Claims on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
The profiling guides quoted were written quite some time ago. If you yourself in them, in whole or in part, it should give you pause.
What?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by akja
RSK,
I tought you were better than that! You need to go to: http://www.philelmore.com/ and read his bio, "ITS A MUST READ."

He's a green sash and has been training since 1990 and co-founding his own style and seems to represent everything you don't, I would think that you would ATTACK him at least half as much as YOU ATTACKED ME!:D

My friend, are you sure you want to quote him:D

Based on what you've told ARK nobody is are qualified by their "hard core training" alone.;)

OH YEA. I know he's "the E-Budo, BAD Budo Buster!"
Kinda Ironic, don't ya think?

I was referring to the section on his website about “Trolls”, “Combat Posers” & “Cyber Sensei”.
All of those articles make a great deal of sense and point out with great accuracy some of the dorks on the Internet.
As for his martial arts training I never asked about it………nor do I care.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry. It should read, "If you see yourself in them..."

All the profiling guides, including that latest article, cut both ways.

Don Roley, for example, has a reputation for outing frauds and other poseurs, but I've never known him to become obsessive about it or to cross the line. By contrast, I know of one or two other Web denizens who are characterized by a rabid need to find fraudulent behavior where there really is none.

What you should ask yourself is, why did the people with whom you were arguing quote pieces of my profiling guides to you? Resist the urge to dismiss this simply as some failing on their parts. Instead, ask yourself, "Do I see myself represented in these profiles?"

Then ponder why, and what you should do about it.

No profile is definitive. Warnings are just that -- warning signs. Sometimes a windmill is just a windmill. Other times, though, it's a monster.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score

Don Roley, for example, has a reputation for outing frauds and other poseurs, but I've never known him to become obsessive about it or to cross the line. By contrast, I know of one or two other Web denizens who are characterized by a rabid need to find fraudulent behavior where there really is none.

What you should ask yourself is, why did the people with whom you were arguing quote pieces of my profiling guides to you? Resist the urge to dismiss this simply as some failing on their parts. Instead, ask yourself, "Do I see myself represented in these profiles?"

No profile is definitive. Warnings are just that -- warning signs. Sometimes a windmill is just a windmill. Other times, though, it's a monster.

Sorry, I shouldn't of "spoke" of you when I did not know you. I can be gutsy at times but they were not quoting at me, they were egging 2 other individuals.. They've been after 2 individuals for the longest time. Most of them except me and I except them. The stubburn ones jusr ignore me which is OK with me, but they keep ragging on these 2.

I have have "checked" myself quite a bit since I've been in here as well as the other forums and believe it or not, in all the forums, this one individual is the only one that ignores me.

Good luck with your school, training and you are a good/great writer and I hope to hear more from you!:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
For those of us not familiar, would you please explain what that rank means.

Seig et al,

Lakan in Modern Arnis means just Black Belt

Lakan Isa is First Degree Black Belt

Lakan Delawa is Second Degree Black Belt

Lakan Tatlo is Third Degree Black Belt

So, I have four ranks of Black in Modern Arnis, since there is a Black Belt Rank. Now, Many of those testing(ed) never did use the Lakan Rank by itself. I tell every one I am a third degree since Tatlo is three.

Lakan is the Male Title and Dayang is the equilent Female Title.

Thank You ! Jeff and the W.M.A.A., I know your guy's Stance and I Thank You. Yes there are many who recognize my rank and knowledge, yet it is not the official organization of Modern Arnis. In my opinion with the death of GM Remy Presas the organization was also over. There was no real structure(s) in place to support this tragic event. In My opinion that is.

Humble a student of Filipino Martial Arts
:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I was referring to the section on his website about “Trolls”, “Combat Posers” & “Cyber Sensei”.
All of those articles make a great deal of sense and point out with great accuracy some of the dorks on the Internet.
As for his martial arts training I never asked about it………nor do I care.

Hey, I think I cross the line to much, sorry! I think I'm entitled to be a dick once in a while:D

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by SteelShadow
I asked this one time but you may have missed it.What style do you study and what orginizations do you belong to.You seem to have quiet abit of knowledge on a wide range of arts.I am genuinly curious?

Sorry. I saw AKJA respond and thought you were talking to him...

I really do not know all that much- IMO. I have been in Japan for a good long time now and tend to learn everything I can. For example, there was a Chuan 'fa teacher straight from China that came to my little town and I took classes with him until his visa ran out and he returned home. That is kind of my philosophy- find any teacher that it good and learn what you can from them. There are seminars and such I have attended in both Japan and America- but I woud not really call that that being a student or training in a system.

(Incidently- the above Chuan 'fa teacher was an example of someone whose credentials I did not know about and did not care because would take on and beat anyone who wanted to go at it with him. I know zilch about Chinese arts, still can not tell you the name of his teacher even though I have a Japanese article on him, I just wanted the experience of working under such a qualified martial artist. And he did not spend time talking about his ability or any other claim. He just ran us through the meat grinder.)

But as I have mentioned in another section of Martialtalk, my core arts are Bujinkan, Taiji and I work out with another gaijin on Silat. In the last case we really are just proacticing stuff we have picked up and trying to keep it fresh.

In short, I have trained for longer and harsher than many self proclaimed sokes I see, and yet I feel I have a long way to go before I give up my "begginer" status. Miyamoto Musashi wrote that he did not really understand martial arts until he hit 50. Considering just how much of a terror he was by age 30, what kind of egomaniac would I have to be to call myself a master?

