Clinch Pick Knife

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Although FGEU may seem odd at first, it is a simple and effective way to utilise a knife. Not common in Bowie knife work, the "mountain man" grip takes advantage of natural body mechanics to slice and rip.
Forward Grip, Edge up/in was, if not common, fairly well known and even popular with some Bowie Knife users. Apparently it was particularly popular in the South during the Civil War period where we see some example appearing of Bowie Knives with the knuckle bow oriented to the spine of the blade instead of the edge. This would be the FGEU and was apparently intended to facilitate a thrust to the body/center-line with a rip up and out.

Not sure how much actual USE this got in real fighting but it does show that the concept was fairly well known.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Forward Grip, Edge up/in was, if not common, fairly well known and even popular with some Bowie Knife users. Apparently it was particularly popular in the South during the Civil War period where we see some example appearing of Bowie Knives with the knuckle bow oriented to the spine of the blade instead of the edge. This would be the FGEU and was apparently intended to facilitate a thrust to the body/center-line with a rip up and out.

Not sure how much actual USE this got in real fighting but it does show that the concept was fairly well known.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,

Typo on my part. That should read "not uncommon in Bowie..."

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going in to a clinch is a natural human reaction. Most people do it without even thinking.[...]
Everyone clinches. In fact, most people have to be taught NOT to clinch and when it's inappropriate to do so.

That's why for me this knife is a bit limited--I would hope to try to gain distance if I had the knife, not go into the clinch, and I could play the nickel-and-dime game. If I am carrying a knife I'd rather it be one of more general applicability.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's why for me this knife is a bit limited--I would hope to try to gain distance if I had the knife, not go into the clinch, and I could play the nickel-and-dime game. If I am carrying a knife I'd rather it be one of more general applicability.

From reading southnarcs posts on some forums, the knife seems to be designed as a distance creator/ neutralizer for when you find yourself already in clinch range. IE, the bad guy getting in on you before you realize it, or you are conversing with someone who makes a move to a red zone (reaching for a concealed weapon), you close and engage to foul his draw, then go for your clinch pick. Not so much a dueling aspect with you having knives drawn at a distance. I personally like the concept as it works great in force on force training, but don't like the knife all that much. It's a great knife, don't get me wrong, but you can buy knives made with the exact same steel for literally 1/5 the price.

I like my waved spyderco endura and delica's for RGEI work. A friend of mine really like the cold steel Roach Belly for the same use.

BTW, check out Ray Floro's material for long range RGEI work. Works great.

Latest Discussions