classical jujitsu

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shinyokai said:
Walt,

Correction here.

Wado ryu founder Hironori Ohtsuka trained in Shindo Yoshin ryu with Tatsusaburo Nakayama, not Yukiyoshi Takamura. Ohtsuka included a small portion of the technical waza of Shindo Yoshin ryu into Wado ryu and that portion of the curriculum is commonly referred to as Wado ryu jujutsu kempo. The most significant jujutsu influence in Wado ryu is actually in theory, not technique.

Today the Shindo Yoshin ryu mainline is under the direction of Dr Ryozo Fujiwara, The Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu under moi.

Wado ryu has split into 3 org's. JKF Wado kai, Wado ryu Renmei, and WIKF.

Toby Threadgill / Kaicho, TSYR

I stand corrected...Totally missed this post in my email. Nice to meet you Toby...

Regards,
Walt

S

Swan

HI guys,

I think that one major difference between classical Jujutsu and the modern practice of JuJutsu is the time that we have to put into it. The original Samurai devoted almost every minute of their day to the practice and perfection of their arts. We on the other hand only have a couple hours a day a few days a week to put towards it. I don't think that Jujutsu in and of itself is outdated and that it can definately translate to todays society. I understand what AikidoCal is saying but I have to be honest, I really have my doubts that anybody is going to be throwing a sheet over a samurai from fuedal Japan and beating them with anything. I agree with the point but the fact still remains that it is not the system that would be the problem in a situation described by AikidoCal but the practitioner. Being a martial artist is more than just "I do this art or that", it is a lifestyle of constant awareness, focus, discipline, and hard work. I think a practitioner of any art could find himself being covered with a sheet and beaten if they are not aware of their surroundings. I think the point in my inscecent rambling is that JuJutsu is still a very viable art and if practiced well and often can still translate to todays situations just as easily as they did in feudal Japan.

Latest Discussions