Chest up vs sunken chest

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tell students to stand straight and naturally and don't "stick the butt out." The whole idea of "locking in" the pelvis is wrong IMHO. It should "float" in order to generate good "whipping" power up the spine.
If you are properly relaxed though it's not locked. Ultimately it's no different than just keeping you back straight or any other portion of any stance. I think "don't stick your but out" vs "tuck in the tail bone" may just be a matter of semantics. If you tuck the tailbone in correctly you can't even really see it's been done unless you are really looking for it.

Reactions: KPM

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use my laptop too much so I naturally put my head to far forward which is no good. Id say modern times has ruined all of our kung fu posture lol
And that is obviously not exclusive to kung fu. I catch myself in a "gamer's slouch" doing NGA. I have pictures of me doing it. I have a wife who occasionally tells me I'm doing it. I should probably stop doing it.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yip Chun has a pretty straight back here. Samuel Kwok is slouching a bit, but then being so much taller might have something to do with it. I took a seminar with him last year and Sifu Kwok seemed to have pretty straight posture then.

Sometimes I think people assume a more round-shouldered position when doing Chi-Sau in an effort to cover centerline. I personally don't believe that's helpful.
---------------------------------------------------------
Ability to observe well varies and video watching can result in many mistaken inferences. Picture of Bruce Lee's static chisao pose
with ip man has his shoulders wrongly up.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use a boxing stance - round my shoulders a little bit and tuck my chin. Why?

Pros -
I present a harder target to hit
I can generate more punching/hand striking power

Cons -
I can't kick nearly as well
* I'm not a good kicker in any stance I take, so why fight nature? Being 5'8 with a 29" inseam is going to keep me from being a prolific head kicker no matter what I do. I refused to believe this when I was in my 20s; at 40 I've moved on. I've adapted my stance and kicking mechanics to be able to roundhouse thighs quite well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DB is spot on with this. Pick a variety that suits your needs. I can't hold poses well - I'm too inflexible to relax into many of them - so I do a Vinyasa flow, which is more dynamic. I might improve if I did a style that held poses, but I'd be really sore for a while and unable to keep up with my MA.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DB is spot on with this. Pick a variety that suits your needs. I can't hold poses well - I'm too inflexible to relax into many of them - so I do a Vinyasa flow, which is more dynamic. I might improve if I did a style that held poses, but I'd be really sore for a while and unable to keep up with my MA.

It is just a war for me.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My stance is usually one shoulder tucked, and the other open. Spine not bent - my leveling is all in the legs. Elbows always glued to sides, which is inspired by taking so many body kicks. As for unhealthy posture, I fixed all of that up before it could start to take advantage of me later in life.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bnt0DNKRv3gJiEyLHPFMgAIyIP8CtsEffvaaggnc6whYkCQcRNZsQ2L5Enb0guoFdD1esYl24qUgE2pCc0I9g0Nel2pUEmMYdb0Ey0G-=w470-h313-nc