Closing the doors.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How many of you know an instructor or knows a story of an instructor who doors got closed because of unlawful acts?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing recent. Some 15 to 20 years ago there was an instructor in Woodbridge, VA who suddenly closed his school. The word around was he had an affair with a 16 y/o student, and got found out by her father. He then fled to northern mid-western state where his brother had a school. I can't vouch for any of that since I didn't know any of the people involved, but heard from a new student of his.

I think it happens periodically. Teachers and students are people, subject to all the weaknesses and foibles of non-martial artists. Teachers of any subject are in a position of power, and sometimes abuse that position. Those of us who are martial artists, it being a small community, especially who are or have been teachers, are probably more put off by such stories than others.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Similar thing in Upstate NY also around 15 years ago. An instructor was having an affair with a 16 year old student and got caught. He was charged with statutory rape and his school closed rather quickly since he was under arrest and then in court. Sadly the name of his school was very similar to another school in the area and it also hurt that schools business as well.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, there was Master John C. Kim who wound up in the slammer for tax fraud.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Husband and wife owned a school like 20 miles from here until he killed her with a sword. That was like 10 years ago.
That's kind of an odd question what makes you ask?

OP
T

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Husband and wife owned a school like 20 miles from here until he killed her with a sword. That was like 10 years ago.
That's kind of an odd question what makes you ask?

I ask because of a thread I saw about a instructor allowing a mental disturb guy getting killed in his dojo and they video taped it. I don't think the guy died but the viloence wasn't necessary. But i am sure that guy went out of business. I hope. It got me thinking of someone in my town who you guys might of heard since it made news of early this year. Martial art instructor sends ricen to the president of the US and then blames it on another person. Or maybe you havent heard. Before that incident, he was bout to lose the business because of a rumor of child molestation(spelled wrong) and once the thing happen with the president his doors shut and everyone in town told news people they didn't know him.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Almost 30 years ago my wife had signed up in a school (high pressured sales really) and then a couple of years later he closed because he had relations with a younger female student.

Then there was that case where the instructor took off with someone child and then was captured, the dad awaited them at the airport and assassinated the instructor as he walked by.

It is sad because some instructors working with kids fall prey to bad desires, such as tax evasion, unlawful relations etc. etc.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ask because of a thread I saw about a instructor allowing a mental disturb guy getting killed in his dojo and they video taped it. I don't think the guy died but the viloence wasn't necessary. But i am sure that guy went out of business. I hope. It got me thinking of someone in my town who you guys might of heard since it made news of early this year. Martial art instructor sends ricen to the president of the US and then blames it on another person. Or maybe you havent heard. Before that incident, he was bout to lose the business because of a rumor of child molestation(spelled wrong) and once the thing happen with the president his doors shut and everyone in town told news people they didn't know him.

Unfortunately, the process of evaluating a students progress and aptitude in martial arts doesn't always pay close enough attention to issues such as character. Individuals enter martial arts training for many reasons and just as in other fields; some get through who should not. And, over time, we humans tend to change. It is painful to sometimes see the events such as these in our community. Truly painful when you see it happen to someone senior to you in your art.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many of you know an instructor or knows a story of an instructor who doors got closed because of unlawful acts?

Nothing recent. There were a couple from fifteen to twenty years back that I knew for sure, plus rumors that I hears about others. All involved sex with underaged girls.

Regarding the videotape of Bobby Joe Blythe and his marine student killing a mentally challenged man, the man actually survived the beating. I say that simply because I'm glad he's not dead; Blythe, the marine, and everyone in that building should be locked up for the rest of their lives. Such people have no place in civilized society.