Checking the Storm...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The next time I get into class I will try to execute the technique this way.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

Dr. Chapel could I ask another question to you. It just came into my mind. After reading your post on the cross block up, I was reminded of Defensive Cross. If I'm not mistaken (maybe I am, b/c it's been a long day for me) doesn't this "supposedly" use the cross block down to block the leg (for a split second) as the left hand rides back to the right ankle to drag the person out. I was just curious about your thought on this opposite.
Humbely,
Jason Farnsworth

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

The next time I get into class I will try to execute the technique this way.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

Dr. Chapel could I ask another question to you. It just came into my mind. After reading your post on the cross block up, I was reminded of Defensive Cross. If I'm not mistaken (maybe I am, b/c it's been a long day for me) doesn't this "supposedly" use the cross block down to block the leg (for a split second) as the left hand rides back to the right ankle to drag the person out. I was just curious about your thought on this opposite.
Humbely,
Jason Farnsworth

Good question, but no the answer is the same. There is no cross block in Kenpo. One hand defends then the second hand "captures." to be a "X" block, both hands would have to be deployed simultaneously.

In "Defensive Cross" the mechanism is the same as "Obstructing the Storm." The left hand blocks and the right hand controls so the initial block can then capture. Try it, deploying one than the other.

Good question. I see you have your thinking cap on. You're not only asking good questions but, your questions are drawing logical comparisons to see if the conceptual idea holds up under scruitiny. Anytime you guide or capture and use both hands, from "Captured, to Defensive, to Raining," they are always deployed in succession never simultaneously. Sometimes the timing may be tighter than a simple syncopation and end up being Mora beat, but it's still the same in my experience.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Doc

Good question, but no the answer is the same. There is no cross block in Kenpo. One hand defends then the second hand "captures." to be a "X" block, both hands would have to be deployed simultaneously.

In "Defensive Cross" the mechanism is the same as "Obstructing the Storm." The left hand blocks and the right hand controls so the initial block can then capture. Try it, deploying one than the other.

Good question. I see you have your thinking cap on. You're not only asking good questions but, your questions are drawing logical comparisons to see if the conceptual idea holds up under scruitiny. Anytime you guide or capture and use both hands, from "Captured, to Defensive, to Raining," they are always deployed in succession never simultaneously. Sometimes the timing may be tighter than a simple syncopation and end up being Mora beat, but it's still the same in my experience.

Dear Yoda,

What do you think about the attack for cross of death. The cross is employed simultaneouos with the intent to block blood and possibley air. And I would be most interested in your opinion for defensive cross. As I understand it- there is a trapping -striking redirect. I have never thought about doing it as say 1/4 beat timing for the sicsor type application.

Thankyou
RM:asian:

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, I'd like to thank Doc for sharing
his knowlegde of Kenpo. He has certainly made a few techniques run a lot smoother and more effective for me. THANK YOU.

Secondly, It just make sense to use quarter beat timing and double blocking even for a cross block.

In the old days when you would build up on knuckles and conditioned wrists, the "x" block was really a block and a jamming strike, specially against the shins. Or double sword strikes to the joints. Or used to trap attacking limbs to throw, redirect, or to pull. That is why the fists must be in vertical position (Palms facing sideways)

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman

Dear Yoda,

What do you think about the attack for cross of death. The cross is employed simultaneouos with the intent to block blood and possibley air. And I would be most interested in your opinion for defensive cross. As I understand it- there is a trapping -striking redirect. I have never thought about doing it as say 1/4 beat timing for the sicsor type application.

Thankyou

Hey I'm taller than Yoda:)

Anyway, Sir You guys are really thinking. But consider this. "Cross of Death" is a offensive use of the mechanism. However even so, my good friend Gene LaBell will tell you one hand "Seizes" control, and the other "strikes" before locking up. Notice that on offense the mechanism essentially reverses itself. Instead of defending first and then moving to control, you control first than move to offense.

To defend on "Cross of Death" you must stop the second hand, because it is a knockout, striking the Vagus Nerve at the Carotid Artery. The Vagus nerve is very important because it controls Sinus Rythym. In our interpretation of the technique we employ an inward block to "check" the second hand. this technique is like "Squatting Sacrifice" in many ways. Squatting is a "throwaway" created to teach you some things that are possible AFTER the man is down.

However the "ideas" for "Squatting" in the Technique Manuals are ludicrous and WILL NOT WORK. You cannot bend down and Seize a man's leg while he's is actively holding you in a rear bear hug. You will get supplexed. if you sit down on his leg, you Pin it to the ground, so you can't lift it if you do bend down. This particular assault is addressed in other techniques, that's why I said it is a "throwaway." However our interpretation is completely different.

