China Turns Executions Into "Reality TV"

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Article: http://gawker.com/5988055/china-turns-prisoner-executions-into-reality-tv

China broadcast the final moments of four foreign drug traffickers yesterday, right before they were put to death by lethal injection for the 2011 killings of 13 Chinese fisherman.

Interesting...

I've often wondered if public executions were brought back in today's age of mass media if it would have any impact on crime.

I also found one person's comment on the story amusing. "Dr. Teeth" posted that this proves why China will never be our [the US] economic overlard saying, "The fact that your first instinct wasn't to monetize this through pay-per-view subscriptions betrays a fundamental incapacity fully to grasp the implications of free market capitalism."

Based on what I've observed of human nature in our culture... I'd say something like this would probably be quite profitable for the State.

Thoughts?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
George Carlin did a bit on this. Pay Per View at $30 a house we'd clear death rows nation wide and go a long way towards solvency in government.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't stop crime though and don't forget the Chinese authorities sell the organs of the executed.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you are right. We had a thread on "The Raid" a while back. I only went because my son invited me and I didn't enjoy the incessant violence. The fact that everyone else on MT either loved it or couldn't wait to see it supports you position totally. As a spectacle though, lethal injection just doesn't fit the bill for pay per view. Bring back the guillotine! :asian:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess the lethal injextion because it's foreigner...

I thought the gun was the prefered method in China, billing the family for the bullet.....(oh, yeah, and then selling the kidneys...)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you are right. We had a thread on "The Raid" a while back. I only went because my son invited me and I didn't enjoy the incessant violence. The fact that everyone else on MT either loved it or couldn't wait to see it supports you position totally. As a spectacle though, lethal injection just doesn't fit the bill for pay per view. Bring back the guillotine! :asian:
Lethal injection would be great TV if they injected lead slugs, from multiple directions.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lethal injection would be great TV if they injected lead slugs, from multiple directions.
Nah! Not in the same league. Close your eyes and imagine the sound of the blade dropping, the thump as it reaches the bottom. A spray of blood that turns the air pink as the head rolls into the basket. The camera zooms in to show the open, starring eyes with the fluttering eyelids, the trembling lips trying to form one last word. Then the spreading red stain as the body drains its life blood.

Man, I could have been a film director! :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Chinese government has been doing similar things for years, especially in smaller towns and villages. Parades a criminal into a room full of people tell them what the guy did. Tell them if they do what he did they will kill them too. Then take the guy out in a truck to the middle of nowhere and shoot him in the head... seen the films myself actually and it is rather cold and more than a bit horrifying.

Latest Discussions