Chow interview

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
So would that be Jacob Goetz and Brian Peladeau?

You are correct. I believe Jacob Goetz and Brian Peladeau are the only black belts that have been students under both Grandmaster Bill Chun Sr. and Master Bill Chun Jr. Actually, there's another student who started with Sr. and has trained some with Jr. but has not reached black belt rank....let me not forget that Master Wilfred Peladeau (Sr.'s first blackbelt) has also trained with Master Chun (Jr.).

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a Chun (Sr. and Jr.) student and he(sr.) told me that the only system he learned before meeting the Professor was boxing. What other system is this that you are referring to? For the most part what you are saying is true, however, regarding the form Honsuki. This form was taught from Chow by Chun and he said it was Kempo. Those were his direct words to me. It was a special form and it is much different than the version taught on the East coast. Would love to see the tournament footage.

thanks,
Jacob

Without digging thru my notes I can't recall who it was that told me that GM Chun Sr. had previous training prior to joining Prof. Chow's school.
I can say that it wasn't Sijo Emperado, since he told me that he didn't know GM Chun when he lived in Hawaii.
Right now the only other people I can remember talking to about GM Chun would be GM Kuoha and your father. But I'm sure Master Peladeau or GM Chun Jr. would know more about GM Chun Sr. then most. So if they said his previous training was in boxing, then that's probably what it was.

JakeG

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I guess we are two lucky guys.

take care,
Jake

JakeG

White Belt
Reaction score
You are correct. I believe Jacob Goetz and Brian Peladeau are the only black belts that have been students under both Grandmaster Bill Chun Sr. and Master Bill Chun Jr. Actually, there's another student who started with Sr. and has trained some with Jr. but has not reached black belt rank....let me not forget that Master Wilfred Peladeau (Sr.'s first blackbelt) has also trained with Master Chun (Jr.).

That man is in a class of his own. Well, I don't know how to explain it, but Master Peladeau is definitely a living treasure. Like a time capsule of what Kenpo was when Bill Chun Sr. came to California and began teaching. A part of our history/training many would say alot of the offshoots and styles are missing today. If you ever get a chance to train with him, I definitely recommend it. You will see how simple yet effective the art really is, and he has some great "sea stories" as well.

Jake

JakeG

White Belt
Reaction score
Without digging thru my notes I can't recall who it was that told me that GM Chun Sr. had previous training prior to joining Prof. Chow's school.
I can say that it wasn't Sijo Emperado, since he told me that he didn't know GM Chun when he lived in Hawaii.
Right now the only other people I can remember talking to about GM Chun would be GM Kuoha and your father. But I'm sure Master Peladeau or GM Chun Jr. would know more about GM Chun Sr. then most. So if they said his previous training was in boxing, then that's probably what it was.

I just dug through my own notes. GM Chun Sr. had about 3-6 months training in Goju, TKD and Boxing during his 3 yrs. in the Army. He began training with Prof. Chow in 1951 and received his blackbelt in 1960 before moving to the mainland.

Jacob

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
...Master Peladeau is definitely a living treasure...
You're so right! Master Peladeau is awesome. At his age (sixty something I guess), he'll still make anyone flinch (especially me) with his snaps... I have so much respect for him. (I remember seeing a "young" Master Peladeau in an old picture with Professor Chow...must have been when Professor Chow was visiting Grandmaster Chun Sr.)

Take care Jacob

Johnny

The Perk

White Belt
Reaction score
Aloha,
This is Jim Perkins, author of the Blackbelt Mag piece on Professor Chow. I've written dozens and dozens of Marial Arts articles and columns for many publications and have taught for many years. I'm glad so many of you are keeping the Professors memory alive by talking about the piece.

To those who try and chime in as to how authentic it is, help yourself. Sam Kuoha has written on this site about what he thought was true and untrue about this piece, which I found humorous. I guess he doesn't remember calling me when the Professor died and telling me to stop sending money to Patsy Chow, Professor's wife. (I sent money to the Professor and Patsy often) He said he had several photos of me that the Professor had and several of my letters and asked me to write and sign a sworn affadavit that stated the Professor had wanted him (Sam) to take over the system when he died. I told him I couldn't do that because that's not what the Professor told me. He may have felt that way, but Jacob was the one he told me SHOULD take over the system as he had trained him for 20 years, since he was a boy.
He asked me a couple times to do it during that conversation, but I refused. I also find it offensive that he would talk about Sensei Alo the way he did in a durogatory manner. He was a good man, martial artist and teacher. May he rest in peace!
I have nothing against Sam Kuoha and I'm glad he is passing the art on. I just resent the fact that he claims to know that the Professor would have or would not have told me certain things. I wrote in that article from my notes made thast evening. Many, many other memories I could have written about, but were not as clear, so I left them out.
Also, Sam wrote that the Prof. called him about "questions I was asking and told him not to sign anything", I was there as a student to learn, but was more of a friend. I was not a writer until many years later. What I teach now is not the Professor's art, but I have always tried to duplicate some of his traning methods and his passion in teaching.

