Chinese Amry Sword Form

TrafficLights

White Belt
Reaction score
When I studied kempo in the early 2000's I learned a weapon form for the Chinese army sword. It was similar to this:
but had a crawl on the ground bit that I've never seen since. Its driving me nuts that I can't find the same form I did. Is this familiar to anyone else?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Chinese military sword within the last 100 years a Da Dao, Other Chinese "swords" as we call them would be a Jian and various shorter types of Dao but that is none of those,

Stop looking for a sword form and look for a guandao (kwan dao) form. Another thing to consider, as far as I know, the Guandao has not been a Chinese military weapon since the Qing Dynasty (1644 to 1912) and I doubt it was used much, if at all, by the Chinese military in the later Qing. It was used during the Ming (1368 to 1644)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TrafficLights, Sorry I can't help you But just wanted to say welcome to the forum

OP
T

TrafficLights

White Belt
Reaction score
We always called it army sword, or sometimes horse cutting sword; jian we called straight sword. Searching for pu dao brings up the most similar weapon to what I had (sadly I had to get rid of both my army sword and straight sword a few years ago after a cross country move). The rationale, I was told, for the crawling on the ground bit was you had like killed a horse, and it fell on you, and you were crawling out from underneath the corpse?

Whatever name I search under, I can find two different forms. A wushu form that is very different from what I knew, and the one above which is similar in style but lacks certain moves that I remember.