weekend.

I'll still be active on the board as well. Gotta have my daily dose of MartialTalk!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Are you going to keep training somewhere else? Take up something new?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind my asking, is this a business decision, or a personal one?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Balrog, I feel your pain.
I had to close our school at the Y recently.
I don't know what led to your decision, but for me it was medical. nearly ten years ago, I was diagnosed with a rare, incurable cancer; a gastric neuroendocrine tumor. One of the things it does is cause Carcinoid Syndrome. There are treatments that help with the symptoms of the syndrome, but no cure. Life expectancy when I was diagnosed was 5 years, with a 50/50 chance. Three years ago I was diagnosed with a second type of cancer. A squamous cell tonsil cancer caused by HPV (vaccinate your kids, people... if only we'd had a vaccine when I was a kid). Between the two, I've had a number of surgeries, as well as chemo and radiation. The tonsil cancer is in remission, but the NET continues. I do monthly chemo for that.
As a result of the chemo (specifically the cisplatinum) my feet are numb. I can kick ok, but trying to do things slowly enough to teach is a non-go. And just having the ooomph to get to the school was also problematic.
So, after about 6 months of students running the school more than I did, the class was closed. I'm still saddened. I've got all the equipment stored in my garage, and an open invitation from the Y to reopen anytime, but I know the odds of that are slim.
We should start an "old retired instructor" club. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a rough day. It will be our last day of operation.

This school opened in 1987. I've been the owner since 1994. We've had a good, long run, but it's time to pull the plug. SWMBO and I plan to stay semi-active in the organization, but the day-to-day school operations end tonight. It will be very strange to turn out the lights and lock the door without turning on the alarm, and to give the key back to the landlord this weekend.

I'll still be active on the board as well. Gotta have my daily dose of MartialTalk!!
I commend you for a long run. I hope you look back on all of it with fond memories. I have been there so I fully understand being melancholy.
Martial Arts needs as much 'old timers' mentality as we can keep so I hope you do stay active on your schools/systems board. And stay active on the forum.
Much congratulations on you accomplishment.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, it is always sad to see a school or program close. I've gone through closing down businesses in the past, and had to shut down my program once (we suddenly lost our space). Had a school close once on me many years ago. None of it any fun, but sometimes it's just what's going to happen.

I hope those who had to close things down find the right next thing for themselves.

@Dirty Dog, you've got moxy, brother.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Balrog sorry to here this news, its always disapointing when a long term club ceases, best of fortune in your journey.

@Dirty Dog you sir are the definition of class and character.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am so very sorry to hear... that can't be an easy thing to have to do. So many memories, blood, sweat and tears... but remember all that happened within those four walls. The transformations, growth, learning, and for many probably a really safe space where they couldn't feel safe elsewhere. Much, much was achieved there I'm sure.

And @Dirty Dog ... also so very sorry.. especially when it's health-related reasons that halt things... I hope things improve for you

OP
Balrog

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Are you going to keep training somewhere else? Take up something new?
We brought home a bunch of stuff. I plan to turn our middle room into a mini workout area. After we sit with our feet up for a week and unwind, we'll probably start going to a school near us to help teach.

OP
Balrog

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind my asking, is this a business decision, or a personal one?
Yes.

Business in that we were running on the edge for far too long. We had a chance to sell, but the lady was not able to get her financing.

Personal in that we ain't getting any younger and teaching a full slate of classes just flat hurts.

It was just time to step back.

OP
Balrog

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I commend you for a long run. I hope you look back on all of it with fond memories. I have been there so I fully understand being melancholy.
Martial Arts needs as much 'old timers' mentality as we can keep so I hope you do stay active on your schools/systems board. And stay active on the forum.
Much congratulations on you accomplishment.
Thank you. We have always said that we help build the future, one Black Belt at a time. I looked at my inactive student list and some of our plaques and I know that we have helped touch lives in a positive manner.

OP
Balrog

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Balrog, I feel your pain.
I had to close our school at the Y recently.
I don't know what led to your decision, but for me it was medical. nearly ten years ago, I was diagnosed with a rare, incurable cancer; a gastric neuroendocrine tumor. One of the things it does is cause Carcinoid Syndrome. There are treatments that help with the symptoms of the syndrome, but no cure. Life expectancy when I was diagnosed was 5 years, with a 50/50 chance. Three years ago I was diagnosed with a second type of cancer. A squamous cell tonsil cancer caused by HPV (vaccinate your kids, people... if only we'd had a vaccine when I was a kid). Between the two, I've had a number of surgeries, as well as chemo and radiation. The tonsil cancer is in remission, but the NET continues. I do monthly chemo for that.
As a result of the chemo (specifically the cisplatinum) my feet are numb. I can kick ok, but trying to do things slowly enough to teach is a non-go. And just having the ooomph to get to the school was also problematic.
So, after about 6 months of students running the school more than I did, the class was closed. I'm still saddened. I've got all the equipment stored in my garage, and an open invitation from the Y to reopen anytime, but I know the odds of that are slim.
We should start an "old retired instructor" club. :)
Dayum! I shouldn't complain. My friend, you are the poster child for perseverance.
<bowing while typing>

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Always a tough decision to close the doors but hopefully you will find an open window somewhere. Good luck in your new endeavours.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Balrog, I feel you, brother. I opened a dojo in 83, turned it over to my black belts in 94, some of them had been training with me since the early 70’s.

They in turn passed it down. I’d always go teach when I was back East.

It closed down for good back in November. Such an odd feeling.

@Dirty Dog, I hope to someday be as strong of character as you.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Our group dwindled after an organizational split in' 07, then a few years later the instructor (at the little garage school that survived the split) had to leave the state and it fell on me to keep things going. We carried on renting space at a boxing gym until just a year ago this January when I closed the doors to public classes. I still work with a couple of guys privately and still have the old website up, but interest in Wing Chun locally has waned and I'm not getting any younger.

I still get a few calls, but nobody seems jazzed to join a semi-private group of adults taught TMA by a guy in his mid 60s. I get that. No worries ...but it looks like my days as an instructor are numbered. I guess when the inevitable happens, when my last few guys move on and I stop completely, the only real regret will be the loss of a legacy in our specific lineage, at least around here. Oh... there are other some guys out there, nice guys, but what they do is ...different. Ah well. Life is like that. All things come to an end right?

Speaking of which ...isn't the activity on this forum is getting a little slow lately too? And it seems like we regulars are all getting a little "long in the tooth". Or is it just me? :cool:

Latest Discussions