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don is, of course, too modest for his own good. While I've never had the pleasure of training with him or seeing him train, his advice and his various e-mails have been of great value to me over time. He knows of what he speaks and is -- if I am any judge -- a skilled and educated man.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Good way to put it, especially when I just reread Don Quixote

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe we need to issue a set of playing cards like they have for the ex-Iraqi leaders.;)

I vote SENSEII MIKE for ACE of SPADES.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
--Dave:D

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Next, dan certificates from shodan up are never done on a word processor…...as this one is...…kyu ranks are sometimes mass produced but not dan ranks. They are hand written by the instructor.
(Note the poor hand writing for the dan grade and rank. )

I think this would be true for Japanese or Okinawan systems, but what about those systems from other places around the world, where ancient traditions aren't held in such high esteem? Obviously I am talking of those systems that have stood the test of time, and have proven themselves to be valid. You know systems like American Kenpo and such like.

--Dave

:confused:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SteelShadow
I have seen where some dan tests ranged from 75.00 to 500.00dollars.My question is whats the point of paying such high fees its a rip off.If you have been studying a art for 5 10 or 20 yrs and you are testing for a high dan rank why should they charge you such a high amount.You have already proven your worth and dedication as well as your hard work.I believe the test should be given with little or no cost personaly.I mean what are you realy paying for?.You pay dues every month to train you pay for uniforms equipment and such.So your teacher or his peers have to set thru your testing.Its not worth great amounts of money just for that.If you want to honor them with a gift so be it.But paying hundreds of dollars on top of your already paying dues.And then even having to pay for the belt you earned anyway.Its just another way to line someones pocket in my oppion.My students pay monthly dues and they pay for the gi's.
But there is no charge for a rank test of any level.They earned that test they earned the right to take it.And in MHO its wrong for me to charge them for something they have already earned to begin with.I even pay for there belts.I was just wondering why so many people think its ok to pay hundreds of dollars for a test?

It would depend what you get for your money. At our school it costs about AU$800.00. For your 1st dan test. That covers your testing fee. It also pays for a rank specific gi. It pays for a REALLY nice certificate, framed and block mounted with some really cool fixtures. (Just makes it that much more special I guess), and some other stuff that I can't remember right now.
Also if you fail and only qualify for Sho Dan Ho, you don't have to pay for the next test. Mind you if you fail big time and don't qualify at all, then you are up for the testing fee again, but the rest is already paid.
--Dave

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lakan Tatlo is third degree black belt. Note, many Modern Arnis organizations use Lakan as a rank (zeroth degree black belt), followed by Lakan Isa (first degree), then Lakan, Dalawa, so Lakan Tatlo would be third degree but fourth level black belt. This is so in Mr. Parson's case (unless I'm much mistaken).

See here for more ranks.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Don Roley
If they don't care about rank, then they will never go tot he trouble of getting it in the first place. So I have troule understanding the idea that someone can claim rank and then say they do not think it is important when asked to prove it.

I can't agree with this one. Rank as such does not mean much to me, but the knowledge and level of training that goes with it does. So I have qualified to a certain level, do I say that because I don't really care if I can be called by a Dan ranking, then I shouldn't go any further?
Or do I go further because there are things I need to learn that will make my technique knowledge so much better?
If this is the case, then I need to advance my dan rankings accordingly.

--Dave

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
Note: I do not mean to imply that Kukkiwon is the ONLY recognized authority of TKD. You can be part of other legitimate federations. However, Smith's "Garage Federation" is pure crap.

I don't know about Smith's "Garage Federation", but just don't go dissin' Smythe's "Garage Federation Inc.", they're the real deal!

--Dave
:rofl: :rofl:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
This thread could be about ability if someone were to make some extravagant claim on the Internet…like “I killed a charging bear by using only my tooth brush and my internal powers of ki”…..but so far that has not really been the topic and won’t be until I see such claims.

HUH!! What a wussy. I have never needed to use my toothbrush in any of the hundreds of situations like the one above, that I have been in.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

--Dave

This post will be even funnier if you happen to know just how dentally challenged I am.:D

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by D.Cobb
I can't agree with this one. Rank as such does not mean much to me, but the knowledge and level of training that goes with it does. So I have qualified to a certain level, do I say that because I don't really care if I can be called by a Dan ranking, then I shouldn't go any further?
Or do I go further because there are things I need to learn that will make my technique knowledge so much better?

The point I was trying to make is that some of us do not believe that rank really is an important thing. So we never talk about what rank we are.

In fact, in my dojo, there is no difference in the classes between the most rank begginer and the most experienced practicioner. The instructor has several lessons going on at the same time, based on the ability of the students to understand, not on what rank they have around their waist. Since most people know each other and the teacher knows what they are weak at, there is no problem with the transferring of information. Knowledge of the student is more important than what rank he has and that comes form being around the teacher ona regular basis. As such, many people do not bother to get rank. It does not affect their training one way or another. There are no classes barred to people because they are too low in rank.

You can go through training and not get rank. And if you go to the trouble of getting rank, you are free never to mention it. But it is weird for some people to post what rank they are on the internet and when asked to prove that it is real, start to say that rank does not mean anything so the will not provide any proof of their claims.

Me, if you want to treat me like a begginer, that is fine with me. I think that even the most experienced people can usually point to something other than their own experiences to back up what they say. Not always, but a good portion of the the time.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I think this would be true for Japanese or Okinawan systems, but what about those systems from other places around the world, where ancient traditions aren't held in such high esteem? Obviously I am talking of those systems that have stood the test of time, and have proven themselves to be valid. You know systems like American Kenpo and such like.

--Dave

:confused:
I don't know exactly, but I'm pretty sure legit kenpo organizations have their own methods of preventing forgery, fraud, etc. Word processed? Maybe for something like a certain mark in the color belts, but for high dan ranks, I could see people taking measures on how to protect their name.

OP
K

Kirk

This post will be even funnier if you happen to know just how dentally challenged I am.:D

You're Austrailian ... we know :p

Status
Not open for further replies.