SO believe what you would like to, but most importantly, stay passionate about your art and never stop learning.

Aloha Nui
Jim Perkins
6th Degree
Keokin Kenpo

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aloha,
This is Jim Perkins, author of the Blackbelt Mag piece on Professor Chow. I've written dozens and dozens of Marial Arts articles and columns for many publications and have taught for many years. I'm glad so many of you are keeping the Professors memory alive by talking about the piece.

To those who try and chime in as to how authentic it is, help yourself. Sam Kuoha has written on this site about what he thought was true and untrue about this piece, which I found humorous. I guess he doesn't remember calling me when the Professor died and telling me to stop sending money to Patsy Chow, Professor's wife. (I sent money to the Professor and Patsy often) He said he had several photos of me that the Professor had and several of my letters and asked me to write and sign a sworn affadavit that stated the Professor had wanted him (Sam) to take over the system when he died. I told him I couldn't do that because that's not what the Professor told me. He may have felt that way, but Jacob was the one he told me SHOULD take over the system as he had trained him for 20 years, since he was a boy.
He asked me a couple times to do it during that conversation, but I refused. I also find it offensive that he would talk about Sensei Alo the way he did in a durogatory manner. He was a good man, martial artist and teacher. May he rest in peace!
I have nothing against Sam Kuoha and I'm glad he is passing the art on. I just resent the fact that he claims to know that the Professor would have or would not have told me certain things. I wrote in that article from my notes made thast evening. Many, many other memories I could have written about, but were not as clear, so I left them out.
Also, Sam wrote that the Prof. called him about "questions I was asking and told him not to sign anything", I was there as a student to learn, but was more of a friend. I was not a writer until many years later. What I teach now is not the Professor's art, but I have always tried to duplicate some of his traning methods and his passion in teaching.

SO believe what you would like to, but most importantly, stay passionate about your art and never stop learning.

Aloha Nui
Jim Perkins
6th Degree
Keokin Kenpo

Mr. Perkins, although we have never met, I have heard your name on many occasions and always in a positive light. That is why I started this thread. I too knew Alo personally here on the mainland, and I agree with you completely.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aloha,

Aloha Nui
Jim Perkins
6th Degree
Keokin Kenpo

Do you remember Jacob's last name and if he is still active?

The Perk

White Belt
Reaction score
Ron, glad you posted originally and glad to hear from you. I am familiar with your name as well and it's always mentioned with admiration. I'm also glad you knew and felt kindly towards Sensei Alo. I have not kept up much with Kenpo on line, but I'm glad to see so many great Kenpo artist are interested in the Professor. He was one of a kind and I wrote the piece to honor his memory and let people know about the real Professor, quirkyness and all. Most of the artilces that I had read before my BB piece were about other martial artist talking about themselves, but always throwing in the Professor's name to bolster their position in the MA's world. I just thought he deserved to be showcased and remembered as the one-of-a-kind, type of man that he was. I have many other fond and funny memories of him that I may write about someday. Take care!
The Thunderbolt lives!

Aloha Nui,
Jim Perkins

The Perk

White Belt
Reaction score
Danjo,
I don't remember his last name, he was a fireman for the city of Pearl, I think. He was 28 or 29 at that time, Hawaiian or Island heritage, as was Walter. He wore a Kung Fu uniform and was horter but very strong and powerful, much like the Professor. Don't know if he is still active, never spoke with him after I left. Spoke with Walter a couple times on the phone after I moved back to the mainland, but no contact with him since the Professor died. Happy to answer any questions I have knowledge of.

Aloha Nui,
Jim Perkins

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo,
I don't remember his last name, he was a fireman for the city of Pearl, I think. He was 28 or 29 at that time, Hawaiian or Island heritage, as was Walter. He wore a Kung Fu uniform and was horter but very strong and powerful, much like the Professor. Don't know if he is still active, never spoke with him after I left. Spoke with Walter a couple times on the phone after I moved back to the mainland, but no contact with him since the Professor died. Happy to answer any questions I have knowledge of.

Aloha Nui,
Jim Perkins

Thank you for the information.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ron, glad you posted originally and glad to hear from you. I am familiar with your name as well and it's always mentioned with admiration. I'm also glad you knew and felt kindly towards Sensei Alo. I have not kept up much with Kenpo on line, but I'm glad to see so many great Kenpo artist are interested in the Professor. He was one of a kind and I wrote the piece to honor his memory and let people know about the real Professor, quirkyness and all. Most of the artilces that I had read before my BB piece were about other martial artist talking about themselves, but always throwing in the Professor's name to bolster their position in the MA's world. I just thought he deserved to be showcased and remembered as the one-of-a-kind, type of man that he was. I have many other fond and funny memories of him that I may write about someday. Take care!
The Thunderbolt lives!

