Chun Kuk Do

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not sure I agree with the forms-as-homework approach. You need supervision and feedback to be doing forms properly, and that means an instructor watching you. Just doing them on your own without frequent instruction and feedback, and you easily could be reinforcing bad practice instead of reinforcing good practice. That's not to say you can't do them on your own, just like you can shadow-box on your own or do repeated slow-motion kicks to work on technique and conditioning on your own...but with all of this stuff, I feel you should also be doing it at practice to get feedback and correction from a live instructor.

Personally, I see two ways in which they tie into my training:

I agree, although they do say they can ask for advice. My issue is people knowing WHEN to ask for it.

(1) As an abstraction of fundamental techniques and mechanics, like performing scales while learning to play a guitar. You're not actually going to play scales when you're playing a song, and songs in practice don't look or feel like a scales-exercise, but nevertheless, learning and practicing those scales can still be helpful in terms of "practical guitar" because of the fundamental underpinnings reinforced.

(2) As a performance art that's an end in and of itself, instead of a means to another end. Absolutely nothing wrong with learning a performance art that showcases precision, explosiveness, and agility so long as you understand that, on its own, it's a pretty time-inefficient method of building practical fighting skill compared to padwork and sparring and the like.

There's been a lot of comparing forms to music today.

Latest Discussions