Chen Taijiquan and Juji Gatame and Shime

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So....I was looking for videos and I came across this video

Now granted it is not a professional Judoka or Bjj grappler but it does show that Chen style is at least aware of
the MMA circuit and has some understanding of what is being applied out there.
When I first started Chen Taijiquan under one teacher and I talked about these things Fa jin was the answer but now we are seeing some of the thoughts on Chen Taijiquan and grappling on the ground.

I like the video I think it is interesting to see what a Chen Player may do in that situtation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The 20th generation, Chen Taijiquan, has gotten very interested in Sanshou and this does not surprise me at all. But what they are doing is applying qinna to grappling which has been a CMA thing for a very very long time.

OP
oaktree

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know the qinna has been around just never saw Chen style be asked a question how would you deal with this technique and give a plausible escape in a grappling setting on the ground.
In my own time in bjj, I found when people trying to control my arms on the ground they had difficulty due to being able to use Chen silk reeling, and Taiji theory especially in guard position.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the "death hold". His opponent performs an "incomplete" technique and allows him to have a base (1 foot and 1 knee on the ground).

If his opponent moves back, drag him backward, and force him to sit on his hip, his counter won't work.

death_hold.jpg

This is a MA paradox. Counters that work when your opponent applies

- an "incomplete" technique do have value.
- a "complete" technique have more value. Unfortunately sometime there is none.

Last edited:
OP
oaktree

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree If the person applied it correctly perhaps he wouldn't have gotten out of it or perhaps a different approach to what is being applied. However, the average person and this guy applying it would most likely be the representation of the average person would apply it as he did.
But let's say he did go back and he was in a situation being choked depends how tight the choke is not many things even a professional mma fighter can do as well.
Bas rutten did a video about read naked chokes and was talking that when it is applied correctly you go out fast and if the guy is a stronger guy at least you tried something which is the point of the video to show that at least Chen Taijiquan is examining things on the ground and things we see in mma as example in the famous of Chen Bing and the mma gym which was hosted by my teacher.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bas rutten did a video about read naked chokes and was talking that when it is applied correctly you go out fast and if the guy is a stronger guy at least you tried something which is the point of the video to show that at least Chen Taijiquan is examining things on the ground and things we see in mma as example in the famous of Chen Bing and the mma gym which was hosted by my teacher.

Are you referring to the video of Chen Bing wrestling with Mike Pacelli ?

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
For the "death hold". His opponent performs an "incomplete" technique and allows him to have a base (1 foot and 1 knee on the ground).

It's obviously promotional video to boost taiji $$$$

OP
oaktree

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you referring to the video of Chen Bing wrestling with Mike Pacelli ?
Actually I am referring to the video that was created in Miami at least that is what my teacher told me it was. My teacher is bringing Chen Bing over this summer if I remember.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually I am referring to the video that was created in Miami at least that is what my teacher told me it was. My teacher is bringing Chen Bing over this summer if I remember.

Is your teacher is Steve Contes?

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't get excited about anything I see from China TV, especially when it comes to demonstrations of MA's etc. They have a very propagandistic approach to handling such programs... such as the infamous Tai Chi vs Judo clip from a couple of years back, not doing any favours to Tai Chi.

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If his opponent moves back, drag him backward, and force him to sit on his hip, his counter won't work.

death_hold.jpg

As far as I have been taught, if you let yourself get caught in a proper Rear Naked Choke you're a goner.

OP
oaktree

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wouldn't get excited about anything I see from China TV, especially when it comes to demonstrations of MA's etc. They have a very propagandistic approach to handling such programs... such as the infamous Tai Chi vs Judo clip from a couple of years back, not doing any favours to Tai Chi.
I was excited because we finally see Taijiquan in a ground fighting scenario with one of the most famous application, if I go to the Chen Bing seminar I would love to get some video of me and him going over some of those things and his explanation of it from a Chen style point of view. I would also like to see some sticking following principles in a knife defense

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I have been taught, if you let yourself get caught in a proper Rear Naked Choke you're a goner.

If you are very quick there's a couple of things you can do to get out but I have to repeat that you have to be fast. :)

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was excited because we finally see Taijiquan in a ground fighting scenario with one of the most famous application, if I go to the Chen Bing seminar I would love to get some video of me and him going over some of those things and his explanation of it from a Chen style point of view. I would also like to see some sticking following principles in a knife defense

Yes, a seminar with someone like Chen Bing will be well worth the time and expense, just don't put too much into what you see on Chinese TV.

OP
oaktree

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ZZJ can you explain more about the propaganda behind showing a possible escape using Taijiquan that the Chinese government has used its resources to showcase.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score

There no ground fighting in taiji. If taiji practitioner find himself on the ground a judo or BBJ he will be done.

Understanding limitation and advantages of tiji makes practitioner aware of where not to get into. All this promotional BS on tv only harm taiji. Any serious martial art has to have healthy respect to other martial ars - not to create ridiculous phony shows.

I did wrestle with Chen Bing for about 5 years. He is good in tuishou village type wrestling. He has good skills but definitely posses no extraordinary magical power to handle anything beyond it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
oaktree

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
NEVER claimed there was ANY Ground fighting in Taijiquan THE POINT WAS to showcase a possible scenerio in WHICH a TAJIQUAN player may find themselves and a POSSIBLE APPLICATION dealing with it. As my teacher told me, Chen stylist are aware of what is happening.
As for phony tv shows maybe it is a phony tv show with funding for propaganda however the application was legit with a reasonable, plausible means to escape it. Clearly ChenAn and ZZJ missed the point of the post and the intent behind it and rather focus on Government funding propaganda and MAYBE YOU should start a thread addressing that and stay on topic.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

death_hold.jpg

Yeah, on the one hand both the armbar and the choke were applied in a flawed manner, allowing for the counters shown.

On the other hand, if either technique were applied correctly and were sunk in equally far, then they are done deals. You're either going to sleep or getting your arm snapped. Asking how to counter them at that point is like asking how to counter a groin kick once the opponent's foot has already contacted your balls and started to drive them up into your pelvis.

On the third hand, it's probably better to show how to counter a correctly executed choke or armbar early, before it's 100% sunk in, rather than showing how to counter a badly executed choke or armbar that's all the way in place. Relying on the other guy to screw up isn't the best approach, IMHO.

On

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Counters can be applied for:

1. before - this is simple. As long as you can maintain proper distance, none of your opponent's technique will work on you.
2. during - you have to move just a bit faster before your opponent can complete his technique on you.
3. after - everything is too late now.

If a technique is performed correctly, there may be counters for 1, and 2. But there won't be any counters for 3 unless the guy who applies counter is a much stronger person. For example, no matter how perfect that a 5 years old who try to apply a technique on it, you can always counter him anytime you want to.

In that clip, both counters are shown the "after" stage. IMO, that's not proper.

Latest Discussions