Aloha Nui,
Jim Perkins
Ron Alo was a fixture in Southern California in the golden era of tournaments and camaraderie among martial artists before the politics set in. He was always a soft spoken gentleman and a class act.

People today seemed to be polarized in that they seem to want to claim Mitose as the progenitor and as "Chow's teacher." Parker dismissed that as "rediculous." Despite their differences, Parker never forgot where he came from and whom gave him his start, and always made a point to say so.

Parker always said that he felt Kwai Sun had been burned by Mitose and became distrustful of people as a result. He attributed this experience as the reason Chow was reluctant to join him when Parker tried to bring him to the mainland. He would have been wholly dependent on others and he wasn't comfortable with that prospect. The "Professor" has always been a controversial character, but no one ever suggested that he wasn't capable of backing up every bit of what he had to say, whether you liked it or not. Parker often described Chow as "fearless." Parker was quoted in an interview as saying, "Mitose showed me nothing, but Chow was truly an impressive man."

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
...I guess he doesn't remember calling me when the Professor died and telling me to stop sending money to Patsy Chow, Professor's wife. (I sent money to the Professor and Patsy often) He said he had several photos of me that the Professor had and several of my letters and asked me to write and sign a sworn affadavit that stated the Professor had wanted him (Sam) to take over the system when he died. I told him I couldn't do that because that's not what the Professor told me...

....interesting...

youngbraveheart

Green Belt
Reaction score
...In this article, I don't know who this Jim Perkins is, but he never says he trained with Professor Chow and in fact I remember at that time, Professor calling me by phone and telling me that some guy under Alo was there asking him all kinds of questions and what should he do. I told him to contact Dr. Perry and do not talk to this guy or do not sign anything or teach him anything. This can be verified through Dr. Perry as he knows everything and everybody that went to visit Professor and for what reason. I later spoke to Professor and I remember him telling me that he didn't sign nothing and didn't say too much to him, which showed in this very short...concise so...called lost interview. Evidently his memory is not so good as he states he went home and tried to remember what he had been told so I think more then a few of his memory brain cells have lapsed...

Okay, sooooo..we have some controversy...it is very interesting!

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a martial arts journalist and book author who has written around 70 articles for 10 differant magazines in 3 countries, I have done dozens of interviews and cover stories. So I know one of the most important things to a magazine is timeliness.
So I just gotta ask. Why did you wait 20 years to submit this interview for publication? Especially a interview of someone like Prof. Chow.
I can probably count on one hand the numbers of articles written about him (two being by me), and don't think there has ever been a interview of him published before yours.

The Perk

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi John,
I also have written dozens of pieces for MA magazines, had my own columns and written for many other types of publications as well as a couple books. I admire all your stuff, by the way!!
I didn't start writing for the MA magz until the mid nineties and I didn't go there to write about him. I went there to Learn Kara Ho, but ended up becoming a friend of a legend instead. I wrote the piece after getting upset, once again, with another piece about a big shot who used the Professor's name to tout their own credibilty.
That's why I wrote it when I did. I didn't want to feel that I was writing about him to bolster my own rep. I hadn't seen anything about him in years except people who name dropped. That's what I can tell you as to the timing. Hope that makes sense...sensei. (sorry, bad pun)
Aloha,
Jim Perkins

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi John,
I also have written dozens of pieces for MA magazines, had my own columns and written for many other types of publications as well as a couple books. I admire all your stuff, by the way!!
I didn't start writing for the MA magz until the mid nineties and I didn't go there to write about him. I went there to Learn Kara Ho, but ended up becoming a friend of a legend instead. I wrote the piece after getting upset, once again, with another piece about a big shot who used the Professor's name to tout their own credibilty.
That's why I wrote it when I did. I didn't want to feel that I was writing about him to bolster my own rep. I hadn't seen anything about him in years except people who name dropped. That's what I can tell you as to the timing. Hope that makes sense...sensei. (sorry, bad pun)
Aloha,
Jim Perkins

OK. Thanks for the clarification. Just curious, since it was very rare to have any writings about Prof. Chow.
We were just discussing him on another forum last week, and the only written book referance to him we could find other then SGM Parker's books was James Yimm Lee's 1962 book. So to have a actual interview with him suitable for publication would be a great prize.
So I guess it's better late then never.

GSJKCK

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you remember Jacob's last name and if he is still active?

I know this is an old post but I don't think anyone has answered this question. The Jacob mentioned in the article has recently thanked Master Chun for his dedication to the Professa's Kempo and the Plaque at the YMCA in Hawaii. You can read about a recent visit on our website in the news\events page. http://www.chinesekempo.org/news.htm

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I don't think anyone has answered this question. The Jacob mentioned in the article has recently thanked Master Chun for his dedication to the Professa's Kempo and the Plaque at the YMCA in Hawaii. You can read about a recent visit on our website in the news\events page. http://www.chinesekempo.org/news.htm

Brian (see I didn't even call you "Rob" like I did in the earlier email---sorry), thanks for the information and link.

Latest Discussions