Chil Sung Forms.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I do still practice the Chil Sungs I did learn, even though they aren't taught in my new school. Ill Ro has always been my favorite form to do, mostly because I have a lot of stress in my life, and the extensive breathing in it helps me with that. Ee Ro I practice on rare occasions, but I still do it.

I no longer practice the chil sung forms. I have three tai chi forms that I practice in order to get the benefits of slow breathing and chi work.

The Chil Sung forms I learned were always my favorite of all the forms I learned (with the possible exception of Pyung Ahn O Dan) and I believe they should be taught.

The chil sung forms are cool forms, when practiced correctly. In my conception of TSD, however, they didn't fit. We had been practicing them how I was taught, but how I was taught was wrong because many changes had been made. Dropping them was a move to preserve the integrity of my art. I no longer even practice them, preferring to focus on the Okinawan and Japanese forms.

However, I would encourage you to keep practicing the chil sung forms and forming your own ideas regarding them. Keep sharing and you'll teach me a thing or two.

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
I no longer practice the chil sung forms. I have three tai chi forms that I practice in order to get the benefits of slow breathing and chi work.

The chil sung forms are cool forms, when practiced correctly. In my conception of TSD, however, they didn't fit. We had been practicing them how I was taught, but how I was taught was wrong because many changes had been made. Dropping them was a move to preserve the integrity of my art. I no longer even practice them, preferring to focus on the Okinawan and Japanese forms.

However, I would encourage you to keep practicing the chil sung forms and forming your own ideas regarding them. Keep sharing and you'll teach me a thing or two.

Yeah, I've been looking at tai chi. I have a friend who started it and she says it really helps with breathing

Hmmm... I suppose that makes sense. There are different forms of forms, so any or all of them COULD be wrong, even just by tweaking it a bit to use in your class.

I've been steadily working on everything I know, from each of my schools. Seeing both viewpoints is really interesting, especially all of my new Ill soo shik/ho sin sul.

Gi1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Chil Sun Hyung Set, is the newest set,(beside Yuk Ro & Ship Pal ) Grand Master Hwang Kee created them in the 50's released them officially in the 80's?
Many of the older breakaway organizations do not do them. Some have adopted them, badly, not the way GM Hwang Kee wanted them done at all. Some claim to do them the way they should be done, but if GM Hwang Kee performed them a certain way, that is the way they should be done, period. GM HC Hwang has made some changes, still not the way GM Hwang Kee intended them to be. Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan does them the original way GM Hwang Kee intended, as far as I know, TSDMGK is one of the only orgs to do ALL the TSD Sylibus. Of course I am bias LOL

TANG SOO!
b
I agree, only we do them all (UK TSDF MDK)

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know the first three Chil Sung forms, and I am a big fan of them (even though Chil Sung ee Lo is more or less just a Pyung Ahn form if you look at it). Most of the tournaments that I go to will not allow you to perform them in competition and my school never tests you on them, so we just do them as an added bonus, I guess.

There is one tournament held every year in May that allows us to use them in competition though, so that's pretty cool.

The one master in my school does them the correct way! He is a student of the Chil Sung forms and they are unbelievable to watch when he performs them. But neither of my masters know the 7th one very well, so I doubt I will ever learn that one....

But hey, six is cool, because they are beautiful, fluent forms! I love em!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know the first three Chil Sung forms, and I am a big fan of them (even though Chil Sung ee Lo is more or less just a Pyung Ahn form if you look at it). Most of the tournaments that I go to will not allow you to perform them in competition and my school never tests you on them, so we just do them as an added bonus, I guess.

There is one tournament held every year in May that allows us to use them in competition though, so that's pretty cool.

The one master in my school does them the correct way! He is a student of the Chil Sung forms and they are unbelievable to watch when he performs them. But neither of my masters know the 7th one very well, so I doubt I will ever learn that one....

But hey, six is cool, because they are beautiful, fluent forms! I love em!

They do well in the open tournament circuit in my part of the woods. I think part of it is because they're somewhat rare, and the novelty appeals to judges. Heck, I'll admit to being a little bored the last time I judged a [big] teenage dan division and basically all I saw was Bassai, Koryo, Chung Mu performed.

Latest Discussions