chanko nabe

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
O.K., anyone who has seen my photo on here knows that I'm a very thin guy. I'm 6'3'' and a whopping 155-160 lbs. I've been thin all my life and even had to gain several pounds to qualify to join the U.S. Marine Corps. While in boot camp I was on double rations and my first duty station kept me on a special diet and excercise program to gain weight. Nothing has worked. In the past 15 years I've only gained about 20 lbs. Today I was watching a special on Japan on the t.v. and it was mentioned that there was a diet for sumo that is great for packing on weight but still relatively healthy. I know nothing about japanese food except what I've eaten in restaurants. The food is nabe and doesn't (according to what I've been able to dig up) have any set recipes. The point of my post is this... do any of you have personal recipes or access to recipes for nabe?

S

ShaolinWolf

well, the site banzuke.com has a recipe, two infact. I just looked on cooks.com right before I found this post, and they don't have it. so go to

www.banzuke.com for two recipes...

I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon....good luck!

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watch the sumo bashos on banzuke all the time but didn't realize there was anything else to the site. Thanks for the info.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A word of warning.

I read in a restraunt guide to Japan that the chanko nabe that the guys int he stable eat is not the prime source of their weight. In fact, it is not very fattening at all. It is the massive amounts of rice they have with it that causes the weight gain. IIRC, the nabe is what gives the diet a balanced nutritional aspect.

I will try to find the exact quote.

Do a web search on google or Yahoo on "Japanese Food Nabe" and you should get a few good hits.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Better bodies by better chemistry. Screw nabe; cycle Human Growth Hormone with Deca-Durabolin or Testosterone for 16 weeks. You'll be huge. :)

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Better bodies by better chemistry. Screw nabe; cycle Human Growth Hormone with Deca-Durabolin or Testosterone for 16 weeks. You'll be huge. :)
Yep, I'd be huge... and broke and divorced because of the roid rage episodes.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. True. I struggle with ectomorphism, as well. At 6'3", I weighed 186 AfTER years of training and eating to put on size. It put me 1 pound into the same weight division (at the time) as the guys who were 260, so I got smacked around rather easily, and couldn't hit them hard enough to hurt them. (My brother has a pic of me washing the car at 165 lbs with the big hair of the day...looked like a piece of brocolli stickig out the top of the straw).

Gaining mass naturally can be done, but it honestly requires a building up of core mass (muscle) and a huge dietary focus shift. Start eating a diet that's LITERALLY 6000-10,000 calories a day, minimum, and training with strength training (can be weights, functional training, animal gymnastics, but something that works multiple muscle groups to fatigue) everyday, with one day off every 4th day. Jump on Creatine: The initial weight you gain will just be water, but creatine effectively hydrates deep muscle tissue, and provides ample ATP precursors for energy production to help you transform those calories into resistance movements, leading ultimately to muscle hypertrophy & size gains.

Muscle is a denser tissue than fat, so you need less of it (space-occupying wise) to weigh more than you do with fat. Also, lotsa bodyfat is bad for you. The Sumai guys, even the "in shape" ones, have a healthy dose of fat deposited in the omental bursa...one of the top key indicators for risk for heart attack. So shoot for muscle; you'll look better, be stronger, and live longer. Eventually, the strength gains made by supplementing with creatine will be accompanied by real size gains, and you can get off the creatine. You will notice a strength/stamina change, but you'll live.

This isn't an overnight fix; it's changing your body by programming it with different/new information that places a specific demand on it. Commit to this for a 6-month minimum...there will be times of gain, and times of plateaus where your body holds off on providing further gains until it knows you're really serious. Take a before and after photo, because...since you look at yourself everyday...you won't always see the difference without a comparator.

Finally, when you train, train hard (I mean, really blast it). Our bodies manufacture and store the same amount of our own growth hormone as it did when we were growth spurting as kids. It just doesn't release it except under certain circumstances. One of the best documented ways to facilitate a growth hormone release from the endocrine storage system in the brain, is through intense exertion/exercise. Sprinters are ripped, and big. It's the slower marathon runners who are depleted and lean.

Have you ever gone backpacking on a really hard trail, and had the experience of...within days...getting more cut, and more muscular? Notice how some of it sticks around for a couple weeks after returning to civilization? Some of the first effects, and almost all of the latent effects are the result of the HGH release in response to the challenge of the trail.

Also, your own HGH won't make you aggro and roid ragey, just for the record. A pro body-builder trick is to use HGH supplementation when training for a show, because it does not show in the blood or urine as a testosterone ether (what they look for in a steroid test). The odd part is, it makes them larger like steroids do, but not stronger. You can tell who the growth junkies are in the gym by spotting the Mr. Olympia-sized guys who are ripped like the Crusher, but can barely do their single arm curls with a 20 pound dumbell. The big guy next to him using the 120 pound dumbells is on roids, as they effect strength along with size.

I'm glad you've decided to stay off the "gear". It's bad for you in a lot of ways, and unless your going through male menopause somewhere in your 50's, you don't really need any extra Test floating through your veins. Even without true rages, test/est balance levels seem related to just about all of the boorish behavior associated with the dark side of being male. Not to mention, it affects hair loss, benign prostatic hypertrophy, risks for testicular cancer, neoplastic lesions (tumors) on the liver, liver function with accounts of permanent changes in cholesterol balance leading to increased risks for heart disease, and plenty of other not-so-good stuff. Stay away from the Over the Counter test precursors, too (Andro, DHEA, etc.). They have a higher rate of turnover to estrogen-like hormone derivatives, and you're more likely to get tender nipples and moodiness then size gains. The hormonal rubiks-cube derivation that creates this phenom actually inhibits the activity of natural levels of test in your body, so you get all of the feminization, with none of the desired gains. Incidently, the great baseball records set on Andro were NOT set on Andro. It's presence in the body tests just like a steroid, so steroid users could test positive, then hold up an Andro bottle as a diversion. One of the baseball players claiming andro-assistance during the record breaking contest trained at a gym I frequented in Newport Beach; more than once I walked in to the mens room to see that famous ball-player getting his roid injection by his brother and training partner. Andro, my...

Anyway, eat a lot, train hard, and drink 3-4 protien shakes a day (I recommend Muscle Milk, because of the fats profile, micellar protiens, and colostrum-type ingredients...good for gut integrity and GI health...no, I don't own stock in the company; it's just a really good product). I gotta go pick up my new glasses' can barely see the keyboard.

Regards,

Dr. Dave

M

MGM

I recall seeing a TV program on Sumo wrestlers. One thing that stood out was that they were chosen to "train" at about the age of 12 the key factor to being selected is their weight.

If you have been thin your whole life you likely always will be. Eating a good healthy diet and getting exercise is a good idea for all of us. But we each have our own body type and we can only do so much to alter it with out causing harm.

Latest Discussions