Chi Saou

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by pvwingchun
This is interesting to me. Those of you who do not do Wing Chun how do you do your Chi Sau. Is it two handed rolling WC Chi Sau or is it done differently....? Is it just sticky hand drills? How does the footwork work? Are you doing just freestyle Chi Sau or are there forms and drills to it?

Chi sau is our way of connecting forms to fighting. The footwork includes all of our stances, shifting from stance to stance. We start out with one hand connected but as you progress you start with both hands. Its very fluid and we start people off going ridiculously slow. In mantis there are allot of grabs and traps as well.

Originally posted by arnisador
This is an interesting question. I wonder what the history of this training technique is?

From what I understand it has its roots in Taiji push hands. But thats about as far as my knowledge of it goes.

7sm

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
KunTao Silat has a very strong chi sao component from the KunTao arts inherent in the system. It is not nearly as rigid as the other styles of chi sao I've witnessed. It is a "free-flow" method of chi sao that is very aggressive and teaches the practitioners to find openings or create openings in an oppoenents defenses, as well as kinesthetic awareness of yourself and someone else, of course.

During the chi sao, at later levels, any technique is used during the drill including elbows, knees, kicks, shin and forearm smashes, chin-na, takedowns, sweeps, etc.

It's especially fun doing chi sao with knives.