In "Cross of Death" you should react to his first hand. If he were to complete the assault, you will be knocked out. I teach it not as a "choke" but as a "grab and strike to choke" which is what it is.

Sidebar: Both of these techniques "ideas" are wrestling/grappling based from the early era.

I'm not sure what you mean about "Defensive Cross," maybe you hadn't read the other post yet. Let me know.

Honest, I am taller than Yoda Sir.:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenmpoka

Firstly, I'd like to thank Doc for sharing
his knowlegde of Kenpo. He has certainly made a few techniques run a lot smoother and more effective for me. THANK YOU.

Secondly, It just make sense to use quarter beat timing and double blocking even for a cross block.

In the old days when you would build up on knuckles and conditioned wrists, the "x" block was really a block and a jamming strike, specially against the shins. Or double sword strikes to the joints. Or used to trap attacking limbs to throw, redirect, or to pull. That is why the fists must be in vertical position (Palms facing sideways)

:asian:

You sir are absolutely correct. Someone like you who has a broader martial education realizes even in traditional arts it is not just basically a "cross" of the wrist to block.

Thnak you for the compliment and you are welcome. Whenever I have time I will always share my experiences and knowledge (as long as they don't run me away) There are no secrets, only things we don't know. American Kenpo is even better than we think it is.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Thanks again,
Now, when I got up this morning I notice another technique that I thought used the same action. This was Capturing the Storm. I was taught to use the cross block up then ride it back to the elbow hyperextension and wrist lock. Do you once again employ one hand "and then" the other hand? Again, curious on your view although I'm sure it's still the same.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Thanks again,
Now, when I got up this morning I notice another technique that I thought used the same action. This was Capturing the Storm. I was taught to use the cross block up then ride it back to the elbow hyperextension and wrist lock. Do you once again employ one hand "and then" the other hand? Again, curious on your view although I'm sure it's still the same.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

You are correct :asian: same concept. Right, left, right. Once you work one out, we can talk about another. Mr. Parker says, "Man who put to much on plate, can't eat all he has."

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Doc

You are correct :asian: same concept. Right, left, right. Once you work one out, we can talk about another. Mr. Parker says, "Man who put to much on plate, can't eat all he has."

Dear Yoda,

Didn't see the other post- Works for me. One question cross of death- so the attack is definitetly an offensive Kenpo technique in and of it self? That would hold true for all the grappling type attacks but not so much for some of the other attacks that seem to be singular in nature... would this be correct?

Thankyou

PS for example sword of destruction- Oh yeah Yoda- only looks small.

PPS Squating Sacrifice is dependant on rooting but not with the feet so much as the entire self. When that is done the person would be extremely hard to pick up, if at all even possible. I would say it uses some very advanced concepts to be executed with any success against an experienced grappler.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman

Dear Yoda,

Didn't see the other post- Works for me. One question cross of death- so the attack is definitetly an offensive Kenpo technique in and of it self? That would hold true for all the grappling type attacks but not so much for some of the other attacks that seem to be singular in nature... would this be correct?

PS for example sword of destruction- Oh yeah Yoda- only looks small.

Absolutely. techniques are supposed to be studied from both the offensive and defensive perspectives, otherwise neither can be learned properly.

PPS Squating Sacrifice is dependant on rooting but not with the feet so much as the entire self. When that is done the person would be extremely hard to pick up, if at all even possible. I would say it uses some very advanced concepts to be executed with any success against an experienced grappler.

That is a serious observation. You are correct, however "rooting" as you call it cannot take place for our purposes with the legs spread so the technique would be negated anyway. There is "Misalignment Technology" that has to come into play here, but you're right. Did you use the phrase "Advanced Concepts?" I got in trouble when I put that on our patch. You're right on the money Sir. "Ummm, Good Jedi, you make."

"These are not the techniques you're looking for, move along."

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Doc

That is a serious observation. You are correct, however "rooting" as you call it cannot take place for our purposes with the legs spread so the technique would be negated anyway. There is "Misalignment Technology" that has to come into play here, but you're right. Did you use the phrase "Advanced Concepts?" I got in trouble when I put that on our patch. You're right on the money Sir. "Ummm, Good Jedi, you make."

"These are not the techniques you're looking for, move along."

Is it just me or all good kenpoist star wars fans :xwing:

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by jeffkyle

I am a good kenpoist?

Yeah....but only when you do your hair like the princess and say help me obi one konobe over and over

Latest Discussions