christian disrespect!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I am a LaVeyan Satanist, and I have no problem holding hands with my grandma and blessing our meal. I think people need to back off and allow a person freedom of religion. However, if you are in a situation where you might offend someone, just try to say it in your head. People get a little crazy when it comes to religion, and its best to avoid those types of situations if possible. Its just not worth it.
I have no problem going to Christain church, I love to learn new things. But I'm not going to bust out a HAIL SATAN in the middle of prayer (LOL).

LOL! Very, very, very well said.

The key is tolerance. Try to be tolerant of others sensitivities, encourage them to be tolerant of yours.

I'm Sikh, and my faith is not that well known in the States. I will sometimes slip in and out of meditation (the religious kind) in class, especially if I'm in pain or if I'm trying to focus my thoughts.

While I don't think EPAK is an art with pronounced spiritual roots, MA is a very spiritual experience for me. I'm learning how to reduce my ego more, how to better appreciate and respect those with differrent or unfamiliar abilities. I'm learning how deeply I can trust and respect someone when sparring with a BB trying to toughen me up.

Savage, I can certainly understand how you are moved to genuflect and pray, for I am also moved to praise the Almighty in my own way during class. Our faith is part of who we are, but it is also an intimate part of who we are. Guard it wisely.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
first, i disagree with your teacher's reasoning but not necessarily his stance.

i see no disrespect in making the sign of the cross as you finish your prayer.

on the other hand, meditation is not a prayer to buddha. well, not the sort of meditation you're being asked to participate in. meditation is simply a clearing of the mind and a readying of yourself for what is to come.

if you're uncomfortable with the idea of meditation, i would submit that meditation is quite common in christianity, especially catholocism. the rosary, labrynth prayers and the our fathers/hail marys said after confession can also be meditation. prayer vigils are often meditation. in many cases, the meditation is more similar to the 'mantra' associated with yoga practice than the zazen common to martial arts practice.

i'm impressed that you take your faith seriously enough to guard against inimical influences. imo, you are limiting yourself and impeding your development as a martial artist by not allowing yourself to experience meditation. perhaps you could speak with some of your advisors in the church about this and see what they suggest.

Latest Discussions