Christmas thread, now that its december.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Question: Do you think its all right to tell kids there's a santa claus?

MY parents never told my bro and me there was. Because my parents thought Something weird about you don't want kids to tell lies and then you go and lie to them. I grew up believing that too. and still think that way.

What do you think about it?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I can't actually remember a time when I thought there was a Santa Claus, my earliest memory of Christmas is "sleeping" in my room with my sister and my cousin watching feet pass our door, and knowing that it was my parents bringing out the presents from their room.

I have a four year old and was pretty conflicted with the whole issue, but when he asked how reindeer could fly, I told him that it was "just pretend."

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never believed in Santa for an instant, as a kid growing up Santa was just somethign on the TV in the American shows and movies.

Growing up in Jamaica (or India) with a Hindu father and Christian mother Santa just didn't come up at all. In Jamaica it's tradition for the parents to go shopping on Christmas eve, it was called "Grand Market" so we were all well aware of our parents stepping out that night and being watched by the grandparents.

Our houses didn't have chimneys, there was no snow around for a sled and a fat guy lurking around would most likley get eaten by one of the dogs. But Christmas is my favorite holiday and it's celebrated in such different and beautiful ways around the world. In Jamaica it's grand fairs in every parish (kinda like the state fairs here) with agricultural shows, concerts, gifts, it's like a month long party. The big thing is that at x-mas we could buy fireworks so for about a month dogs hide under cars.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't actually remember a time when I thought there was a Santa Claus, my earliest memory of Christmas is "sleeping" in my room with my sister and my cousin watching feet pass our door, and knowing that it was my parents bringing out the presents from their room.

I have a four year old and was pretty conflicted with the whole issue, but when he asked how reindeer could fly, I told him that it was "just pretend."

Party Poopers

We have so little mystique and magic left in our lives. The few years with Santa won't hurt nothing.

You usually don't have to tell the kids that rein deer can't fly or Santa is not real. They figure it out soon enough, and they also won't think they were lied to.

It's part of the magic of Christmas.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/averroes/vertie/motivadores/dearvir0.htm

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Question: Do you think its all right to tell kids there's a santa claus?
I told my kids all kinds of harmless lies to make their lives more tolerable like:

I love you;

You can become anything you want if you study and apply yourself--even president of the US.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it at all. IMO, we're too quick these days to deny our children a childhood.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I told my kids all kinds of harmless lies to make their lives more tolerable like:

I love you;

You can become anything you want if you study and apply yourself--even president of the US.

:lol: meany! :lol:

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can remember questioning my parents about Santa Claus, and them explaining that he represented the spirit of Christmas (in the selfless giving to your loved ones and others), and that in this guise, they were Santa's helpers.

If confronted by my kids or asked outright, that's as good an answer as any I've heard.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was allowed to believe in Santa Claus, until it was apparent, on my own, that it was fantasy. These were some of the best times of my life. Kids will learn soon enough about the harsh realities of the world, let kids be kids.
icon7.gif

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I didn't find out that Santa was really Mom and Dad until I was 6 ... maybe 7.

I feel sorry for kids today whose parents feel the urge to be completely honest with them and crush their belief in the magical things in life.

Life's to farkin hard when you grow up, let them enjoy it while they can.

Latest Discussions