Chinese Duan Wei grading system

quanfa88

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Duan Wei grading system used in mainland China?
It looks good on the surface, but I don't have experience with it.
Is it basically legitimate, or is it an "old boys" club that promotes based on connections over ability? Is it just a cash cow for the Chinese Wushu Association?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure it has a lot to do with money and control for the Chinese government.

Honestly, if you are not in china it seems like something to be ignored. The only reason to not ignore it in china is because over there, they call the shots.

OP
Q

quanfa88

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure it has a lot to do with money and control for the Chinese government.

Honestly, if you are not in china it seems like something to be ignored. The only reason to not ignore it in china is because over there, they call the shots.

Thanks for your reply.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Duan Wei grading system, as stated already, was imposed by the PRC. As far as I can tell some of the older guys (Think Chen 19th generation) in it are not in it by choice, and were granted rank by the PRC and it is not wise to refuse such things if you want your family style to flourish in and out of mainland China.

However there are many younger CMAist who take it seriously and there are certain things required for each rank, but for the most part, many of the "Traditional" CMA people in mainland do not take it seriously. It is however big in modern Wushu. And it is a great sales pitch for westerners who love ranking systems.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Duan Wei grading system used in mainland China?
It looks good on the surface, but I don't have experience with it.
Is it basically legitimate, or is it an "old boys" club that promotes based on connections over ability? Is it just a cash cow for the Chinese Wushu Association?
On a similar note, the World Kwoshu federation also confers Duan ranks for Sifus.

OP
Q

quanfa88

White Belt
Reaction score
Duan Wei grading system, as stated already, was imposed by the PRC. As far as I can tell some of the older guys (Think Chen 19th generation) in it are not in it by choice, and were granted rank by the PRC and it is not wise to refuse such things if you want your family style to flourish in and out of mainland China.

However there are many younger CMAist who take it seriously and there are certain things required for each rank, but for the most part, many of the "Traditional" CMA people in mainland do not take it seriously. It is however big in modern Wushu. And it is a great sales pitch for westerners who love ranking systems.
Thanks as well.

Latest Discussions